First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I’m currently waiting for data to come out regarding any changes to the 2022 model wranglers. I would say that I’m definitely gonna go with the wrangler, but I’ve been looking through jeeps website and the Cherokee L overland addition with the trail rated badge caught my attention.

if you already had a wrangler would you consider this as a city driver with off-road capability or would you just get two wranglers?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

the Cherokee L overland addition with the trail rated badge caught my attention.

if you already had a wrangler would you consider this as a city driver with off-road capability or would you just get two wranglers?
I assume you mean Grand Cherokee L?

We are a 2 SUV family. I have a '20 JLU and my wife has a '17 Grand Cherokee Limited. I view her vehicle as the luxury family cruiser, with the ability to off-road as needed. That being said, would I ever take the GC off road? Definitely not.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I assume you mean Grand Cherokee L?

We are a 2 SUV family. I have a '20 JLU and my wife has a '17 Grand Cherokee Limited. I view her vehicle as the luxury family cruiser, with the ability to off-road as needed. That being said, would I ever take the GC off road? Definitely not.
Thanks for the reply. Yes the Grand Cherokee L, which was fully redesigned for 2021. Right now, I have a 21 JLU Sahara Altitude. The wife’s car. I’m coming from a Benz so it’s the only reason there’s a small consideration.

May I ask why you wouldn’t take it off road? The new Overland trim has the 4x4 trail rated badge, air suspension to increase the ground clearance and you can move down to 18” wheels form the standard 20” to get larger AT tires.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

May I ask why you wouldn’t take it off road?
First, it's my wife's daily driver and kid mobile. She would not be too happy if I decided to wheel it.

Second, as capable as my wife's GC may be, I don't view it as a true off-road vehicle the way I do my Wrangler. Also, the new GC L in Overland trim carries a pretty heft price tag. It's definitely not a vehicle I'd off-road either.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
First, it's my wife's daily driver and kid mobile. She would not be too happy if I decided to wheel it.

Second, as capable as my wife's GC may be, I don't view it as a true off-road vehicle the way I do my Wrangler. Also, the new GC L in Overland trim carries a pretty heft price tag. It's definitely not a vehicle I'd off-road either.
Fair enough. Do you feel the off road capabilities is part of the marketing that helps drive sales for a soccer mom purpose driven SUV.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Do you feel the off road capabilities is part of the marketing that helps drive sales for a soccer mom purpose driven SUV.
Honestly, I don't. I think with vehicles like the current GC and the new GC L that it has more to do with looks and comfort features. The off-road capabilities are a bonus that the majority of soccer moms don't need. For example, my wife simply wanted a safe, good looking mid-sized SUV that can haul the kids and her work stuff, and would also drive well in inclement weather.

AMC_CJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Curious
Our family is considering a pretty similar combo. I'm going with a wrangler (4xe or 392), and the wife is going with either the Grand Cherokee L or the (Grand?) Wagoneer. She wants something with a 3rd row + creature comforts, and I need our other vehicle to have a higher towing capacity than the Wrangler, so these are both good options for us.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Our family is considering a pretty similar combo. I'm going with a wrangler (4xe or 392), and the wife is going with either the Grand Cherokee L or the (Grand?) Wagoneer. She wants something with a 3rd row + creature comforts, and I need our other vehicle to have a higher towing capacity than the Wrangler, so these are both good options for us.
Yeah we have a wrangler now and I love it. Would be completely happy with two. But it would be nice to have some of the luxury features found in the new Cherokee L. Definitely pricey but outperforms an BMW or Mercedes any day off road.
Sponsored

Last edited: