Sponsored

Chipped Paint on hood. Best fix? How often to wax/detail vehicle?

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
That black Sharpie is invaluable for touching up scratches to the hard top also. And to black rims.
thanks for bring that up. i have done that with the top.already.
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
OBVIOUSLY you and I are not working our Jeeps hard enough off-road yet ;)
i guess i'll jump in the boat with you folks, since i havent used mine yet.

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
4 weeks ago, I had mine ceramic coated. Expensive, but if you think about it, it's around the cost of 3 or 4 really good details . It's supposed to last 5 years+. No waxing anymore. It rained hard and when the water evaporated its like I had detailed it all over again. So far I'm pleased with the results. We will we see how it does long term. My neighbor ceramic coated a black car over a year ago. He parks outside. He pressure washes it and it looks brand new.
20191222_160621~01.jpg

I don't park in a garage so my main motivator was the extra uv protection.

Also, I haven't used dr chip repair , but have friends who swear by it.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have the mexicans at the car wash wipe off the interior after off road trips if that counts as a detail. Otherwise I've never detailed mine.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
4 weeks ago, I had mine ceramic coated. Expensive, but if you think about it, it's around the cost of 3 or 4 really good details . It's supposed to last 5 years+. No waxing anymore. It rained hard and when the water evaporated its like I had detailed it all over again. So far I'm pleased with the results. We will we see how it does long term. My neighbor ceramic coated a black car over a year ago. He parks outside. He pressure washes it and it looks brand new.
20191222_160621~01.jpg

I don't park in a garage so my main motivator was the extra uv protection.

Also, I haven't used dr chip repair , but have friends who swear by it.
Ceramic is really good compared to wax but there is usually annual upkeep for a couple of hundred bucks. I feel it's worth it. Unfortunately ceramic does not help prevent stone chips. The only thing that does is paint protection film. Great looking Rubicon!

Sponsored

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Ceramic is really good compared to wax but there is usually annual upkeep for a couple of hundred bucks. I feel it's worth it. Unfortunately ceramic does not help prevent stone chips. The only thing that does is paint protection film. Great looking Rubicon!
True, ppf is good for that, also pricey . As for upkeep, lots of diy ceramic "boosters" /sealants available for that. I use carpro reload for this- super easy.

Anyway, I just wanted to delay this from happening if only for a few extra years:
20191011_094413.jpg

But in the end, it's still a jeep, paint or no paint.

19BilletJLU

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Wrangler JLU
Hey all. Have what is probably a very novice/simple question, but relatively new to the Jeep family and wasn’t sure the best way to handle an area of chipped paint to my 2018 JL Wrangler. Not sure exactly what happened, but assume that a pebble or something chipped a small piece of paint off of my hood (~3mm) right above the front grill (see attached photos). I’ve had the car a bit over a year and the paint job is definitely showing a little wear in general (in CO and in the mountains a bunch, rock salt in Winter, etc...).

Was curious how you all would go about getting this fixed to avoid any rusting and just so it stops annoying me whenever I look at it... Assume that the Jeep dealership/body shop will charge a crazy amount. Any easy at home kits to fill in a defect like this, or should I be contacting car detailers in the area? Will i need to go to the dealership to get the color matched appropriately?

Also, how often do you all wax/detail your vehicle?

Thanks in advance!

CBD6D79D-A88A-4058-B479-61F83E39E29A.jpeg

4F99ED02-5862-4FED-8936-BAFD1CFCE2F1.jpeg
Touch up paint pen from the dealer an invest in some of this product called LANGKA blob eliminator. There’s a whole kit that cost about $40. Stuff is incredible and will help with small to medium rock chips. Give it a try on yours, it couldn’t hurt!

Gpdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 J L sport s punk n
Touch up paint pen from the dealer an invest in some of this product called LANGKA blob eliminator. There’s a whole kit that cost about $40. Stuff is incredible and will help with small to medium rock chips. Give it a try on yours, it couldn’t hurt!
Dr color chip. I have used it on three different vehicles works great