Sponsored

Chrysler Sells your Email address to spammers -- beware!!

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I've spent a lot of time cleaning up my email address by unsubscribing and reporting spam to gmail. Now that I've bought a Jeep I'm getting spam emails about Urgent sale prices on extended warranties. I know these emails have been discussed before on this forum. This is not about which warranty to buy. But the fact that Chrysler is so low and greedy that they will sell their customer's email address for the $2 extra that they can get from you -- indirectly. God darn it! Fix my steering and f*ck off with the spam. I'm not going to extend my warranty. This latest one is from:
[email protected] (CR Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram 1211 US-223 Adrian, MI | 49221 US)
which is not Mopar or FCA -- is a dealer in Michigan. I live in California.
I can't f'n believe this!
Sponsored

ralphgb

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
Believe it. I gave FCA a custom email address that I created just for them. If anything untoward starts flowing in, at least I'll know I where it came from. If it gets bad I can just delete that email address.

OP
OP
cosmokenney

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
EVERY company you give your email address to sells it to spammers. Welcome to the internet.
I really believe that used to be the case. But people figured it out and got up-in-arms over companies that were doing it. So most companies nowadays keep their customer info private. I guess I should assume that any company sells/shares contact info unless I read their privacy policy.

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
Every manufacturer does this, it wasn’t random people. They are all dealerships. They want to sell you an extended warranty. They are legit warranties by FCA. Some people get a better deal buying out of state instead of locally.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I get extended warranty emails about 2x a week. Meh, just delete it.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
When I purchased my jeep I never gave my email address and the dealer just either made one up or put one in there. I never received any emails of course. FCA called me about the jeep wave program and they wanted to verify my email address they read off the incorrect email address and I said no that’s incorrect they wanted my correct email address I asked why they said “sir We do not send any spam emails out or sell your address we only want it in case we need to get in touch for warrantee or recall information only” I gave them my correct email address and it was exactly what I was afraid of. They completely lied and I constantly get emails from which they said I would never get any. Same exact thing happened with Yamaha Corporation and a recent purchase, so yes I think they’re all the same scumbags.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
FCA has had my address since day one. All the warranty offers were from FCA and they supported when I opted out.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Ever since I joined this forum I've been obsessed, lost all my friends, and endlessly wander the forum topics for something... anything... of interest. The junk emails are my only form of contact with the outside world other than this forum. I, for one, count that as a win!
:clap:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know how you could ever tell which company sold your email to spammers. Big deal.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Believe it. I gave FCA a custom email address that I created just for them. If anything untoward starts flowing in, at least I'll know I where it came from. If it gets bad I can just delete that email address.
Well done sir. :like:

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I don't know how you could ever tell which company sold your email to spammers. Big deal.
By giving a different email address to every company. Easy. If my Gmail address is [email protected] and I want to allow, say, Costco to send me email I give them the email address of [email protected]. Going forward if I start getting spam from some other source I'll know it was Costco. At that point I can *try* to opt out to see if it works or just designate that address in Gmail to go directly to the bit bucket. There's literally a handful of people to whom I've given my raw email address. Can someone easily decipher this if they want to spend a few minutes on it? You bet, but that's not how spam operations work - it's high volume + low effort and any effort spent trying to do work like that is wasted from a business perspective.

(edited to add): BTW I'm not accusing Costco of anything, I've had no issues with them, was just using them as an example.