Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Winch first... you can wheel the Jeep stock and if you get stuck the winch will be what you need. Follow that with the lift and tires and whatever other mods you desire. Being able to self-recover is probably one of the most important skills you'll need off-road.
Sponsored

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Another vote for the winch first. I have a JLU Rubicon and have no interest in rock crawling. I also like to hit the trails and adventure parks with a few friends in my rig rather than with a club or with multiple vehicles. So, self-recovery was the most important thing for me.

I echo some of the other folks who said they want to use up the factory tires before thinking about upgrading. My plan is to hit some places in Texas, Colorado, Utah, etc. and learn what I can't do with the stock Rubi before considering 35s and a lift. First see if I'm okay with taking the bypasses or if I really want to not have to skip more difficult obstacles.

The first lesson I learned on that front was putting on some side steps before ever taking it offroad. My wife is not tall and me getting the JL was contingent upon adding steps for her. I bought some that I thought looked cool but ended up hindering me on some simple Level 2 trails, just because of the loss of clearance. I just ordered a rock slider/step combo to remedy that and now have to deal with trying to resell the step bars.

FrostySerb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Ram 2500 Mega-Cab LongHorn Cummins
My last built was low and armored and I won’t be doing that again, I realized I was spending money to protect stuff I would be hitting instead of building up and not hitting it nearly as much ... armor/skids are important but this time I am going up

*Im shocked at how many people are saying winch ... just don’t go wheeling alone ... where are you wheeling? Out of all my friends and my wheeling trips I don’t think I can 2 times stock rubicon needed a winch*

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
My last built was low and armored and I won’t be doing that again, I realized I was spending money to protect stuff I would be hitting instead of building up and not hitting it nearly as much ... armor/skids are important but this time I am going up

*Im shocked at how many people are saying winch ... just don’t go wheeling alone ... where are you wheeling? Out of all my friends and my wheeling trips I don’t think I can 2 times stock rubicon needed a winch*
never ever go alone.

https://www.cantonrep.com/article/20160117/NEWS/301179995

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
So I will provide a little bit different perspective.

My recommendation go with the 35's...I am assuming including new wheels. Here is why. Your new Rubi take-off tires and wheels will sell for between $1000 and $1300. That is if they have very very low miles...like still have the little factory nubs showing they are new tires and the wheels have no scratches or nicks. The more miles you put on the tires and wheels the less money you get for them. So, have the tires and wheels waiting for you at home. Drive the jeep in the driveway from the dealership, pull out the jack and take you brand new tires and wheels off, put on a set of 35's (that eventually you are going to buy anyway) and then put your stock 33's up of sale on this site and Craigslist.

Now a brand new shiny Warn Zeon winch costs about...$1300. Almost exactly what you will make selling your tires and wheels. Yes, the initial investment is higher...but you get half of it back. if you wait to change out tires and wheels the stock ones lose lots of value. Might as well do them first.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Hey guys,

New jeep fella here! I'm just trying to gather some opinions what mod I should do first. Just wanna hear what the community goes for first.

Im between getting 35 inch tires, a 2 1/2 inch lift or a winch. I have a 2021 Rubicon unlimited. Kinda torn on what I want first. Obviously I want all 3 and will eventually.

Thanks in advance!
Based on the comments it seems like every is assuming you are going to do a lot of off-roading. A winch is a must have for some, but Installing a winch is a waste for someone, like me, who doesn't off-road (like almost half of all Wrangler owners). Perhaps you can share your anticipated usage and that will better guide the comments.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Been wheeling my Sport for 3 years now and havent need a winch or to be pulled/winched once.
When i go offroading with a large, seasoned group, only a few actually have winches.
eventually ill get one but its not high on my priority list personally.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, I agree with the others. Go Winch first. You’ve got a Rubicon, even in it’s basic form it’s a VERy capable offroader. You can handle lots of fairly difficult trails with it.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
Wheel it. After a few trips you'll know what you need.

I use my winch around the house to rip bushes and smaller trees out of the ground. A winch is good for all kinds of things.

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Spend money on mods that will help you get out of trouble BEFORE spending money on mods that will help you get into trouble..
When I read that, I immediately flashed to this deep set of ruts I encountered, and I instantly appreciated the wisdom of the advice you just gave. If I tried those ruts today, there's a 98% chance I would have to use my winch, because I just don't have the clearance. If I had added the clearance first, there is probably still a 50% chance I would get stuck there. Getting the winch first was a good move.

I'm actually on this older thread while researching what to do about it now that I've bolted 200 pounds to the front, and I can definitely feel the difference.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Hey guys,

New jeep fella here! I'm just trying to gather some opinions what mod I should do first. Just wanna hear what the community goes for first.

Im between getting 35 inch tires, a 2 1/2 inch lift or a winch. I have a 2021 Rubicon unlimited. Kinda torn on what I want first. Obviously I want all 3 and will eventually.

Thanks in advance!
Definitely NOT just the lift. Take that off for now.

Your choices should be Winch or 35’s.

Depending on how you plan to use the Jeep will dictate the decision.

Do you want to mostly drive it on the street and go wheeling a few times a year? Get the 35’s - you’ll probably never need the winch.

Do you plan on going wheeling every weekend or possible free moment? Plan on testing the limits of your driving skills and Jeep? Want to do the most difficult trails you can stock? - If this is you get the winch 100%!!! First time you get stuck it’ll pay for itself and it will be much more helpful than 35’s alone would be.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!
Lift.. because its the gateway to pretty much everything else.

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
You're new to Jeep. You'll probably get in trouble, saying "ah sure, I can go through that muddy spot". We've all been there.

Winch will get you out of trouble, always. Lift and 35' should come together anyway.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I'd go a completely different direction.

The first mod on my new Jeep this time is skid plates. Protecting your drivetrain and rockers from damage is pretty important.

I'll echo the advice to get out and learn the Jeep before you figure out what to do next. Go out with a good group that will help you. Once you have a season of wheeling under your belt, you may find that your priorities change. And you'll have that time to save up for the mods.
Sponsored