Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread!

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
List looks good, I’d add Reid racing knuckles, or the JT Mojave iron knuckles. IMHO , I wouldn’t want all that beef your gonna do wrapped around lightweight aluminum knuckles…..
I’d considered that but it’s another $800. But if it’s necessary, it’s necessary.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’d considered that but it’s another $800. But if it’s necessary, it’s necessary.
Yeah, copy that….. keep this in mind… you have to remove the knuckles to replace the ball joints. So depending on if they come off fairly easy, your still pounding on aluminum.
Mine were pretty stuck on, I was glad I wasn’t putting them back on after beating the snot out of them…...🤣

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yeah, copy that….. keep this in mind… you have to remove the knuckles to replace the ball joints. So depending on if they come off fairly easy, your still pounding on aluminum.
Mine were pretty stuck on, I was glad I wasn’t putting them back on after beating the snot out of them…...🤣
All of this is going to be done by a shop, not me. It’ll save a little on labor having it all done at once.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I’m going to ask for the thoughts of those of you who have followed the progress of my build thread. I haven’t done a lot to my Jeep lately because a lot of the bigger things like a lift, tires, skids, etc are already done and I’m happy with them. However…

I’m planning on a Labor Day wheeling vacation in Colorado. Of course I want everything to be in tip top shape for the long road trip from Texas (1200 miles each way) and 3 or 4 days of wheeling mountain trails. Jeep has 41K miles, 2.5” MC lift, 37” tires.

Tell me if my upgrades are leaving anything significant out, if there’s something that could be done better, or your overall assessment of what I’ve got planned.
  1. Regear to 4.88 using Dana Spicer gears and installation kits
  2. Replace the rear axle shafts with new Dana Spicer chromoly shafts
  3. Upgrade front axes to RCV 300M shafts
  4. Artec C gussets and trusses front and rear
  5. New Teraflex ball joints
  6. New tires (undecided between Maxxis Razr, Cooper STT Pro, BFG KM3)
  7. Other minor things: SS track bar brack, AAL inner fenders, roof cargo basket

I'm going to say the 4.88's were absolutely worth it for the crawl ratio, but I'm on 35's. If it were me, and I had 37's... I'd opt for 5.13's.

That said, you will get better mileage with the 4.88's on those long drives.

The rest of the upgrades I would avoid unless you are replacing broken or worn parts. Reinforcing gussets, chromoly shafts (love the RCV's but so much work!), ball joints (why wouldn't you replace the knuckles if you are replacing the joints?), or inner fenders?

I'm sold on the trackbar brace, and tires are always the best upgrade. KO2's would be more comfortable on the long haul and give you better mileage. They work great on all the trails out here too. Not a lot of mud. Mostly rock and sandy/clay mix soils.

My .02

I think your current setup will do great, but I highly recommend the re-gear either way.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
All of this is going to be done by a shop, not me. It’ll save a little on labor having it all done at once.
I took too long typing a reply. If you are having a shop do the work, all at once does save on the labor.

I'm sure the ball joints will go at some point, and so will the shafts. When they do I intend to replace all at once as well. Most definitely getting knuckles when the ball joints are replaced. I like orange (Reid).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm going to say the 4.88's were absolutely worth it for the crawl ratio, but I'm on 35's. If it were me, and I had 37's... I'd opt for 5.13's.

That said, you will get better mileage with the 4.88's on those long drives.

The rest of the upgrades I would avoid unless you are replacing broken or worn parts. Reinforcing gussets, chromoly shafts (love the RCV's but so much work!), ball joints (why wouldn't you replace the knuckles if you are replacing the joints?), or inner fenders?

I'm sold on the trackbar brace, and tires are always the best upgrade. KO2's would be more comfortable on the long haul and give you better mileage. They work great on all the trails out here too. Not a lot of mud. Mostly rock and sandy/clay mix soils.

My .02

I think your current setup will do great, but I highly recommend the re-gear either way.
I’m already committed to 4.88, I’ve purchased the gears. I went back and forth between the two ratios. A lot. Decided on 4.88 and sticking with it.

Some of these mods are things I already was going to do anyway (inner fenders, track bar brace, tires), not necessarily specifically for this trip. Beefing up the axles, gear swap, knuckles/ball joints are things I want to upgrade before wheeling so far from home since this is our ride back and I want to keep it in one piece. Thanks for the insights.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Why’d you have to show me that? Now I have to justify another $800 in parts plus labor for this trip. Maybe if I show her that picture it’ll be easier to get her not to complain about the exorbitant amount I’m spending for this vacation before it even starts.
Sorry brother, I just wanted some company down here in the rabbit hole……😂

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
3/3/2022 41,131 miles

I’ve had a SteerSmarts track bar brace sitting around for quite some time because I was too busy then it was too cold. Well today was perfect weather and I made time after work to get it installed. Not too difficult.

Jeep Wrangler JL Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread! 6D43357D-B96D-45F3-9355-D98666E51D78

Jeep Wrangler JL Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread! B88DDB9C-ABC7-4F55-80C2-E5F6A9549C59

Jeep Wrangler JL Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread! 7D9CBDBE-9AC8-4166-8F8E-C1A0ED8FA225

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
3/3/2022 41,131 miles

I’ve had a SteerSmarts track bar brace sitting around for quite some time because I was too busy then it was too cold. Well today was perfect weather and I made time after work to get it installed. Not too difficult.

Jeep Wrangler JL Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread! 7D9CBDBE-9AC8-4166-8F8E-C1A0ED8FA225

Looks good! Now if all the welds on our Jeeps look like those...

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Looks like they changed them up some. Also, what Sway Bar links are those, I might need some new ones...
Jeep Wrangler JL Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread! 20220301_105002_resized
I think they revised the design slightly at least once. The sway bar links are RockKrawler No Limits. I’ve got a 2.5” lift but the links are for 3-5” lift.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’m still gathering parts for upcoming upgrades - RCV front/ChroMo rear axles, F/R Artec trusses, Reid knuckles, Teraflex ball joints, 4.88 gear swap. I just got my gear sets back from GearFX having REM isotropic finishing. Wow. It’s kind of a shame that they aren’t seen inside the differential.

Jeep Wrangler JL Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread! A96ECABB-6558-45EC-A4F0-E4FE23521FD8

Jeep Wrangler JL Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread! FCDC9009-080F-4A3D-B733-4A8AB949F672

I also picked up a brand new SteerSmarts Yeti drag link for a good price from @Izzo93 that I didn’t really plan on upgrading right now but couldn’t pass on the price. Thanks man!

psucanary

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Looks good! Now if all the welds on our Jeeps look like those...
3/3/2022 41,131 miles

Jeep Wrangler JL Chocolate Thunder’s Most Excellent Build Thread! FCDC9009-080F-4A3D-B733-4A8AB949F672

Any noticeable improvement in steering feel?

Appreciate the thread...
Sponsored