Sponsored

Chirp/Squeak after lift installed - Narrowed down sound - Ideas?

EngenZerO

First Name
Ozzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
So, had a Dynatrac Endurosport Lift, Mopar LCA, Yeti Trackbar and Fox TS SS installed on our Jeep about a month ago. Also had some method 702s mounted.

We just took a road trip through Colorado and our Jeep started to develop a shimmy when I hit pot hole cover or expansion joint. Never had one before when stock.

Also I also have an occasion squeak when I hit a pot hole cover or an expansion joint at the correct speed or angle. The squeak also comes from the driver side. However if I am on rough road or anything else nothing silent.

Do I need to do an alignment for the shimmy? Maybe balance again?

Also any ideas what the squeak may be. I want to guess sway bar link.

We didn’t do any hardcore with the Jeep. Just light dirt/gravel trails and crossing one small stream to get to trailhead for hikes.

Figure I would ask here before asking @Northridge4x4 for assistance as they were the installers.

edit

Video added.

Uploaded a video of it. Happens around the 5-6sec mark.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So, had a Dynatrac Endurosport Lift, Mopar LCA, Yeti Trackbar and Fox TS SS installed on our Jeep about a month ago. Also had some method 702s mounted.

We just took a road trip through Colorado and our Jeep started to develop a shimmy when I hit pot hole cover or expansion joint. Never had one before when stock. Also I also have an occasion squeak when I hit a pot hole cover or an expansion joint at the correct speed or angle. The squeak also comes from the driver side. However if I am on rough road or anything else nothing silent.

Do I need to do an alignment for the shimmy? Maybe balance again? Also any ideas what the squeak may be. I want to guess sway bar link.

We didn’t do any hardcore with the Jeep. Just light dirt/gravel trails and crossing one small stream to get to trailhead for hikes.

Figure I would ask here before asking @Northridge4x4 for assistance as they were the installers.
With fixed lcas there’s only checking toe they can do with an alignment, and you can check that easily yourself. I wouldn’t spend the money for alignment imo. I would have tires balanced , it sounds like you might have thrown a weight.

OP
OP
EngenZerO

EngenZerO

First Name
Ozzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
Added video in OP

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
chances are you just need to retorque all of the bolts, things settle and back out after this time of work

OP
OP
EngenZerO

EngenZerO

First Name
Ozzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
chances are you just need to retorque all of the bolts, things settle and back out after this time of work
I spoke to @Northridge4x4 and they mentioned that as well. Taking it in on Wednesday for them to retorque and check out the squeak.

Sponsored

OP
OP
EngenZerO

EngenZerO

First Name
Ozzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
Well @Northridge4x4 retorqued my suspension components. Was told shimmy is normal with JLs, smh. Basically was told it’s a Jeep.

Came home. Did some more trouble shooting.

1) disconnected sway bar manually and drove around - still squeak

2) checked all the doors and hardtop (retightened) - still squeak

3) adjusted rear tailgate (fixed that rattle) - still a squeak

4) checked all lug nuts - still squeak

5) Power washed the crap under the Jeep again - still squeak.

I’m gonna make a tire balance appointment and get the toe checked. Hopefully that fixes the shimmy. Sucks cause I paid for balance with my install but whatevs.

Also this sound is only heard with the windows down. Windows up it’s quiet in the cabin. Can’t hear the squeak.

Anyone else got some suggestions to check or look for?

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well @Northridge4x4 retorqued my suspension components. Was told shimmy is normal with JLs, smh. Basically was told it’s a Jeep.

I’m gonna make a tire balance appointment and get the toe checked. Hopefully that fixes the shimmy. Sucks cause I paid for balance with my install but whatevs.

Also this sound is only heard with the windows down. Windows up it’s quiet in the cabin. Can’t hear the squeak.

I’ve listened to the video several times and can’t hear a squeak. Does it sound like metal to metal or rubber to metal. Try spraying wd40 on all your bushings, sway bar, lcas, ucas, shock mounts, etc...... have someone bounce up and down on bumper to see if you can replicate it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EngenZerO

EngenZerO

First Name
Ozzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
I’ve listened to the video several times and can’t hear a squeak. Does it sound like metal to metal or ribber to metal. Try spraying wd40 on all your bushings, sway bar, lcas, ucas, shock mounts, etc...... have someone bounce up and down on bumper to see if you can replicate it.

Will do. It’s more like a chirp at the 4-6 second mark. I don’t know the difference between metal on metal or metal on rubber, sounds :(

I sprayed silicone lube on the sway bar end links and bushings so far. I’ll hit the lower, upper control arms and shocks next.

Last edited:

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon

How did you adjust the tailgate to get rid of the rattle? Mine just started rattling excessively when off road. Thanks!

OP
OP
EngenZerO

EngenZerO

First Name
Ozzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
How did you adjust the tailgate to get rid of the rattle? Mine just started rattling excessively when off road. Thanks!
I adjusted the black striker that sits on the frame (towards the front of the car) a very small amount.

Jeep Wrangler JL Chirp/Squeak after lift installed - Narrowed down sound - Ideas? C4A54584-E995-4410-BC6E-0673ABB199DC

Sponsored

OP
OP
EngenZerO

EngenZerO

First Name
Ozzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
Still dealing with the chirp/squeak. I still need to retorque my LCA. I don’t have a wrench that strong so I have a local Jeep place down the road doing that for me Monday morning.

I’m hoping it’s the LCA. We will see though. When I rock the Jeep back and forth you hear a metal on metal sound briefly then it’s gone and not reproducible by rocking. Chirp is there when you drive. Feels like the car needs to settle back down for a few hours before getting that rocking sound to be reproduced.

Coincidentally there is a similar thread on the Gladiator forums. Someone had the Mopar Lift installed and a synergy trackbar and they have a similar chirp. They are thinking it’s trackbar related.

Anyone with a Steersmarts trackbar and if you have time does it rest like this.

Jeep Wrangler JL Chirp/Squeak after lift installed - Narrowed down sound - Ideas? FA65FF6B-F660-42DA-97C3-998E117876B7

Jeep Wrangler JL Chirp/Squeak after lift installed - Narrowed down sound - Ideas? 6D9B066A-8D0E-4B0A-A9CE-B2319B03EF33

Forgive if this sounds dumb but the upper bushing on the trackbar has these weird pins? Is that normal? Im assuming poor machining on the metal part of the bushing.

Jeep Wrangler JL Chirp/Squeak after lift installed - Narrowed down sound - Ideas? 06443747-5104-4DB0-93EF-FB4372CD2B92

Jeep Wrangler JL Chirp/Squeak after lift installed - Narrowed down sound - Ideas? 7D2B838B-03D3-4818-8823-2A33F6C0F44B

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Still dealing with the chirp/squeak. I still need to retorque my LCA. I don’t have a wrench that strong so I have a local Jeep place down the road doing that for me Monday morning.

I’m hoping it’s the LCA. We will see though. When I rock the Jeep back and forth you hear a metal on metal sound briefly then it’s gone and not reproducible by rocking. Chirp is there when you drive. Feels like the car needs to settle back down for a few hours before getting that rocking sound to be reproduced.

Coincidentally there is a similar thread on the Gladiator forums. Someone had the Mopar Lift installed and a synergy trackbar and they have a similar chirp. They are thinking it’s trackbar related.

Anyone with a Steersmarts trackbar and if you have time does it rest like this.

Forgive if this sounds dumb but the upper bushing on the trackbar has these weird pins? Is that normal? Im assuming poor machining on the metal part of the bushing.

Jeep Wrangler JL Chirp/Squeak after lift installed - Narrowed down sound - Ideas? 7D2B838B-03D3-4818-8823-2A33F6C0F44B
I have my new SteerSmarts Track bar sitting in front of me in the box. Mine also has those "pins". They appear normal, and seem to be rubber nubs from when the bushing was manufactured (like what you would see on a new tire).

OP
OP
EngenZerO

EngenZerO

First Name
Ozzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
Ok. So I think I got the sound narrowed down.

Any ideas? All this has been torque checked.

OP
OP
EngenZerO

EngenZerO

First Name
Ozzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
What is happening in this video? I’m confused.
So since being back from our roadtrip. The first thing you hear every morning is that chirp (metal on metal sound) when enter into the Jeep. Sometimes it’s louder and clanks which produces a sound like someone taps a wrench onto metal (I have a video of that but at a different angle when I was seeing if it was the trackbar hitting on the passenger side mount). After that initial sound you can rock the Jeep back in forth on the rock rails and it will not produce that sound again.

The only other time you hear that sound (metal on metal) is when that front driver area hits and expansion joint or manhole cover at the right angle and compresses and decompresses the shock and spring at normal drive speed.

That video above is me placing the phone at the spot where the metal on metal sound is the loudest, so far, based on hunting over the last few days. That sound seems to happen at that first compression of the shock and spring (e.g., every morning)

I’m most likely going to just remove the spring and shock and just check, reseat and reinstall the spring and shock see if that helps.
Sponsored

Last edited: