Sponsored

Chevy’s Answer to the Ford Bronco and Jeep Wrangler

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
Welp, if it’s all-electric then it’s not the answer unless it has a legit 500-mile range. This sounds like a toy.
Yep... Like a cheap toy from a gas station.. Except this one will cost thousands.. 😆
Sponsored

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
This is GM we're talking here, they'll never follow through with something like this.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

It's obnoxious how badly they're blowing this. It's so damn easy.

Step 1: Stop calling that shitty soccer mom SUV a Blazer. Reclaim that name.
Step 2: Take the current Tahoe body design, shrink it down to fit on the new Colorado base
Step 3: Apply the ZR2 trim package
Step 4: Profit.

They'd sell the shit out of them.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
I bought a new K5 Blazer back in 84. Yes, it was a bit crude but it really did the job, solid axles, limited slip, decent air conditioning. The new Blazer just isn’t worth it. An EV Blazer, that depends, will it be a true off road tool? Who knows, that day will come at some point.
My 2018 ZR2 Colorado is a great truck, the 2023 will be spectacular. GM can do it If anyone can.

Sponsored

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Too many bubble station wagons being called "suv's" nowadays
Not "sporty", not "utility" but just plain bubble wagons every one, I suppose they are still vehicles though so how about calling them BWV's instead ?
Just a stray thought 🤪
besides, I heard Chevy is planning on bringing back the Caprice Classic wagon but with a 1" lift and 27" tires to compete with Jeep and Bronco.... sounds about their speed of late

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
It's GM, they'll find a way to underwhelm nicely. They're too busy throwing the SS badge on everything like what FCA was doing with SRT for awhile

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
That rendering doesn't show the diesel generator on a trailer that will need to be hooked to the back of that new "Blazer".

I carry extra cans of gas when I'm on an extended outback trip. How would I carry extra electricity?

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

That rendering doesn't show the diesel generator on a trailer that will need to be hooked to the back of that new "Blazer".

I carry extra cans of gas when I'm on an extended outback trip. How would I carry extra electricity?
This has been covered exhaustively on a million other threads since the 4xe came out, but...

- Portable power banks like Jackery already exist. Granted, they're not [currently] equivalent to the amount of energy stored in a gas can, but that's not a permanent limitation - the market simply hasn't been there. As more EV vehicles become commonplace (Rivian, 4xe, F150 Lightning, etc), there will be more demand for this, and thus more research/innovation to fill that market.

- Solar panels exist. Similar caveat to the above, but solar power is much further along in the innovation cycle. The theoretical limits to solar panel efficiency are being tested and broken as new methods, materials, etc come about.

- Wind power, IMO, is something that hasn't really been exploited for overlanding, but should, given how much of it happens in the wide open deserts. Not as reliable, obviously, but why couldn't you have a mounted wind turbine extending your battery pack as you drive around?

TODAY, none of these replace a can of gas. That's a fact we both agree on. TOMORROW* is an entirely different story, just like YESTERDAY* having a mass-produced vehicle that could run 400+ miles on a charge for <$100K was thought to be outrageous.

*Times are approximate. I don't *actually* mean tomorrow, February 1st, 2023. I mean tomorrow as in the near future. I would guess within the next ~5-7 years, personally.

Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I would love for GM to produce a real competitor to Jeep. So far all they have is the Colorado ZR2 And it doesn’t wheel the same.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Well FLAT OUT there is no answer for a Jeep 1. 2 Ford still can figure it out and I highly doubt chevy will either. Those broncos suck and so did every blazer after 1975. Toyota tried.
Respectfully disagree—2’nd gen (also suck) 73 Blazer was ~7”longer, full time 4WD with auto, and most importantly 155HP top, down from 255HP in 70. Bronco suffered similarly from smog engines. ☹ And everything else— 165HP Corvettes was pitiful! My 6 cyl 54 had 155HP.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59498

Funny I seen one of those "Blazers" when I was out earlier. The Blazer looks like a Subaru which looks like a Mazda which looks like a Toyota which looks like a BMW which looks like a Hyundai crossover, ad nauseam.
Sponsored