Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread!

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Dozens of radar stations; all of them have matched the speedometer.
I never thought of those as being particularly accurate. When properly calibrated the accuracy of radar that police use are +/- 3-4%. A couple of tenths of a inch of diameter makes little difference.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I never thought of those as being particularly accurate. When properly calibrated the accuracy of radar that police use are +/- 3-4%. A couple of tenths of a inch of diameter makes little difference.
They are more accurate than that--especially when you are moving towards the radar. I used to be a radar "operator" in a former life.

I have checked using GPS as well (Garmin). I also think I have driven fast enough that if it was off substantially I would have been pulled over by now.

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I swear that my GPS app for some reason shows what the speedometer says when my phone is plugged in, so I have to have it unplugged to get a “true” reading (as accurate as it is anyway). I set the cruise control on a flat road to let it settle. I like to have my tire size set so the speedometer says 54 when I am at 55 by the GPS.

Scott

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I swear that my GPS app for some reason shows what the speedometer says when my phone is plugged in, so I have to have it unplugged to get a “true” reading (as accurate as it is anyway). I set the cruise control on a flat road to let it settle. I like to have my tire size set so the speedometer says 54 when I am at 55 by the GPS.

Scott
I couldn’t get mine set perfectly on my JK so I set it low as well. Figured I drive too fast anyways, I don’t need any extra help!

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
8/13/2022 45,957 miles

This evening I was able to finally mount my front bumper. It’s not a final fit - no fog lights or winch and 2 mounting holes didn’t quite line up correctly to be fastened - but it’s secure enough with 8 of the 10 fasteners to drive with it.

I like the way it looks. It completely protects the sway bar disconnect motor. I like that the logo cutout isn’t so prominent and gaudy like a lot of products. It’s not really visible or noticeable standing near the Jeep, you have to be some distance away or viewing from a low angle. My fog light wiring harness shipped today and will be here next week. I still need to make modifications to the fog light brackets. I’ve got amber Baja Designs Squadron SAE going in.

Jeep Wrangler JL Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread! image

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Elusive OEM parts are arriving. I got the fog light wiring harness in yesterday evening. Wired them up for a test run. All systems go. I need to finish modifying the brackets so that I can install them.
Jeep Wrangler JL Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread! E89E0259-4AD9-4DFA-9523-10698B5C1F1D

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yet another part delivery today! Hallelujah! I ordered a rear camera extension cable from ROX Offroad (through Walmart). If you use the Teraflex license plate relocation you will need this. The stock cable reaches but just barely. This one is identical only longer and replaces the stock one. I routed it through the other side of the tailgate through the vent where the plate light wire now runs so as not to mess up the seal in the plug where the original one comes through the tailgate along with the brake light wire. This part should have been included with the Teraflex part.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Still working on modifying the Baja Designs brackets. A test fit looks like it’s going to work. Looks like I’ll need to paint the visible part of the raw stainless steel bracket black.
NOTE: these are not the actual fog lights, they’re another pair of Squadron Pro lights I have. The fogs are the same size but have a round bezel instead of a rounded square.

Jeep Wrangler JL Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread! 43188FC3-22B4-491C-8BB5-F8C10D5AAD80

Jeep Wrangler JL Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread! 0A8462AA-6E46-4163-8CC3-A4F47B806754

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Still working on modifying the Baja Designs brackets. A test fit looks like it’s going to work. Looks like I’ll need to paint the visible part of the raw stainless steel bracket black.
NOTE: these are not the actual fog lights, they’re another pair of Squadron Pro lights I have. The fogs are the same size but have a round bezel instead of a rounded square.

Jeep Wrangler JL Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread! 0A8462AA-6E46-4163-8CC3-A4F47B806754

That really is a nice bumper, from the look, the weld quality, and the overall function, definitely a nice choice there :like:

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable

Hey Chocolate Thunder,
I can get some round bezels sent your way if you would like the round look. Shoot me a Dm if you are interested.
Best,
Brock

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hey Chocolate Thunder,
I can get some round bezels sent your way if you would like the round look. Shoot me a Dm if you are interested.
Best,
Brock
That’s awesome! Sent you a message. I’m off to go get my “Baja Designs 4 life!!!” tattoo on my forehead.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I went with Mopar lights, but should have stuck it out for Baja Designs.

Got the Pros and they drew too much power for the fogs? Just wouldn't work. I'll get the sports next time.

Look forward to your thoughts. :like:

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
8/19/2022 46,239 miles

So just a couple of weeks ago I discovered that I’d need low profile grease zerks in the Teraflex lower ball joints because of tight clearance with the RCV axles. I could only manage to get the 2 on the passenger side threaded in because of the tight space.

Today I coerced my wife who’s got much smaller hands to try to get them started. She hates helping me wrenching on vehicles in any way. Loathes it! She agreed to it because I agreed to go grocery shopping in her place. Once I showed her what needed to he done, she crawled under there and got them both started in the holes in about 15-20 minutes.

A small task but a big accomplishment.

Jeep Wrangler JL Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread! 3BE87914-29A0-42BF-84F8-8EC9886AE4EF

Jeep Wrangler JL Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread! 0E61EAEA-A965-4442-8287-3A1B06E8C177

snapper692

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU)
OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@Chocolate Thunder how you liking those 5.13 gears?
They’re 4.88. It’s better than the 37s were on 4.10. It seems to be getting better mileage and acceleration is better. I haven’t wheeled it yet but it didn’t really feel deficient rock crawling on the original gear ratio. The lower gearing should be even better.
Sponsored