First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I just realized I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. I've been working night shift since 2011, and normally by the time I wake up, Santa has already left the presents on my front porch from his big brown sleigh. (Santa charges me money for these presents too. That's kind of lame when I think about it. Plus his sleigh says "UPS" on the side, and Rudolph is nowhere in evidence.)

So I'm on vacation today. I forced myself to get up early so I could get more daylight and get more done today, and now I'm sitting here waiting on Santa. I can't finish my winch install without these parts, and they're coming. They're somewhere en route to me as I write. O Santa where art thou? For all I know, the guy has been running five minutes before I woke up every day, and I might not get this stuff until 5:00 pm.

All this nattering is about sorting out the hawse fairlead and front license plate. The Smittbilt X2O winch came with a reasonably nice fairlead, but it will not work with the license plate bracket I selected. I do have a hobby machine shop, but after staring at the problem for awhile, I decided to just go with a fairlead that doesn't have a protruding logo on it. Nobody will be able to see it anyway. Then there was the matter of the bolts being just a little too short. I ordered new ones from McMaster-Carr, and they, too, are in the big brown sleigh.

Oh well. I'm getting closer and closer to having this finished, and then I can spend the rest of my vacation exploring places I would be scared to go without a winch!
Sponsored

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
So all's well that ends well. I got the parts. I got them installed. I hit the most nasty mud hole I actually know about, and I got a shit-eating grin on my face. Win!

Side note: To get the fairlead installed, I had to resort to deciding which box end wrench I was willing to sacrifice. I threw it in the forge until it was glowing orange, and reshaped it on my anvil to make it serve its purpose. I got on google to research chrome vapor poisoning while I waited for it to cool. I don't feel feverish, so I guess I'm good. (I decided to run a couple beads on some zinc plate one time, and after two short beads I totally got welder's fever, even though I had strong ventilation. Metal fume fever is no joke!)