Sponsored

Chip Shortage Impacting Production Real or Hype?

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
Good points! Read today that last summer the car manufacturers reduced semiconductor orders. Now they are at the back of the line.
Auto manufacturers were said to try and get the semi conductor industry to react to their demand and now they are realizing they are small fish in the semi conductor pond. Hope this passes faster than 12 months.
I'm on week 8 of being off work because of the shortage
Sponsored

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Posted this on the general thread - but maybe more relevant over here:

Just to keep these salesman/auto companies honest - TSMC is saying they expect this will soon be in the rear view mirror ;) .....

"Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. , the world’s largest contract chip maker, said it expects the chip shortage that has hampered car makers to start easing in the next few months after it ramped up its production of auto chips.

The company is on track to increase output of microcontrollers used in cars by about 60% this year compared with last, Chief Executive C.C. Wei said in an earnings call on Thursday. However, he said, the broader semiconductor shortage could persist until 2022."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tsmc-e...ter-11626347114?mod=searchresults_pos8&page=1

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Hype. My JTR Diesel arrived in 4 weeks from ordering.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
It will still take a little while to catch up. Them producing them is just step one. But yeah, I've read similar articles that chip manufacturers will have auto industry caught up by end of summer. If that is true, dealer lots should start filling again in the fall.

Sponsored

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
100% real. Our inventory at my store is at a 5 day supply. We would normally have a couple hundred units on the lot right now.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
The supply chain issues are not just limited to the examples above. It is reverberating through, of all things, clothing as well.

My son works retail in a western wear store and their inventory of clothing is severely short. Same with boots, hats, belts.

I didn't consider the use of microchips and metal in clothing, but it permeates every aspect of our society.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Expect more electronic glitches as this spike in chip production will probably not get the same quality control as before.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Expect more electronic glitches as this spike in chip production will probably not get the same quality control as before.
Link to proof? Quality control is pretty much inherent in chip manufacturing, otherwise every hillbilly in Texas would be opening a plant to ease the burden.

Sponsored

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
We would have run out of nylon or aluminum if there were no chip shortages. I assume other suppliers were days from running out of multiple parts/materials more than once this year.

fuzzywuzzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 3500
we ordered our JLUR jan 02/2021....with so many back and forth excuses...we ordered it with a 6 spd...so that was one excuse for about 2 months...they're not building any manual right now...to the latest excuse being "your build has the cold weather group and LED lights and is on hold because of semiconductor shortages". Waiting over 6 months for a factory order hurts...but one day it will be home I guess. Just in time for the 2022's to start rolling off the line...

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
we ordered our JLUR jan 02/2021....with so many back and forth excuses...we ordered it with a 6 spd...so that was one excuse for about 2 months...they're not building any manual right now...to the latest excuse being "your build has the cold weather group and LED lights and is on hold because of semiconductor shortages". Waiting over 6 months for a factory order hurts...but one day it will be home I guess. Just in time for the 2022's to start rolling off the line...
Everyone who orders in Canada seems to have to wait 4-6 months. Is it possible for you to order and buy in the States and bring it over the border? What are the tax implications if you did that?

bilottag

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2021 Wrangler High Altitude
I've heard the same thing but I call BS on that excuse. Hundreds of US orders are being produced with Cold Weather and LED group....so those chips are available. It's just that @JeepCares , @JeepCanada and Stellant-ass don't give a f^&k about Canadian customers.

Last edited: