Vehicle(s)
2023 2 dr Sarge Green Willys, Soft Top 3.6L MT

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Corvette plant’s been offering it for years. I “can” build an engine, though for a new vehicle I’d rather have the Factory put it together😏

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
"Hey Billy, toss me the spanner so I can tighten down this canooter valve! Wait, how much extra is this costing me again?"

Garry in AZ

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2 Door Rubicon, 3 pedal club.
Occupation
Engineering
Okay, I'll be the odd man out on this one. I've owned a handful of Corvettes over the years, and when I ordered my 2011 Grand Sport, I also paid for the privilege of watching it go down the assembly line and prior to that, participating in the building of the engine at the GM plant in Wixom MI.
The car I ordered had a manual transmission, and dry sump oiling. This set of options meant the engine was hand built in the Wixom plant (where all the dry sump ZR1 and Z06 engines come from) by one technician who would put his nameplate on the motor when it was done.
You don't really actually build the engine yourself, you "help" the technician in operating a few tools along the way, and you get a detailed idea of how the engine is constructed, how the mains and rods are torqued, how timing is set, etc. You get to see all the internal parts, and how they go together, how everything is checked during and after assembly, and you sort of form a more personal connection with the motor. You also get to start the engine for the first time on the break-in stand.
The program is fun and interesting for gearheads who want to know more about what they got, see how it's made, and be more involved in the process.
When I took delivery of the car at the Corvette museum, there was a personalized plaque on the console. I think I paid about 3500 bucks for these privileges at the time, plus my travel expenses. And I'd probably do it again if I was going to order a new Z06.

Sponsored

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
Okay, I'll be the odd man out on this one. I've owned a handful of Corvettes over the years, and when I ordered my 2011 Grand Sport, I also paid for the privilege of watching it go down the assembly line and prior to that, participating in the building of the engine at the GM plant in Wixom MI.
The car I ordered had a manual transmission, and dry sump oiling. This set of options meant the engine was hand built in the Wixom plant (where all the dry sump ZR1 and Z06 engines come from) by one technician who would put his nameplate on the motor when it was done.
You don't really actually build the engine yourself, you "help" the technician in operating a few tools along the way, and you get a detailed idea of how the engine is constructed, how the mains and rods are torqued, how timing is set, etc. You get to see all the internal parts, and how they go together, how everything is checked during and after assembly, and you sort of form a more personal connection with the motor. You also get to start the engine for the first time on the break-in stand.
The program is fun and interesting for gearheads who want to know more about what they got, see how it's made, and be more involved in the process.
When I took delivery of the car at the Corvette museum, there was a personalized plaque on the console. I think I paid about 3500 bucks for these privileges at the time, plus my travel expenses. And I'd probably do it again if I was going to order a new Z06.
Thats a sweet option if you can. I took delivery of a Blackwing last December and would have loved to have the option to see it being built.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
OP
OP

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Not pissed, just don't get it. But ... you do you. Or, is that t-shirt depicting you pissing your money away?
We're on a Jeep forum... I think we all have questionable spending habits.

OP
OP

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
I honestly don't understand all this self-service stuff being passed off as good for consumers. I don't even like self checkout. But paying at least $5k for the privilege on top of it? Oh, man, PT Barnum was right, there must be a sucker born every minute.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...A11NlHb?cvid=279b5e8d6c634b6ea33870e4c5965554
This is akin to paying for a Meet n Greet at a concert. Has nothing to do with being "good for the consumer". It's there if you want to do it.
Sponsored