Sponsored

Choppy tire wear on Rubicon KO2s

JeepJets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Hi all
2018 JLUR with 9k miles. Have had it serviced at dealer twice for oil changes. Just got it back and the dealer tells me my KO2s have choppy tire wear and there is nothing they can do about it. I have the lifetime warranty coverage and it's been only 9k miles. They did oil change and rotated tires (first time). The dealer is Bob Baker Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram in Carlsbad CA.

My question is wouldn't choppy wear at only 9k miles be a defective tire and a potential warranty claim? I get wear and tear isnt included but this seems excessive at such early mileage. Anyone else experience this issue and if so what did you do?

Thanks!
Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
No issues on my K02 tires wearing just greater pressure is at 37 on all 4 tires I'm very pleased.
12K miles all smiles.

Needalife

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ, 2019 JLU Rubican
Choppy tire wear (if we are talking the same thing) can be alignment, toe-in, or camber issue. Maybe tire but I would have a shop double check.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I have ran BFG KO2's (and their predecessors) on all my rigs the past two decades and have been more than pleased. However, proper alignment-as on any tire is critical and you must rotate every 5000 miles.

Sponsored

Shack

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have ran BFG KO2's (and their predecessors) on all my rigs the past two decades and have been more than pleased. However, proper alignment-as on any tire is critical and you must rotate every 5000 miles.
I second this. I've had great experience with all three generations (including pre - KO model) of this tire over 20+ years with the exception of one set early on that I didn't rotate regularly. That set got so "cupped" at 40k miles they'd shake the fillings out of your teeth at highway speed, a very expensive lesson. Generally these tires have always given over 60k miles of life for me.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Rotate them at 3-4K to keep them from getting noisy or rough riding. Of the 3 Jeeps I've owned, they have all chewed up front tires if you don't rotate them sooner than you would with a car.........Especially MT's.

Last edited:

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I rotated late at 8k and my rears were already over 50% depleted. I've got 9500 miles on my JLR now and it looks like I'll be replacing these within another ~8-9000 miles. I drive it spiritedly on the road and wheel it almost every weekend.

Mine are wearing pretty evenly though. No cupping / uneven treadwear and I've had the pressure all over the place.

Oscar 1

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 4 Door
2020 JL Choopping tires bad on the front. rotated three times currently have 14,000 miles. Drive around town mostly at lower speeds. Toed in a 16th. I’ve been to the dealer twice they cannot do anything. They’re saying this is the way the vehicle wears tires just rotate often.
Dan
Sponsored