Sponsored

Chirping noise when moving (not wind noise)

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My 3.6 has started making a slight chirping/crickets noise when in D or R. It's audible at very low speed, like 1-3 mph. (I guess at higher speed all the other normal noises drown this noise)

What can it be? Serpentine belt?

EDIT: I changed the noise description from "whistling" to "chirping", which is more like what it sounds.
Sponsored

Last edited:

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Does it appear to be coming from the engine bay, underneath the vehicle or somewhere else?

OP
OP
aro

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It comes from the front half of the vehicle. It's audible only when in D or R. If I put it in N as I roll, it stops.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
It comes from the front half of the vehicle. It's audible only when in D or R. If I put it in N as I roll, it stops.
I had one when I first got mine (it was 2 yrs old). It was related to the screws on the windshield being loose, but not at that low of a speed.

I have had some odd noises from the transmission on occasion, different than any car I had in the past, but only on a cold start. Does it go away after the vehicle is warm (so, if you drive somewhere and do a short stop, is it still repeatable?)

OP
OP
aro

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Definitely not wind noise at 1 mph. After driving, the Jeep sat for a couple of hours in 90 degrees F, so I guess it was still kinda warm.

I'll have to check though if it makes the noise after driving it for a few minutes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aro

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Ok, I figured out the source. It's one of the front brakes...

If I put it from park in neutral, release the brake pedal and start rolling down the driveway, I can hear the chirping just as I release the brakes and it starts moving. Every time I do this there is chirping when I brake, but especially when I release and roll down. There is no chirping if I brake and release while in park.

It looks like the brake is the root cause, and the movement is what triggers the root cause to make noise.

The other thing is that it makes the noise as it starts rolling, but only for 2-3 seconds. After that it's quiet.

Last edited:

rgtwng

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 BMW M4 ZCP, 2008 Jeep Commander Limited Hemi
Did you ever figure out what on the brake was chirping?