Sponsored

Choosing between roof options

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
New to the forum and did the STFF already and didn't find a good discussion on JL roof options.

I'm gearing up to pick up a new JL and I'm having a really hard time deciding on a roof option. I went down to the local dealer and checked out a few but that wasn't very helpful. I'm hoping you all can help me out.

I'm not going to DD this car.
It will almost entirely be used for the Southern California weekends, with doors and roof off. Pretty much as naked as possible.

It looks like the soft top my be the best way to go because otherwise I'll need a place to store that huge hard top and might need help removing it also. But given the multiple options, I just want to make sure I won't instantly regret the soft top for an unforeseen reason. What else should I consider?
Sponsored

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
From what I've gathered on this forum, most people would probably steer you toward a soft top given how you plan to use your Jeep. And people really seem to be digging the premium soft top.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Resale value. You'll get all your money back with the hardtop "+".

OP
OP

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
Resale value seems exceptional with all Wranglers as is so I'm not too concerned with the marginal difference. Thanks though. Good to consider.
Curiously though, why doesn't the soft top retain value? Does it wear badly over the years?

I should have mentioned it will likely be stored outside.

OP
OP

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I've gathered on this forum, most people would probably steer you toward a soft top given how you plan to use your Jeep. And people really seem to be digging the premium soft top.
Thank you. All the YouTube videos I've seen really make the soft top look pretty great. Stands to be seen how well it holds up to the years of use ...

Sponsored

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Thank you. All the YouTube videos I've seen really make the soft top look pretty great. Stands to be seen how well it holds up to the years of use ...
Given how you're going to use it: Soft top.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Resale value seems exceptional with all Wranglers as is so I'm not too concerned with the marginal difference. Thanks though. Good to consider.
Curiously though, why doesn't the soft top retain value? Does it wear badly over the years?

I should have mentioned it will likely be stored outside.
The soft top plastics will scratch and fade. No getting around that, so when you go to sell it, you'll either discount it or have to replace the top.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Other discussions have included the fact that if you buy with a soft top only, you don't get the wiring/piping for the rear wiper, defroster and washer fluid. Not a problem if you never want a hard top, just a point to consider.

If I was in SoCal I'd probably just go soft top (especially if not a DD), but I live in the Midwest and it is a DD so I went with dual tops.

Halfdoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler
Not true at all. Hard top on JL is $1,195 option. Check value on say 2016 JK on KBB identical with and without hardtop. HT adds about &600 to value. There are no options on a Wrangler where you get all your money back at resale. None. Holds true for model upgrades as well.

Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
The soft top does not have a rear window wiper.

With the soft top it is more difficult to get stuff in and out of the back.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
We live in Georgia and my only “must-have” walking into the dealership was the dual top option. My wife daily drives our Jeep so she wanted the “security” and quiet ride of the hard top. That and the ease of loading groceries.
I’m a Jeep guy so I want the top off as much as possible and security to me means the ease to pull the soft top up whenever there’s a pop-up rain storm.
Somehow we walked out of there with a ton of options... but not my soft top. If I’m over here in Georgia kicking myself for not having one, I can only imagine how much I would want one in California for something that is mostly a toy anyways.
Garaging a Jeep with a soft top will definitely prolong the life of the top. The top itself is fabric on a metal bow frame and the windows are plastic. They don’t last forever but you can replace the skins (fabric/windows) when they wear out and the frame will last as long as the Jeep. The biggest thing is storing the window skins properly. If you hang them up in the garage when you take them off, they will last you many years. If you throw them in the cargo area and then pile crap on top of them you will find that they scratch easily and look dingy after a year or so.
If we used ours for the purpose that you’re describing.. soft top would be my only choice.
Best of luck with the purchase.

OP
OP

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow. Great responses all. Thank you.
Especially great point about the lack of windshield wiper and fluid lines on the soft-top only...
Looks like I'm going to go with the soft top still. Makes a lot of sense. Now I just have to find one locally that has the right options.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
My take: soft top, premium.

My reasons: locale (SoCal) and frequency of use (no DD.)

My suggestion: consider power soft top. Cons: price, something to break, maybe leak..pros: no manual removal, removal/close while in motion.

I'd suggest power top more in Florida given frequent sudden onset thunderstorms. I'd also suggest Bestop Sunrider in addition to hard top if rig is mostly front seat drivers only on Florida: interior open/close.

If you like things completely open: soft top.

If you like things completely open but hate window panel removal/insertion: power top.

Regardless: as you are not in a time crunch I strongly suggest you factory order for discount.

make sure you're good with this:

Make sure noise control isn't your first priority (hard top).
Sponsored