Sponsored

CHECK YOUR OIL LEVEL AFTER DEALER OIL CHANGE!

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I was coerced into getting a oil change package from my dealer when I purchased my JLUR. I have had the first change done recently. After seeing a few other people with 6 quarts added from the dealer (JK's use 6 quarts, JL use five) I checked mine and noticed the oil was overfull.

While this isn't the end of the world for your engine, it isnt ideal. Overfilling can cause the oil to froth from the crankshaft, oil seals to fail, etc.

Rather than take it in to the dealer I drained it out myself by purchasing some 1/4 inch OD tubing from the home improvement store and siphoning it out the dip stick tube. It takes a while, over 35 minutes with warm oil, but less time than taking it to the dealer and waiting around for a few hours for them to get to it.

Just be sure to check it when picking it up for those free oil changes.

oil2.jpg
oil3.jpg
IMG_0877.jpg
Sponsored

DWheelerR

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
I just had my first oil change today . I was scared after reading all the stories of over fills.
I'm happy to say my paperwork said 5qts and I checked the oil right in the service Bay before I left.
They got it correct .

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
What do you mean by "coerced into getting an oil change package"? You have the Jeep Wave and that gets you 4 free oil changes.
Edit: and 4 free tire rotations

Last edited:

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I also wanted to throw the dog a bone so to say. You know, the finance guy with his puppy dog eyes and slight smile that hid his long pointed fangs that can easily slice right through your wallet without you even seeing it.

I wasn't aware of the Jeep Wave oil changes but guaranteed they were fully aware of them. There's no need to tell me though. You see, it's the small touches that make my dealer special :puke:

Finance dude wants to sell me everything under the sun but after saying no to everything he says how about some oil changes. My response is that they should be throwing them in for free but 3 for 80 plus tire rotation sounded pretty good so I went for it.

I was not coerced per se but I did make the wrong choice in lowering my guard at that moment :turkey:

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Free or not, as long as I'm physically able to get under my vehicle and twist a wrench no one else will ever change my oil.

biggprikk

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Yeah, I also wanted to throw the dog a bone so to say. You know, the finance guy with his puppy dog eyes and slight smile that hid his long pointed fangs that can easily slice right through your wallet without you even seeing it.

I wasn't aware of the Jeep Wave oil changes but guaranteed they were fully aware of them. There's no need to tell me though. You see, it's the small touches that make my dealer special :puke:

Finance dude wants to sell me everything under the sun but after saying no to everything he says how about some oil changes. My response is that they should be throwing them in for free but 3 for 80 plus tire rotation sounded pretty good so I went for it.

I was not coerced per se but I did make the wrong choice in lowering my guard at that moment :turkey:

hotttdogggg

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I was coerced into getting a oil change package from my dealer when I purchased my JLUR. I have had the first change done recently. After seeing a few other people with 6 quarts added from the dealer (JK's use 6 quarts, JL use five) I checked mine and noticed the oil was overfull.

While this isn't the end of the world for your engine, it isnt ideal. Overfilling can cause the oil to froth from the crankshaft, oil seals to fail, etc.

Rather than take it in to the dealer I drained it out myself by purchasing some 1/4 inch OD tubing from the home improvement store and siphoning it out the dip stick tube. It takes a while, over 35 minutes with warm oil, but less time than taking it to the dealer and waiting around for a few hours for them to get to it.

Just be sure to check it when picking it up for those free oil changes.

oil2.jpg
oil3.jpg
IMG_0877.jpg
Free bonus oil

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Why does everyone wait to see if the service department screwed up instead of telling them before they work on your Jeep. Personally I am going to use my free oil changes and it’s a lot easier to make sure they know up front especially when they service both models.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Why does everyone wait to see if the service department screwed up instead of telling them before they work on your Jeep. Personally I am going to use my free oil changes and it’s a lot easier to make sure they know up front especially when they service both models.
A lot of us here have told them BEFORE and they have still screwed it up.

Hopefully it’s getting better now, but you still should check it yourself.

Sponsored

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Is this bad? How much damage is done if 3900 miles were put on like this?

Asking for a friend.

D8D68270-A5B3-447A-A5F6-CA85CB9E6A98.jpeg

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
We DO tell them ahead of time, then they act insulted and they STILL screw up - Advisor and tech aren't in sync. Here is a video that someone posted where they also told them ahead of time and they screwed up their's too. @JeepCares you might want to send a communication to the dealers about this and tell them that amount of oil is different than a JK and to read their documentation.

Last edited:

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
We DO tell them ahead of time, then they act insulted and they STILL screw up - Advisor and tech aren't in sync. Here is a video that someone posted where they also told them ahead of time and they screwed up their's too. @JeepCares you might want to send a communication to the dealers about this and tell them that amount of oil is different than a JK and to read their documentation.

I’ve called out JeepCares several times on this issue with no response.
Sponsored