Chief Blue for Sale?

OP
OP

barometer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge
Ruling out repainting for sure. I'm not able to find a Chief Blue anywhere which is strange - cars.com, carguru or autotrader.
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
A good full professional respray runs well north of $10k I believe right?
For a color change, yeah. Even then you can bet that under the carpets and up under the dash wouldn't be done unless you paid another few grand to have the interior completely removed. Then you would have to deal with all of the issues that would cause. Prob $6-8k for a good exterior job where the doors, hinges, trim are are all removed, then the paint is color sanded and polished before reassembly.

A quality wrap will be between $3-5k depending on your area. The plus is that after 5 years or so, when you peel the wrap off, all the paint underneath needs is some cleaning and polishing to look new.

Last edited:

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Ruling out repainting for sure. I'm not able to find a Chief Blue anywhere which is strange - cars.com, carguru or autotrader.
Not strange. These things are super super rare.

Speaking of — how do we find the number of chief blue two door rubicon’s from the VIN db?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For a color change, yeah. Even then you can bet that under the carpets and up under the dash wouldn't be done unless you paid another few grand to have the interior completely removed. Then you would have to deal with all of the issues that would cause. Prob $6-8k for a good exterior job where the doors, hinges, trim are are all removed, then the paint is color sanded and polished before reassembly.

A quality wrap will be between $3-5l depending on your area. The plus is that after 5 years or so, when you peel the wrap off, all the paint underneath needs is some cleaning and polishing to look new.
I can’t even imagine the amount of work to do a perfect repaint color change. I think it’s $15k here though to do one right.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I can’t even imagine the amount of work to do a perfect repaint color change. I think it’s $15k here though to do one right.
Absolutely not worth it. Always find a color you like or one you can live with. I hate the way Jeep does short runs of special colors.

Back in 2012/2013 we had the luck of getting 3, all in the colors we wanted. I got Commando Green (which I would get again if I could), my daughter got Cosmo Blue and my niece got Rock Lobster.

Nowadays I have white, which I must admit I have always liked on a Jeep. Boring to some degree, but a solid color that is still bright and will never age it. Every Commando Green I see, I instantly know is an early 2013.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely not worth it. Always find a color you like or one you can live with. I hate the way Jeep does short runs of special colors.

Back in 2012/2013 we had the luck of getting 3, all in the colors we wanted. I got Commando Green (which I would get again if I could), my daughter got Cosmo Blue and my niece got Rock Lobster.

Nowadays I have white, which I must admit I have always liked on a Jeep. Boring to some degree, but a solid color that is still bright and will never age it. Every Commando Green I see, I instantly know is an early 2013.
Agreed. I actually think the PTS and individual options from Porsche / BMW are not terrible considering it’s factory paint. $7k and $12k respectively.

but man it feels like I got a PTS Jeep without paying for it considering how few exist.

OP
OP

barometer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge
Not strange. These things are super super rare.

Speaking of — how do we find the number of chief blue two door rubicon’s from the VIN db?

Did not know you can search for color from a VIN db. Keen to know as well.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did not know you can search for color from a VIN db. Keen to know as well.
You must be able to -- or decipher somehow, as recently they've been posting 392 order VIN %'s for each color. Just got my VIN this morning. Order placed on 7/5, VIN received 7/9.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
lol.
TBH, you're better off picking another color. If you try to buy a Rubicon off the lot today, you're going to have a hard time even paying sticker, much less below sticker. Especially if the dealer knows that you want that specific Jeep.

If you custom order, you could get it in ~4-6 weeks and easily pay ~10-12% BELOW sticker, which is $5-8K on a Rubicon, depending on your options. Hell, for that kind of savings, you could custom order, then get it painted fresh off the truck and still be saving $$.

There's likely to be new colors in 2022, but order banks aren't expected to open till ~Oct, and builds start in early Dec. Not sure you want to wait that long.
loI had this same issue looking for Pumkin, then they released nacho for about a week and I snapped it up. Now I'm really wanting a 4xe, but the colors are holding me back. Guess I'll be waiting until October at least...

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

@Spearmin I very nearly jumped on a *beautiful* '17 Rubicon in Rhino that was down in Austin for ~$45K. But it was pretty bare-bones (for a Rubicon), already 5 years old, and had ~40K miles on it. And I'd have had to factor in the cost of upgrading the head unit to something with AA.

Ordering from Gupton, I'm paying $47K for a fully loaded Sahara Altitude that's brand new with 0 miles and a full warranty. Only thing I skipped is the LED package and Smoker's package.

For me, as a 1st time Jeep owner that's never been offroading, the Sahara was obviously a better choice.

Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
@Spearmin I very nearly jumped on a *beautiful* '17 Rubicon in Rhino that was down in Austin for ~$45K. But it was pretty bare-bones (for a Rubicon), already 5 years old, and had ~40K miles on it. And I'd have had to factor in the cost of upgrading the head unit to something with AA.

Ordering from Gupton, I'm paying $47K for a fully loaded Sahara Altitude that's brand new with 0 miles and a full warranty. Only thing I skipped is the LED package and Smoker's package.

For me, as a 1st time Jeep owner that's never been offroading, the Sahara was obviously a better choice.
Well that blue is Fn awesome...

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero