Chirping sound update. Transmission?!?

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Guys, recently posted a thread where I experienced a chirping sound upon shutting down the engine. Either the problem worsened or I notice it more, but now it’s very noticeable and it’s when the engine is running.

Squeezed the vehicle between 2 buildings to make it louder and made a video. The change in noise is when I play between reverse, neutral and drive with my foot on the brake.

My knowledge is limited when it comes to diagnosing stuff like that. Personally, I can’t think of anything else than the belt or a pulley that could make such noise.

But why would it be triggered by transmission gear changes like that. Anything in the transmission that could make this noise ???

what do you think?
Sponsored

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Transmission input shaft seal? It sounds like a rubber type noise but it’s hard to be sure. Need a third party to get underneath it.

rgtwng

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 BMW M4 ZCP, 2008 Jeep Commander Limited Hemi
Try turning the steering wheel and see if it chirps then also.

I have something very similar that I have been wondering about. Been doing a lot of google searches....this is the first time I have found something.

I notice mine in the garage when I am about to turn it off. At first I thought it was break related....then steering. Mine does it a bit after shutting down the motor.

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Transmission input shaft seal? It sounds like a rubber type noise but it’s hard to be sure. Need a third party to get underneath it.
Yes, will try and get underneath today.

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Try turning the steering wheel and see if it chirps then also.

I have something very similar that I have been wondering about. Been doing a lot of google searches....this is the first time I have found something.

I notice mine in the garage when I am about to turn it off. At first I thought it was break related....then steering. Mine does it a bit after shutting down the motor.
Steering doesn't change anything. Mine was squeaking ones or twice a few seconds after engine shutdown, that's how I first noticed it in my garage due to sound bouncing. Now I hear it while the engine is running as I enter my garage or as the video shows, between buildings where the sound can bounce back. Otherwise on the road I cant hear anything.

It's bugging the heck out of me and I will dive under the jeep today and try to isolate it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Additional info, doesn’t do it when cold.

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
New update, it comes from the rear brakes!!!! What would cause rear brakes to chirp like that ???
Got the rear wheels off now, but not sure what I’m looking for!?

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
New update, it comes from the rear brakes!!!! What would cause rear brakes to chirp like that ???
Got the rear wheels off now, but not sure what I’m looking for!?
Long shot here but I remember one time with my JK, one of the rear brakes had the little retaining clips that hold the brake pad in fall out or was partially missing. Something like that. I replaced the clips and the noise went away.

I can't even remember what exactly the noise was but I am pretty sure it was some sort of chirping noise.

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Long shot here but I remember one time with my JK, one of the rear brakes had the little retaining clips that hold the brake pad in fall out or was partially missing. Something like that. I replaced the clips and the noise went away.

I can't even remember what exactly the noise was but I am pretty sure it was some sort of chirping noise.
thank for the info, well check it out.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Guys, recently posted a thread where I experienced a chirping sound upon shutting down the engine. Either the problem worsened or I notice it more, but now it’s very noticeable and it’s when the engine is running.

Squeezed the vehicle between 2 buildings to make it louder and made a video. The change in noise is when I play between reverse, neutral and drive with my foot on the brake.

My knowledge is limited when it comes to diagnosing stuff like that. Personally, I can’t think of anything else than the belt or a pulley that could make such noise.

But why would it be triggered by transmission gear changes like that. Anything in the transmission that could make this noise ???

what do you think?
A dry or failing U-joint can also cause a chip sound.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5

Long shot, but Bullseye🎯 after your comment I decided to take the Calipers off, clean everything and used a cream lube where the pads sit.
And voilà!!! no more noise🍻 So I decided to do all 4 wheels.

Thanks all for your help, that chirping was making me nuts😵💫

RedRiot88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Long shot, but Bullseye🎯 after your comment I decided to take the Calipers off, clean everything and used a cream lube where the pads sit.
And voilà!!! no more noise🍻 So I decided to do all 4 wheels.

Thanks all for your help, that chirping was making me nuts😵💫
Did this completely fix the issue? Are you having it anymore?
I have been back to the dealership twice for this on my 2021 and they replaced the pad and caliper on my drivers side rear. It goes away for a little bit but then comes back a month or so later.

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Did this completely fix the issue? Are you having it anymore?
I have been back to the dealership twice for this on my 2021 and they replaced the pad and caliper on my drivers side rear. It goes away for a little bit but then comes back a month or so later.
Nope, never came back. But I did clean and grease everything real good. If it does it again, I know exactly what it is, its those metal clips that hold the pads in place that are responsible for that noise. So if your dealer changes the pads and keep the same clips, that would be why the noise remains.

362AD5EA-3346-43AF-8FC4-351CE37692F9.jpeg

RedRiot88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Nope, never came back. But I did clean and grease everything real good. If it does it again, I know exactly what it is, its those metal clips that hold the pads in place that are responsible for that noise. So if your dealer changes the pads and keep the same clips, that would be why the noise remains.

Jeep Wrangler JL Chirping sound update. Transmission?!? 362AD5EA-3346-43AF-8FC4-351CE37692F9
Thank you for the update. I will mention to them when I take it in on the 24th of this month

syismaster1

First Name
Sy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys

what do you think?
I am having the same noise when I change from Park to reverse or drive; I don’t think it’s when I idle and it’s not Everytime I shift. Do you think it could be the same issue? I’ve noticed this issue for a while but now it’s kind of loud and my car slams into gear sometimes when I shift the lever. I have a Willys if that helps at all.
Sponsored