Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread!

Rimfire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
looks like fun! @TreeHugger and i both live in Austin and are expecting our jeeps "soon" (his is about a week away, mine 2ish). Next time you head up this way let us know if you want some company out there. we are complete jeep noobs ourselves (we both come from riding dirt bikes).

your jeep looks great.
Sponsored

TreeHugger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Vehicle Showcase
looks like fun! @TreeHugger and i both live in Austin and are expecting our jeeps "soon" (his is about a week away, mine 2ish). Next time you head up this way let us know if you want some company out there. we are complete jeep noobs ourselves (we both come from riding dirt bikes).

your jeep looks great.
Yup, we're all learning together... And enjoy laughing at each other along the way.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

your jeep looks great.
Yup, we're all learning together... And enjoy laughing at each other along the way.
Fantastic. Y’all are a lot closer than I am. Be sure to let me know if you’re planning a trip out there and I’ll do the same. There was a rookie with an almost stock Mojito! sport. I saw him once or twice but didn’t get a chance to talk to him until we were airing up to leave.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks.

https://www.gpca.us/ for the hard top fasteners. They’re great quality.

I don’t have any free play before or after. No wobble or loose steering. I drove about 300 miles today and steering seems like it could be a little better but not vastly different. It’s very difficult to judge it honestly because it was extremely windy today so I was working hard to keep it going straight.
Are you still liking the Fox steering stabilizer?

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Are you still liking the Fox steering stabilizer?
I don’t have any steering problems so far so it’s kind of a non issue, I don’t think about it. So far so good.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Post 3 is updated with a few things I got done this weekend. Yesterday we had the freedom panels and the front doors off for the first time. That was a LOT of wind on the highway at 65 mph. 70 degrees felt like 50. Should have brought a jacket and a cord to keep my glasses from blowing away.

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
Hey @Chocolate Thunder , the build looks awesome with some really great hardware; nice work!

What are your thoughts on the Dynatrac lift since you’ve had it for a while now? On/off road.

From your pics, it seems to be sitting pretty level F/R and side to side. Also, did I read that right that with the Mopar LCA’s you’re casters in the mid-5’s?

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hey @Chocolate Thunder , the build looks awesome with some really great hardware; nice work!

What are your thoughts on the Dynatrac lift since you’ve had it for a while now? On/off road.

From your pics, it seems to be sitting pretty level F/R and side to side. Also, did I read that right that with the Mopar LCA’s you’re casters in the mid-5’s?
Thanks. I love this lift. IMO it has civil road manners. It seems that the springs are somewhat softer than I expected but not too soft or bouncy. I’ve only been off-road a handful of times, and only once with anything approaching serious rock climbing so far. But I felt very confident even having little off-roading experience with a 4WD vehicle. I haven’t tackled anything that even approached its limits yet (or mine) on trails rated 3 of 5. I haven’t measured anything but it seems level to the naked eye. I used a 1/2” spacer in front. Yes, the longer Mopar LCAs are all I used as far as caster correction. Well, that was true up until 2 days ago. I did something new Wednesday that I haven’t posted yet that I can tell has definitely increased caster. Stay tuned...

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah! A new addition! Can't wait to see what you've done now!

Thanks for the info, I think I may pull the trigger on this lift. Like you, I have 35's and I didn't want the roller skate look and I want a nice ride with solid ability to tackle up to moderate trails. I'm not tackling big rocks & ledges.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Ah! A new addition! Can't wait to see what you've done now!

Thanks for the info, I think I may pull the trigger on this lift. Like you, I have 35's and I didn't want the roller skate look and I want a nice ride with solid ability to tackle up to moderate trails. I'm not tackling big rocks & ledges.
I think you’ll like it. It fits that need very well. I’d have also considered the ARB/OME lift but it wasn’t out when I bought mine (before the Jeep was even built). If anybody has that one you might get feedback to see if it fits your needs as well.

Sponsored

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OME has a solid reputation, though I'll be honest...I didn't realize they had their JL lift out. I'll check it out as well.

Have a great weekend and I'll be checking back to see what's next...:like:

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Thanks for the info on the Milestars. I was sold on these until your posts. I may go with my old standbys of Goodyear MTRs for my wheeling/summer tires. They're freakin' expensive, though.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the info on the Milestars. I was sold on these until your posts. I may go with my old standbys of Goodyear MTRs for my wheeling/summer tires. They're freakin' expensive, though.
In fairness, I’ve come to like them more over time. After adjusting air pressure they’re better. They’re still not as quiet or comfortable as the KO2, but they’re not bad.

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
In fairness, I’ve come to like them more over time. After adjusting air pressure they’re better. They’re still not as quiet or comfortable as the KO2, but they’re not bad.
Still not selling me :) I thought the Milestars were a unicorn or something (yeah, being a bit overly dramatic). But if they're just "not bad", I'll probably stick with something that I know, even if they are 35% more expensive.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Still not selling me :) I thought the Milestars were a unicorn or something (yeah, being a bit overly dramatic). But if they're just "not bad", I'll probably stick with something that I know, even if they are 35% more expensive.
I ain’t mad at ya. I don’t work for them and have no reason to promote them. Just stating my thoughts and trying to be honest and fair about it. The KO2 are a better tire IMO hands down. But not by as big a margin as many might think. And if money’s a factor then value comes into play for some people as well. Good luck with whichever tires you choose and share your thoughts about them with the community.
Sponsored