Chris here from Southern California

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Hi everyone, I'm looking to get a 4wd in the next few years. I have it narrowed down to a 4Runner, Bronco, or Rubicon. I'm holding out until this crazy market calms down. My wife inherited a cabin in the mountains and I want a 4wd for navigating the dirt roads and snow.

For now I'm rolling with a 2005 2wd 4.3 liter GMC Sierra with a NV 3500 stick and 3:73 TruTrac. I have a bunch of off road experience with motorcycles. Not so much with hard core 4 wheeling except passing them on the trails on my bikes.

I hope to learn more about these machines and contribute what I can. Thank You!
Sponsored

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
4runner is a toyota which means BORING. Its outdated plasticy lookin interior proves that for some people, car buying really isnt an emotional decision at all.

When it comes to wrangler vs bronco, youll end up going with what you like more. If you fall in love with the ford, nothing I say is going to change your mind.

But to make things simple just narrow your list down to the rubicon, sahara, or sport because remember youre asking people who drive, think, and dream about jeeps on a daily basis.

OP
OP
OllieChristopher

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me boring is good. I have a Yamaha Super Tenere. That is about as boring as it gets. But it is very reliable. Emotion is of no consideration regards to vehicle purchases.

4Runner is the first choice due to it being not only capable but very reliable. Bronco has a bunch of features that are really nice but the reliability is not so good. Even after 6 generations Ford just can't seem to get it right.

The Rubicon is nothing short of amazing. At least the JK generation. Ever since my best friend and I saw the first 2007 JK Rubicon at the Oklahoma state fair we were intrigued. The only issue I have is it is a bit much for my needs. I have had plenty of rides and driven Wranglers from the TJ to present. Probably the most capable off road rock crawlers.

A lot of my choice will depend on on good balance of highway comfort and off highway capability. My uncles 4 door JK Rubicon is amazingly comfortable on the highway as it is off highway. He has adjustable suspension so that is a big plus.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
Welcome, Chris.

I considered a Bronco before purchasing my Wrangler, but with all the good times I had in my ā€˜93 and ā€˜03 Wranglers I simply couldnā€™t pass on another Wrangler. Iā€™m sure youā€™d enjoy a Wrangler and wouldnā€™t regret it.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
You're certainly in the wrong place for unbiased opinions, but I'll try to provide one. :LOL:

If you're just going to be traveling fairly well maintained dirt roads to a cabin in rain or snow, any one of these vehicles will be fine. Pick whichever one you like. If you do a lot of highway miles to get to the dirt road to the cabin, you might prefer the IFS of the 4Runner or Bronco over the Jeep's live front axle. The JL is hands down the best Jeep on the highway but tbh it's not the best vehicle on the highway. It's off-road where the Jeep shines. Off-road as in non-maintained, rocky, muddy uneven passages through rough terrain.

One trap I think you're falling into, don't think the Rubicon is the only real off-road Jeep. The Sahara, Willys & Sport are all very off-road capable and cost much less. In fact, from what you've said I'd recommend that you don't get a Rubicon. It just sounds like you'll be spending money on extra features you don't need and won't use (unless you're interested in stepping things up).

Last edited:

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I own a 2018 4Runner Limited and a 2019 2-door Rubicon.

My wife and I love the 4Runner. From our perspective, coming from a cramped Camaro (her previous car), the 4Runner is an excellent highway / road trip car. All 4x4 4Runners are very capable compared to your typical jelly bean shaped unibody CUV. It feels well bolted together.

The jeep is a different animal altogether. My previous car was a 1994 YJ so this Rubicon seems like a luxury car in comparison, so maybe my perspective is skewed. But I have absolutely no issues with my jeep on the highway.

I know you may think itā€™s not an emotional decision and that may be true to an extent... but what I can tell you for sure is that you should try the coin flip test. Take a coin, say ā€œheads, Jeep; tails, 4Runner*,ā€ flip the coin, and if you feel an instant brief pang of disappointment when you see the result- pick the other vehicle.

*Bronco withdrawn from consideration due to having to wait till 2023

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
My previous car was a 1994 YJ so this Rubicon seems like a luxury car in comparison, so maybe my perspective is skewed. But I have absolutely no issues with my jeep on the highway.
Seems like a luxury car? No, it is a luxury car in comparison. My previous Jeep was a '90 YJ. Driving that down the highway was like walking an overexcited husky, constantly trying to dart off in whatever direction it felt like. But it was good for me at the time as a 20-something. Just doing 55 down the highway in a YJ with the top off was a flying by the seat of your pants thrill ride. Saved me from countless speeding tickets.

But it is all about perspective. Being familiar with a YJ, my first thought about the JL was how amazingly rock solid it is on the highway. My wife's first thought, who is used to an Outback, was how wiggly it was on the highway. It totally depends on your perspective.

OP
OP
OllieChristopher

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One trap I think you're falling into, don't think the Rubicon is the only real off-road Jeep.
If I purchase a Jeep it will be the Rubicon no question. Between the Dana 60, electric lockers, electric sway disconnect and larger wheels, it's one of the the most capable 4wd's without major modifications.

The 4Runner and lower level Jeeps are going to take a bit of modifying for my comfort level to navigate.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Another thought.

are you planning on towing anything to this cabin? Like boat, ski doos, a trailer? Because ive got bad news for you about jeeps towing capacity.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
If I purchase a Jeep it will be the Rubicon no question. Between the Dana 60, electric lockers, electric sway disconnect and larger wheels, it's one of the the most capable 4wd's without major modifications.

The 4Runner and lower level Jeeps are going to take a bit of modifying for my comfort level to navigate.
The Rubicon doesn't have Dana 60s or larger wheels, if that matters. Larger (diameter) wheels give you less sidewall, and I would definitely not buy a vehicle for larger wheels. 17" wheels is as tall as I'd go if I was going to use the Jeep off road.

I had an early Bronco reservation and order, and canceled my order. I bought a 2021 JL two-door Rubicon. I wanted the most capable 4x4 I could buy.

I also daily drive a 4Runner. It is so capable and luxurious I tried to buy one about a year ago, just before putting in my Bronco reservation. I had an issue with the dealer so I decided to reserve/order a Bronco. The 4Runner is boring, granted, but it's dead-nuts reliable. It's got enough power, but not enough to impress anyone. It has more capability than most anyone will ever need, it just does it without pomp and circumstance. It's just a very comfortable, very capable, but boring, SUV. Oh, and it'll get you just about anywhere in stock form, with nothing more than better tires (traction). You don't have to mod it to make it capable. It's one of the most capable SUV in stock form. I've been very impressed.

If I didn't buy the Rubicon, for all the off road bits, I'd have absolutely picked a 4Runner. I think it's a better vehicle overall, just not a better vehicle for my very specific wants.

Last edited:

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a 4Runner once awhile back; it didnā€™t do anything for me. It didnā€™t even drive all that nice on road.

4Runner is due for a complete redesign in the next two years. The vehicle is archaic as it is; I wouldnā€™t buy one at this point. Perhaps look at used ones.

Good luck.

OP
OP
OllieChristopher

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Rubicon doesn't have Dana 60s or larger wheels, if that matters.
Poor choice of words on my part. Dana 44's and larger tires is what a meant. The Rubicon comes from the factory with 285/70 x 17 tires. Bang for the buck it is going to be a lot of rig with already very beefy running gear.

I personally would not even consider Dana 60's as they are way too heavy and I would never utilize them for what they are intended for.

are you planning on towing anything to this cabin? Like boat, ski doos, a trailer? Because ive got bad news for you about jeeps towing capacity.
I have my truck for that. I am fully aware of the Jeeps low tow capacity. Not to mention short wheelbase does not make a good tow vehicle.

I also daily drive a 4Runner. It is so capable and luxurious I tried to buy one about a year ago, just before putting in my Bronco reservation. I had an issue with the dealer so I decided to reserve/order a Bronco. The 4Runner is boring, granted, but it's dead-nuts reliable. It's got enough power, but not enough to impress anyone. It has more capability than most anyone will ever need, it just does it without pomp and circumstance. It's just a very comfortable, very capable, but boring, SUV. Oh, and it'll get you just about anywhere in stock form, with nothing more than better tires (traction). You don't have to mod it to make it capable. It's one of the most capable SUV in stock form. I've been very impressed.

If I didn't buy the Rubicon, for all the off road bits, I'd have absolutely picked a 4Runner. I think it's a better vehicle overall, just not a better vehicle for my very specific wants.
I can understand that. As I stated earlier "boring is good". Function and reliability are my only considerations when purchasing vehicle.

The cool thing about having a heavy off road background in motorcycles is I have been on almost every single black diamond to double black diamond Jeep trail in my area here in Southern CA. Most of these trails are a no go for anything that is street driven. I'm not apposed to some obstacles and a few rocks. OTOH I'm not into tearing up and possibly rolling my rig either.

Taking stock Jeeps, Broncos, 4Runners on stuff like John Bull, Holcomb Creek, Millers Jeep, Sherman Pass etc are not my cup of tea.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Make sure you'll test drive the Jeep and the 4Runner on the freeway at normal speed, for more than one exit. That should give you a better idea which one you prefer.

OP
OP
OllieChristopher

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make sure you'll test drive the Jeep and the 4Runner on the freeway at normal speed, for more than one exit. That should give you a better idea.
I have driven both. Just not the new generations. I already know the Jeep is not a road trip type for comfort. I'm explaining to my wife who is used to small cars that I can make the suspension comfortable with tunable shocks but a Jeep is never going to be her Lexus in regards to "cabin comfort".

It's why the 4Runner is a consideration.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have driven both. Just not the new generations. I already know the Jeep is not a road trip type for comfort. I'm explaining to my wife who is used to small cars that I can make the suspension comfortable with tunable shocks but a Jeep is never going to be her Lexus in regards to "cabin comfort".

It's why the 4Runner is a consideration.
The JLs definitely drive better than the JKs. The 4Runner will still be better on the road, no matter how much you customize the Jeep suspension. As long as you are ok with that, the Jeep is great.
Sponsored