Sponsored

China virus crisis = possible parts shortage?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I work in NJ/NY ports and this year and last year was a big hit on our ports very low imports I don't see any changes since the virus happen but time will tell so far it's steady.
How long does it take a cargo ship to get to those ports from China? Would be interesting as if over 14 days in theory the incubation period would pass while at sea.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
70 people have died from this new corona virus? 8500+ people have died from the flu just this season. Even SARS was less deadly than the flu, overcrowded places like China just have a lot of contact and spread of infection, that combined with high cause what seems like a high mortality because of the number of deaths but when you look and percent it’s nothing.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The stock market took a dump on Friday with fears of greater impacts.
The Chinese markets will probably drop into free fall tomorrow when the markets open. I just read China's Central Bank is injecting $173 Billion US dollars into their economy to soften the blow.

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How long does it take a cargo ship to get to those ports from China? Would be interesting as if over 14 days in theory the incubation period would pass while at sea.
Usually takes 3-4 weeks according to a friend who ships a lot.

Sponsored

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70 people have died from this new corona virus? 8500+ people have died from the flu just this season. Even SARS was less deadly than the flu, overcrowded places like China just have a lot of contact and spread of infection, that combined with high cause what seems like a high mortality because of the number of deaths but when you look and percent it’s nothing.
About 17,300 infected. 362 deaths from coronavirus so far. The number is believed to be higher because of slow reporting. I thought I read the number infected is growing at 26% per day?

Last edited:

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The Chinese markets will probably drop into free fall tomorrow when the markets open. I just read China's Central Bank is injecting $173 Billion US dollars into their economy to soften the blow.
It's already open. Shanghai Composite Index is down just over 8% right now.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Depends most make different stops before they reach the USA. What I am seeing now is that it's taking longer because the shipping lines are using these new super container ships that are bigger which take extra days to load so about 15-30 days.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered two items from China recently. From China customs to US customs was 25 and 28 days for those items.

Sponsored

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some automotive suppliers are concerned about being able to supply parts out of China. Ftech a major supplier for Honda has started moving factories out of China to Thailand.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Did someone say, bat soup?

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi0.kym-cdn.com%2Fphotos%2Fimages%2Ffacebook%2F000%2F432%2F930%2F5c0.png

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Depends most make different stops before they reach the USA. What I am seeing now is that it's taking longer because the shipping lines are using these new super container ships that are bigger which take extra days to load so about 15-30 days.
It's already open. Shanghai Composite Index is down just over 8% right now.
As someone almost to retire with a lot of international holdings I prefer not to look :puke:

.....at least Amazon and Tesla are flying high to offset.....