My JL Steering is

• Total voters

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Just brought our ordered JL home from Las Vegas a few days ago, have 1300 miles on it, steering is tight, predictable and on center, no complaints! Put new 33" M/Ts on it and no change in the steering performance.
Sponsored

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Just brought our ordered JL home from Las Vegas a few days ago, have 1300 miles on it, steering is tight, predictable and on center, no complaints! Put new 33" M/Ts on it and no change in the steering performance.
Congrats!!Did you buy it from Marsh? As soon as I can order a diesel, I am doing it. Planning on getting it from Marsh based on the deals I keep hearing.

notsure

First Name
notsure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
looks like a little over 40% of people have initial steering problems.

can you order one, drive it, and if the steering is not awesome, not accept it ?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara

can you order one, drive it, and if the steering is not awesome, not accept it ?
make sure you have your dealer put it in writing on the purchase agreement you sign when you place your order. also, do not provide a deposit using cash or check, use a credit card so you have additional options.

Sponsored

TrillestSon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Just about to hit 15000 miles on my 6Spd JLU Rubicon. No issues at all and have been taking it on long road trips with a lot of off roading in the desert and Sierras and in snow mud rain heat you name it. I live in a city and have no garage. Its a beast I love it.

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
Seems like all we see are all the bad eggs when it comes to steering issues on the other threads. It would seem that they are all bad. I think it could be useful to get a glance at how many jeeps out there are working good without complaints.

Maybe check in with an all clear and the mileage??

Added poll to click.. you can select multiple you have multiple issues
for those that say awesome, would they actually know if they have an issue is the question.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
I notice a lot of wandering and find it both annoying and a bit unsafe. Going to dealer tomorrow to have all possibilities checked out.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic

Yes, you can. I ordered a 19. Took about 6 weeks. They fully expected me to drive it and check it out before I did any paperwork. They even laughed when I asked the same question and told me, of course I don't have to take it if it isn't %100 to my satisfaction. A good dealer will do that. Steering is perfect, accurate, no wonder. Just about 1500 miles. I love this thing.

Last edited:

rizzkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
2018 JL Sport S 2 door. June 2018 build date. Jeep has play in steering wheel at most speeds. My 2011 JK had perfect steering. FCA really screwed up with this new steering design.

Sponsored

JlURT

First Name
WILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlURT18'
Anybody who took delivery after or in August of 2018 having issues with steering? I have slight wandering in my steering at times. My jku's had it but in the JL it's more pronounced when it does happen(100% hwy). It's not that big of a deal and is somewhat expected with a solid axle. Other then that no issues what so ever. Took delivery of my JLURT in August and I'm wondering if alot if not all of the issues were fixed by then.

Wischy

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Anybody who took delivery after or in August of 2018 having issues with steering? I have slight wandering in my steering at times. My jku's had it but in the JL it's more pronounced when it does happen(100% hwy). It's not that big of a deal and is somewhat expected with a solid axle. Other then that no issues what so ever. Took delivery of my JLURT in August and I'm wondering if alot if not all of the issues were fixed by then.
Yes. I replaced my 2014 JK Polar Edition this past January with a 2019 Moab Edition. My 2008, 2012 & 2014 JK steering never felt this loose, nor did I have to pay this much attention trying to stay in the lane at highway speeds. I've even replaced the mud terrains it came with with KO2 all-terrains hoping to get a better ride that tracked better (tire pressure dialed in at 35). Still no luck.

The other thing I've noticed is that the steering doesn't snap back as much as my JK's when taking a sharp turn. For example when pulling out onto a main road, I have to bring the steering back to neutral. I made an appointment in early March to have it looked at, but not getting my hopes up being that there doesn't seem to be a defined "smoking gun" at this point that addresses the problem.

My 2012 JK was a lemon and I had the unfortunate pleasure of fighting with FCA to make things right. For that issue (major water leaks), I had to get a case escalated within FCA and it took me calling 3 to 4 times a week over a 6 month period to get them to buy the vehicle back.

It is discouraging spending 50k and having fight through these types of quality control issues. It goes to show you how awesome of a ride they are, I keep coming back for more, still worth it to me.

Good luck to everyone having this issue.

Potts44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7
the handling on rough roads is like driving my dads 67 pontiac. it sucks. wanders and cin need of constant correction. not fun to drive! My 83 CJ7 handles better. i'll stick to my chevy truck

Nicolas916

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Just hit 1k miles on my 2019 JLUs. I find that my jeep commands a lot more driving attention than any of my other vehicles. I do have wandering issues on the freeway but I've gotten used to it by now. I can't tell if my steering wheel is overly sensitive or if there is a dead space at center position. Best way for me to describe it is I'm always making small steering adjustments to stay in my lane when traveling on the freeway. Its almost more comfortable to have both hands on the wheel. First time Jeep owner so I've just figured it was a normal jeep thing.
Sponsored