Sponsored

China virus crisis = possible parts shortage?

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The China shut down might eliminate the huge rebates on Wranglers. The over production of new Wranglers might work out to FCA's favor if parts supplies dry up from the China shut downs.
Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I'm ready

supplies.jpg

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Mopar 7” and 5” lights out of stock at both Quadratec and Extremeterrain — hmmmm.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This will put a crimp in Bestop products, their " premium " items are made in Mexico, but I believe the "sail cloth " non- twill items are made in China. .. Hope not..

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
well since Toledo is still running, guess there probably isnt a lot of ChiComm content in Wranglers, unlike Toyotas and Hyundia who have had to shut down factories due to parts shortages. Guess this in a way exposed the posers who go to the cheapest bidder for parts.

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
The China shut down might eliminate the huge rebates on Wranglers. The over production of new Wranglers might work out to FCA's favor if parts supplies dry up from the China shut downs.
I don't know. There are a lot of cars on lots. I think they have some time before the effect is felt. I think modern factories have the abiliy to ramp up production so if they miss a month they go twice as fast the next month.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
There is a TON of stuff made there and will put the hurt on tons of things. "Made in the USA" is not very regulated and has very loose requirements. Just because something says that changes are something of that was made in China and therefore will be in shortage. Already experiencing it in our business with a few factories shutting down.

True "Made in the USA" will be great and should really force the hand of folks buying Merican

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I was in a head on yesterday and my air bags deployed. I'm currently in quarantine with coronavirus.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I was in a head on yesterday and my air bags deployed. I'm currently in quarantine with coronavirus.
I’m told that the airbag contained the coronavirus. It’s a plot. Luckily the side curtain airbags didn’t deploy as they contain MERS or SARS. Much more deadly. Good luck in your Quarantine. Should give you plenty of time to shop Amazon for a bunch of made in China knockoffs.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Being from an Automotive town with several GM factories and many suppliers, I was talkiing with a fellow Jeeper that is in management for GM and he said they are already experiencing supply problems and they are trying to work around the China problem.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
This will put a crimp in Bestop products, their " premium " items are made in Mexico, but I believe the "sail cloth " non- twill items are made in China. .. Hope not..
All Bestop branded soft-tops are made in Toluca, MX - this includes twill, black diamond, and sailcloth versions so, as of right now, there isn't any impact on production/supply.

- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
All Bestop branded soft-tops are made in Toluca, MX - this includes twill, black diamond, and sailcloth versions so, as of right now, there isn't any impact on production/supply.

- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Any thought being given to making these in the USA ? I appreciate Bestop supporting the Mexican economy, but would prefer that my money supports USA economy.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Any thought being given to making these in the USA ? I appreciate Bestop supporting the Mexican economy, but would prefer that my money supports USA economy.
You'd need to take that up with the CEO and board of Bestop. Way above my pay grade :CWL:

- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Sponsored