First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Interesting take. You don’t think the JL has an iconic look?
Don’t get me wrong, I love my JLs. I own two and had a third (2 door) for six years. But I love Jeeps (Wranglers) in large.

A Jeep Wrangler is an icon on its own. I think the JL is kind of a watered down (made to appeal to a larger audience) version and the JK opened the door to that happening.
I will give credit to the designers and whoever signs off on their choices of leaving the removable doors, folding windshield and removable tops on them… take any of those away and their will be riots.

But there isn’t really anything that makes a JL stand out on its own as an “iconic version” of the Wrangler, with the exception of the 392.

I might be wrong five/ten years from now but as it stands, I wouldn’t think twice about passing on a JL to own a LJ. They look and perform like I expect a Jeep to. They’re minimalistic and purpose built.
Same goes for a TJ, YJ, and any CJ.

I probably sound like the old man yelling at clouds.

Jeep Wrangler JL Choosing between a 2018 2dr JL or 2004 LJ 1712017444174-6s
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Don’t get me wrong, I love my JLs. I own two and had a third (2 door) for six years. But I love Jeeps (Wranglers) in large.

A Jeep Wrangler is an icon on its own. I think the JL is kind of a watered down (made to appeal to a larger audience) version and the JK opened the door to that happening.
I will give credit to the designers and whoever signs off on their choices of leaving the removable doors, folding windshield and removable tops on them… take any of those away and their will be riots.

But there isn’t really anything that makes a JL stand out on its own as an “iconic version” of the Wrangler, with the exception of the 392.

I might be wrong five/ten years from now but as it stands, I wouldn’t think twice about passing on a JL to own a LJ. They look and perform like I expect a Jeep to. They’re minimalistic and purpose built.
Same goes for a TJ, YJ, and any CJ.

I probably sound like the old man yelling at clouds.

Jeep Wrangler JL Choosing between a 2018 2dr JL or 2004 LJ 1712017444174-6s
It’s fair point. I personally love the design over the JK. To me, it took some cues from the TJ, which is probably my second favorite iteration of the Jeep. It added some great body lines, particularly in the four door iteration, and still kept most everything that makes Jeep iconic.

First time I saw the JL was on the cover of a mens journal magazine in 2018. I ended up buying the magazine and held on to it to this day because after I saw the JL on the cover I knew it would be my next vehicle.

image.jpg

Sponsored

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
LJ and its not even close.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
LJ. At 120k the JL is reaching the point where work WiLL be required. LJparts are cheaper, it will be easier to work on and keep running, and it’ll be going long after the electronics on the JL have gone TU and it’s been junked because of lack of parts availability. Those old Jeeps are like an old Ford 8N. Parts are cheap,common, and available. If the LJ is in any sort of decent shape it’d be my choice hands down.

Da Capt

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK sport
I've got a choice between a $20k 2018 JL and a $12k 2004 LJ.

I'm torn as I've owned both. I love that the JL, even with the 2.0, can handle up to 35" tires with ease and keep up with traffic. In the heat of the mid-west it has pretty good AC, and it being newer means *maybe* more reliable, even at 120k miles.

The LJ is cheaper to work on, I've had 5 of them, iconic looking with half doors (though, I do have a set of two white half doors for this new JL too) and the price itself is much cheaper.

What would you do?
LJ all the way. U gave examples to the why!

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
LJ all the way. Nice clean examples are getting harder and harder to find while clean JL’s are a dime a dozen. And if you change your mind later on it will be an easy sell.

That being said, I sold both of my LJ Rubicons to fund the current JL purchase.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a choice between a $20k 2018 JL and a $12k 2004 LJ.
What would you do?
Which ever one you choose, commit to it.; don't have one foot out the door (unless you have the doors off ;-)... both are going to require attention. The answer to which one lies in which end result you're after.

Sponsored

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
Go with the LJ. I just picked up a 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon for half the price of a JL. Less electronics and no ESS. It will still have it's issues, but a little bit easier to pay for the parts. :like:

RoadNomad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
The LJ is a classic and it won't leave you stranded. Its only going up in value, cant say that for the JL

Ask yourself the following question?

Do I like a down and dirty utilitarian Jeep or must I have all the fru-fru stuff in the JL. My wife would take the JL but I would take the LJ. lol

Just that simple, personally, I would snap up the LJ, mechanically and electrically far superior!

ijp4fun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05LJ 2015 Cherokee 2024 JLURX
Just a little visual food for thought.
I would go with the LJ if I were you.

20240402_110616.jpg

20240402_111244.jpg

20240402_111258.jpg
Sponsored