Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Another, real option, would be great if they were to do it. The more choices we have the better they will all get
Sponsored

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
There appears to be a big-ass spare taking up room in the back. That right there is a non-starter.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

258_T18A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon 392, 1979 CJ7
Too many bubble station wagons being called "suv's" nowadays
Not "sporty", not "utility" but just plain bubble wagons every one
Yeah, my starting point is simply - "Is the base model FWD (with maybe an AWD option)? If yes, then hard pass." FWD apart from sucking on its own implies the whole thing is built on a car chassis.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
The body lines tell me all I need to know about this "revival" and "rival". It'll be good for all the insta/youtube bros who need the latest and greatest for clicks. They'll trade it in once the newness wears off and they come to terms that it is nowhere near a rugged contender.

I do hope someone takes it and creates a Warthog from Halo, I could get behind that.

Sponsored

258_T18A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon 392, 1979 CJ7
This has been covered exhaustively on a million other threads since the 4xe came out, but...

- Portable power banks like Jackery already exist. Granted, they're not [currently] equivalent to the amount of energy stored in a gas can, but that's not a permanent limitation - the market simply hasn't been there. As more EV vehicles become commonplace (Rivian, 4xe, F150 Lightning, etc), there will be more demand for this, and thus more research/innovation to fill that market.

- Solar panels exist. Similar caveat to the above, but solar power is much further along in the innovation cycle. The theoretical limits to solar panel efficiency are being tested and broken as new methods, materials, etc come about.

- Wind power, IMO, is something that hasn't really been exploited for overlanding, but should, given how much of it happens in the wide open deserts. Not as reliable, obviously, but why couldn't you have a mounted wind turbine extending your battery pack as you drive around?

TODAY, none of these replace a can of gas. That's a fact we both agree on. TOMORROW* is an entirely different story, just like YESTERDAY* having a mass-produced vehicle that could run 400+ miles on a charge for <$100K was thought to be outrageous.

*Times are approximate. I don't *actually* mean tomorrow, February 1st, 2023. I mean tomorrow as in the near future. I would guess within the next ~5-7 years, personally.
So I actually have a Jackery "generator" and solar panel. It's great for powering my laptop, router, phone, emergency radios, desklight, and other small electronics. For everything else, I have a gas generator. Look up the energy density of gasoline vs lithium batteries (and there is no battery chemistry on the horizon that offers anything but a small incremental improvement over Li-ion). Tesla has better range than other EVs only because they use much larger batteries than almost everyone else (except Lucid, Rivian, and some of the new ultra high end Mercedes). There's no secret special technology, if you want more range you need bigger batteries, and batteries are the heaviest component in an EV. This won't change substantially over the next 5-7 years. Likewise, photovoltaics aren't going to offer a practical charging solution, even ordinary 120 VAC 20A is slow as shit, which is why Tesla superchargers are 480 VDC at 200-300A and still slower than pumping gas.

JMGT25

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Chevy’s Answer to the Ford Bronco and Jeep Wrangler

uh...

No!

Like many others, I'd like to see GM begin to produce a real off road SUV again, as they've been out of the market now for many years.

But that ain't it.

Back to the drawing board, GM. 🙄

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
It looks like it was designed by the Disney imagineers for use in Toontown.

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
OK, you just bought it and headed to Moab for a week of wheeling. First few days everyone oooo'd and awww'd about how quiet it was and how it climbed that slick-rock as good as any jeep.

Then on the last day you decided enough of the small stuff, time to go big or go home and you drove to the trailhead of Pritchett Canyon. There you met up with the Hard-Core Jeeps and Jeepers. Jeeps with Dynatrac axle sets and D 70s in the rear and D 60s up front, these guys are pros and Moab is not their first rodeo.

You join and the first few obstacles are easy and stay fender to fender with them. Suddenly one of the Jeeps snaps a u joint, but he fixes it trail-side in about 10 min.

Then it gets tough and when it gets tough, the tough get going and you are starting to find yourself at the back of the pack and grinding hard. Then midway your Cheby stops and rolls backward silently

Someone asks did you run out of gas or diesel? No I am all electric.

Everyone stops to help and some of the guys are Pros, Bob took the King of the Hammers last year, he built his rig and most of the guy at this level built their own rigs. They ask you lift the hood and what do they see? Batteries and what look like electric motors.

Bob says well that lets me out in helping to get it fixed and electricians here. Larry speaks up and then looks down the motors and batteries and says out of my pasture, I wire houses and offices.

Everyone looks at each other as the sun is going down and no one wants to tackle this trail at night. Its Sunday and the dealer is not open and the Cheby help can't help and wanna know what a Moab is. But the nearest dealer for this is the Cheby house in Las Vegas or the one in Denver. Everyone has go they are heading home in the am and sun is going down and blood red.

Helpline gave you a number to call to get you out but that guy when he found out where you were he said no can do.

You woke in you EV Monday morning and called a wrecker service in Moab, he could not help you where you were but he gave you a number. Matts's Helicopter wrecker. Matt comes but says he cannot help its too tight to come low enough to pick you up, but he will go back and get his other chopper that can lift more weight higher in the sky.

You arrive back in Moab, he sets in the parking lot of the Empty Arms In and you busted the limit on your Mastercard and had to put the rest of your Visa. You are no $7839 light. You call back to the wrecker guy and he has flatbed and its a $1.50 a mile, Denver or Las Vegas.

You get to Vegas Cheby EV center and start a chat with the Service guy about how good it spanks the tails in Moab and you show him your pics. He gets a kick out of it as he is a Jeep guy.

Vegas has the bigger dealer and they cannot get you in for 2 weeks when the Tech comes off vaca. You fly home to Orlando FL and work a deal with the Uber guy to pick you up every morning and after work

Vegas calls and they waiting on parts should be in about a month or 2.

Parts come and Vegas calls and say you can come to get it. You fly to Vegas and go to the Dealer and Ooops warranty denied, all 4 motors burnt up and batteries shorted out. due to abus and i if you wanted to fix its $38,999.99 to fix it.

You fly back to Vegas and buy a Jeep!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
If it’s EV, that’ll be the last vehicle I’d consider for an offroad rig out here.

Jeep Wrangler JL Chevy’s Answer to the Ford Bronco and Jeep Wrangler E22D8D6F-3CBE-44AC-9224-79AE80C458E9
Well if you are out in the desert, you could carry some portable solar panels and wait two weeks to get a charge back in it and wheel. Just carry food and water and maybe a sleeping pad.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

jarvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Manual, 12 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior
This made me laugh: " Even though there is no brand logo visible at first glance, the tail lights of the off-roader in a horizontal V-shape speak very clearly for a Chevrolet. "

What the hell is this?
Jeep Wrangler JL Chevy’s Answer to the Ford Bronco and Jeep Wrangler Capture.JPG

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Too many bubble station wagons being called "suv's" nowadays
Not "sporty", not "utility" but just plain bubble wagons every one, I suppose they are still vehicles though so how about calling them BWV's instead ?
Just a stray thought 🤪
besides, I heard Chevy is planning on bringing back the Caprice Classic wagon but with a 1" lift and 27" tires to compete with Jeep and Bronco.... sounds about their speed of late
Your prayers have been answered.
Jeep Wrangler JL Chevy’s Answer to the Ford Bronco and Jeep Wrangler Ed9zVxdXoAMN4i1
Sponsored