Sponsored

Chrysler Buy-Back...waiting on the JL

Exodus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon, 2016 JKU Sport, 1999 Tj Sahara
I bought my wife a 2016 JKU Sport and it began leaking water in the freedom top 20+ days after it was new. We took it to the dealer 13 times over the next year trying to get the thing fixed. They had everyone in the area and even some corporate guys look at it and finally decided that it is one that cannot be fixed. We were contacted by the 3rd party company regarding the buy-back procedures of this headache. They made an offer to buy back the jeep at MSRP(which we didn't pay to begin with), plus reimburse us for all the add-on parts we had receipts for. They charged us for 30000 miles of use at .20 per mile, so $6000 will be coming off the actual reimbursement. We decided that since the buy-back deal requires us to buy a new jeep at MSRP, with no incentives or rebates allowed....it seems to make the most financial sense to spend that money on the newest version of the Wrangler, the JL. However, I haven't been able to order it yet because the dealership we are going through says they aren't allowed at this point. So we are playing a waiting game. It does appear that others are getting theirs ordered from what I've seen online. Sorry for the long post, but I'm wondering 2 things. 1.) Can I order one yet or not? 2.) Is my logic about waiting for the newer JL a sound decision? I don't think I've missed anything, but there is a wealth of knowledge on Jeep forums and I would like to hear what you think.
Sponsored

MLPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Willys JK 6M

loco

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrangler 2dr sport S
I bought my wife a 2016 JKU Sport and it began leaking water in the freedom top 20+ days after it was new. We took it to the dealer 13 times over the next year trying to get the thing fixed. They had everyone in the area and even some corporate guys look at it and finally decided that it is one that cannot be fixed. We were contacted by the 3rd party company regarding the buy-back procedures of this headache. They made an offer to buy back the jeep at MSRP(which we didn't pay to begin with), plus reimburse us for all the add-on parts we had receipts for. They charged us for 30000 miles of use at .20 per mile, so $6000 will be coming off the actual reimbursement. We decided that since the buy-back deal requires us to buy a new jeep at MSRP, with no incentives or rebates allowed....it seems to make the most financial sense to spend that money on the newest version of the Wrangler, the JL. However, I haven't been able to order it yet because the dealership we are going through says they aren't allowed at this point. So we are playing a waiting game. It does appear that others are getting theirs ordered from what I've seen online. Sorry for the long post, but I'm wondering 2 things. 1.) Can I order one yet or not? 2.) Is my logic about waiting for the newer JL a sound decision? I don't think I've missed anything, but there is a wealth of knowledge on Jeep forums and I would like to hear what you think.
The dealer I am dealing with on buying a JL says that they will not be able to order until late Nov. The VON codes are in their system but they say that they don't have MSRP pricing yet. Nor do they have the standard options list. I think some of these dealers are taking orders in their systems knowing that jeep will not start production until next month or early DEC. I am talking to the owner of a Georgia dealership and a sales manager in Florida just to keep them honest. Be patient, I am sure by middle or the end of Nov. you can order a JL and get a Vin number for it.

Eugene the Jeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in black
I think your financial analysis is definitely sound. Since you are forced to pay MSRP, it makes no sense to buy a JK over a JL since you won’t be able to take advantage of the discounting we’ll see on JK’s once JL’s hit dealers.

loco

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrangler 2dr sport S
I think your financial analysis is definitely sound. Since you are forced to pay MSRP, it makes no sense to buy a JK over a JL since you won’t be able to take advantage of the discounting we’ll see on JK’s once JL’s hit dealers.
I ordered a 2018 unlimited 9/15 thinking it was the new re-designed unlimited. I told the sales man that I heard they were coming out with a re-design. He swore there were only minor changes. At the time, I am sure he was telling the truth as he knew it. I put a condition on the deal that if they were coming out with a re-design they could sell the 2018 JK I ordered on their lot and order me a re-design unlimited. 10 days ago when the forum showed the JLJL74 code for the JL, I called him. It was not on his system. The next day he called and said it was now on their system. He can put in an order but they don't have standard equipment list or pricing yet. His owner told him that pricing and equipment might not be there until late next month.
You are right, why buy a JK when you can wait another month to order a JL. Why buy the 2017 JK with a 2018 title because the 2018 JK on the GA. lot is exactly the same as the 2017.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I bought my wife a 2016 JKU Sport and it began leaking water in the freedom top 20+ days after it was new. We took it to the dealer 13 times over the next year trying to get the thing fixed. They had everyone in the area and even some corporate guys look at it and finally decided that it is one that cannot be fixed.
This is a bolt on top that can easily be replaced. Has Jeep tried installing a new complete top? If the roof is defective then it can be replaced. That seems like a much easier option than a buy back that will cost you $6,000 in mileage. I wonder if the trade in value is higher than the buy back value.

OP
OP

Exodus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dealership spent the first 11 times replacing top seals and adjusting doors. All of this led to new leaks in other spots and oddly enough, doors that looked like they had been thrown on. Then they took panels off of a brand new Jeep, tried them and it still had the same problem. I was amazed that with all the attention thrown at it, we would still get wet every rainstorm that lasted 10 minutes or more. They have said that this JK may be sent back to the factory to evaluate what could be the root cause. I think it may be a tweaked body. When we bought the Jeep, my wife noticed that the inside door panel was different on the passenger side. That is where is problem was. Why would that happen from the factory? I don't know, unless there was an issue on the assembly line that we never were alerted to. We'll likely never get an answer to this.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I’m more amazed that after all that you’d be willing to ever buy another Jeep.

If nothing else I would certainly wait at least one model year into the JL’s life to avoid a similar occurrence.

Uscolt45

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Renegade
I’m more amazed that after all that you’d be willing to ever buy another Jeep.

If nothing else I would certainly wait at least one model year into the JL’s life to avoid a similar occurrence.
He already waited until almost the end of the JK line lol. It seems like they have at least tried to take care of ya. I would spring for the new JL. You’re already having issues with the JK, if I’m going to have issues, it may as well be with the latest and greatest.

I would also be interested in trade in value on it. Having to pay MSRP on the replacement is rough. Taxes going to come out again? Or will it look like a trade in, instead of buy back on paper?

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I'd get in contact with a lawyer just for the professional opinion. It's worth the shot knowing you might potentially save thousands.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Exodus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As for waiting a year for the JL to work out any kinks, we don't have an option to hold onto the old one that long. I am usually not one to spring out of the gates on new model years, but in this case, it has to be. As for the taxes, only money that goes over the original MSRP is taxable. It does work like a trade. There will be an amount that we owe for sure, because we're looking to get a Sahara in the new one and we only had a Sport to begin with. I thought about whether or not we needed a lawyer, but in the end, I don't know anyone who could advise me, so it would definitely cost me something. Also, It seems as though the buy-back is fair to me. Yes, I could just sell this jeep outright, but that would be giving someone else a known problem and then I'd not only feel bad for doing that, but might be liable for non-disclosure of a known defect. I mean, a Carfax check would surely show all these visits to the dealer. I'd prefer to stay out of courts if at all possible. I appreciate all the input so far. It helps me feel that I'm doing all I reasonably can in this situation.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Having a different door panel is indicative of "Something " major wrong. Could it have been damaged in transport, and transporter tried to repair ? Sure is a Mystery asking to be Solved...
I go with the frame/ body being tweaked between Factory and Dealer...

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
The fact that they worked with him for so many times - albeit frustrating as hell - shows that they at least care enough to help. Then to buyback? Worse has been done to others with issues with their new cars.

Us guys who love working on Jeeps all think we could fix that. I'm sure Jeep did too.

OP
OP

Exodus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We could have filed on this Jeep a while back as a lemon, but as Matt said, we loved it and really just wanted it fixed. The service advisor was awesome and he always thought they had gotten it right before we picked it up each time. When he became frustrated, we knew that something else was likely the issue. He was the first one to suggest that Chrysler buy it back. I was waiting patiently and politely to see what they would do. They seem to want to fix the situation. We have bought 3 Jeeps from them before and will use them again, just because of the customer service this time. My wife wasn't as happy with them through it all (trips 4-12 back to them), but what else could they do, but try?

Williepj

First Name
Dotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
The dealer I am dealing with on buying a JL says that they will not be able to order until late Nov. The VON codes are in their system but they say that they don't have MSRP pricing yet. Nor do they have the standard options list. I think some of these dealers are taking orders in their systems knowing that jeep will not start production until next month or early DEC. I am talking to the owner of a Georgia dealership and a sales manager in Florida just to keep them honest. Be patient, I am sure by middle or the end of Nov. you can order a JL and get a Vin number for it.
Sponsored