Chirp / Whistle in brand new EcoDiesel

alwaysJL

First Name
AleJL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
any update do not hesitate to share it, it will be very helpful for anyone who has the same problem, thanks!
Sponsored

Bohica

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
Yep...I hear it too. Not normal. Looking for the update (after holiday).

OP
OP
New2Jeep2022

New2Jeep2022

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Sport S
Update: they took it this morning. Advisor drove in the car with me (just like one did last week as well). Heard the noise. Thought it was ā€œdefinitely the AC!ā€, just like the advisor last week said. I said um well go ahead and turn that AC off there buddy ā€¦ noise is still there. He agrees, they take the car in. I just get a text:

ā€œGood afternoon this is Ben from *dealership*. We did the alignment on the vehicle. The technician could not verify the chirping noise on the vehicleā€

šŸ™„šŸ™„šŸ™„

So, no update yet. Iā€™m going in tomorrow to drive it with him and point out the blatantly obvious noise that literally everyone else at that dealership who was in the vehicle could hear. So annoying. Like could none of the advisors who heard it with me manage to go point it out to the tech? Good lord, what is the point even of the advisor at all?

morlan52

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
SCADA Engineer
That sounds like it is coming from the electric power steering pump. it makes that spooling down noise when it cycles off after your steering wheel stops moving. the whistling noise in your video does not sound normal.

its on the passenger side frame rail behind the inner fender liner (kind of below the headlight). try taking a video from the outside with it running and have someone do the same thing you did in the video where you move the wheel and then stop - should be a very distinct noise.

I would also check and make sure the power steering reservoir is full.

OP
OP
New2Jeep2022

New2Jeep2022

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Sport S
That sounds like it is coming from the electric power steering pump. it makes that spooling down noise when it cycles off after your steering wheel stops moving. the whistling noise in your video does not sound normal.

its on the passenger side frame rail behind the inner fender liner (kind of below the headlight). try taking a video from the outside with it running and have someone do the same thing you did in the video where you move the wheel and then stop - should be a very distinct noise.

Iā€™m not mechanical in the slightest, but it really does seem to be associated with the steering wheel in some way, as if I donā€™t touch the wheel, it stops, and if I move the wheel while the car is at rest, it starts again.

I know another complaint I had when taking it in was that the car was out of alignment, and the steering wheel sat slightly tilted to the left. So Iā€™m curious if when I go see it tomorrow, after they messed with the steering wheel, that suddenly the noise actually isnā€™t there anymore somehow. I mean, Iā€™d be overjoyed for sure. Will keep you all updated tomorrow. If the noise is still there I will certainly mention these suggestions listed here to the tech. Thank you!

Sponsored

OP
OP
New2Jeep2022

New2Jeep2022

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Sport S
Next update:

Went to go discuss with the tech. Found that the dealership had put a nail in my tire lol so now they have to order a new tire. Goodness.

Anyway, I got a tech to listen and he heard it and said heā€™s never heard anything like that in his life, and commented on how itā€™s going to be tricky to find where itā€™s coming from. So I was like ā€œwell Good luck!ā€ Lol. Left it for more diagnostics (after they replace the tire, of course).

Will let you know once I hear more!

jlandry287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel
My rig doesn't make that noise, hopefully the dealership can find the issue and fix it!

on a side note, how on earth are you getting 27.7 mpg average? I'm at ~6k miles and my average is 22.7 mpg.

I was at ~25 mpg but after my recent oil change it went back down. I have a rubicon so maybe the lift and tires are having some effect, but that'd be drastic to assume its a 5 mpg effect.

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

My rig doesn't make that noise, hopefully the dealership can find the issue and fix it!

on a side note, how on earth are you getting 27.7 mpg average? I'm at ~6k miles and my average is 22.7 mpg.

I was at ~25 mpg but after my recent oil change it went back down. I have a rubicon so maybe the lift and tires are having some effect, but that'd be drastic to assume its a 5 mpg effect.
I average 25mpg over 20k miles on my rubicon both on/offroad

OP
OP
New2Jeep2022

New2Jeep2022

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Sport S

I do a lot highway driving to work. When Iā€™m driving the highway Iā€™m getting like 32, so itā€™s averaging out. Mine is also totally stock, little tires, not lifted. But itā€™s probably the highway

OP
OP
New2Jeep2022

New2Jeep2022

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Sport S
Still at the dealership. Three weeks now (ridiculous story that eventually had me getting management involved). They didn't even start looking at it until last week, but they are stumped so far.

Sponsored

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
Did they ever straighten out the steering wheel. I suspect itā€™s the power steering.

Jeepiner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

This seems like the most accurate possibility. I would tell them to look into that @New2Jeep2022

OP
OP
New2Jeep2022

New2Jeep2022

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Sport S
Did they ever straighten out the steering wheel. I suspect itā€™s the power steering.
They did supposedly straighten it out. And they did think it was the steering as well, but now they have some expert from Detroit coming to look at it or something lol they seem to just have zero clue. Iā€™m also just wondering their overall competency level since the entire experience has been quite the sh*t show. But the service manager is on it now and so Iā€™m hoping he gets it resolved. 3.5 weeks and counting in my rental that smells like sour milk in the Florida summer šŸ˜«

JuzaMe

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vmcrugbychairs.com
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ, 2005 Duramax, 2022 JLURD(ordered 1/17/22)
Occupation
Working on being a burden to my children.
Have you opened the hood and had someone turn the steering wheel to see if you can hear it better? I'm with morlan52 regarding the Electro-Hydraulic steering system being the culprit.

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
They did supposedly straighten it out. And they did think it was the steering as well, but now they have some expert from Detroit coming to look at it or something lol they seem to just have zero clue. Iā€™m also just wondering their overall competency level since the entire experience has been quite the sh*t show. But the service manager is on it now and so Iā€™m hoping he gets it resolved. 3.5 weeks and counting in my rental that smells like sour milk in the Florida summer šŸ˜«
Thatā€™s probably the old baby diaper somebody left under the back seatšŸ™„
Sponsored