Sponsored

Chip Shortage Impacting Production Real or Hype?

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Buy it now. It will get worse by year end. Maybe will be back up to somewhat normal in 1 year.
I stocked up with 4 vehicles (between wife and myself) prior to Covid, might have to rent one out for high fee lol.

I wonder how long before tires become scares. Just pulled a trigger on a summer set for Explorer so not to wait for a fall (people always rush in to replace their worn out tires when first snow hits).
Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
we ordered our JLUR jan 02/2021....with so many back and forth excuses...we ordered it with a 6 spd...so that was one excuse for about 2 months...they're not building any manual right now...to the latest excuse being "your build has the cold weather group and LED lights and is on hold because of semiconductor shortages". Waiting over 6 months for a factory order hurts...but one day it will be home I guess. Just in time for the 2022's to start rolling off the line...
Wow, that sucks . I keep hearing about our Canadian brothers and sisters and how long they have to wait. Can't believe it takes that long given their close proximity to the plant.

fuzzywuzzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 3500
Everyone who orders in Canada seems to have to wait 4-6 months. Is it possible for you to order and buy in the States and bring it over the border? What are the tax implications if you did that?
Its tempting to try that route for sure!!

WRANBO

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Reviving this thread for anyone that is curious about what is currently impacted. I am in Ontario and my father in law and I went to our local dealer to source a Wrangler for him. In Canada the most requested option on the wrangler (if possible to install) is the cold weather group, remote start and LED headlights. These items are directly impacted by the chip shortage it seems as many of the Saharas and Rubi’s are not equipped with these items. Prior to the chip shortage almost every Sahara or Rubi I saw had the LED package and heated seats. Also, apparently the chip shortage also is impacting the Cherokee sunroof (he was curious about them too). The Cherokee limited, which is pretty much loaded from the factory are not allowed to be ordered with a sunroof at this point in time! Crazy world we live in right now. If you’re in desperate need of a vehicle (kind of like my FIL is right now) buy what you find because this is gonna go on for the remainder of the 2022 year from what I understand speaking to various dealers: Jeep, Audi, Acura, GM etc.

dahacker

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TSX, RDX, 97 Miata, 22 JLUS
Reviving this thread for anyone that is curious about what is currently impacted. I am in Ontario and my father in law and I went to our local dealer to source a Wrangler for him. In Canada the most requested option on the wrangler (if possible to install) is the cold weather group, remote start and LED headlights. These items are directly impacted by the chip shortage it seems as many of the Saharas and Rubi’s are not equipped with these items. Prior to the chip shortage almost every Sahara or Rubi I saw had the LED package and heated seats. Also, apparently the chip shortage also is impacting the Cherokee sunroof (he was curious about them too). The Cherokee limited, which is pretty much loaded from the factory are not allowed to be ordered with a sunroof at this point in time! Crazy world we live in right now. If you’re in desperate need of a vehicle (kind of like my FIL is right now) buy what you find because this is gonna go on for the remainder of the 2022 year from what I understand speaking to various dealers: Jeep, Audi, Acura, GM etc.
Thousands of these Wranglers are built with these options every month. The reason you can’t find them with those options on the lot is because they are popular and already sold. Just order and wait.

Sponsored

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
I ordered my JL last Sept with all 3 of those options and it was built in 6 weeks

WRANBO

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Thousands of these Wranglers are built with these options every month. The reason you can’t find them with those options on the lot is because they are popular and already sold. Just order and wait.
Maybe US dealers get first dibs. In Canada seems differently, at least in Ontario.

WRANBO

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I ordered my JL last Sept with all 3 of those options and it was built in 6 weeks
That makes sense becusse it was ordered last September. Currently, quick order packages don’t include the cold weather group (dealers aren’t allowed to order them as such). If you order as a customer different story. This is what I was told anyway. Congrats on your Jeep.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I've been dealing with this at work since October when the Holiday season orders hit peaks (we buy chips for 2 of our key product lines). Due to Covid, orders for consumer electronics and work related stuff (pc's, laptops, cell phones) are all through the roof. In addition, more and more items are using multiple chips. The auto industry messed up a year ago and is only now feeling the result. Sat in on a global analyst call last week and these guys are forecasting it gets worse over the next 2 quarters, starts improving in Q4, and gets back to normal 12 months from now.
lol. They were wrong

RandyMarion CDJR

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Randymarionjeepram.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Jeep Wrangler 4xe, Subaru Crosstrek
I wish it wasn't real, but it is. This is why we are offering all of our orders with locked in pricing and setting it as a sold order so it will take precedence over dealer orders (More likely to get your order this way). We are offering up to 7% below invoice ( With dealer financing and Tread Lightly, we do also have a combined fee amount of $948.50). If you need anything let us know at [email protected]. Thanks!
Sponsored