• Total voters

Pjhusker

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, 2019 Tahoe, 2020 JLU Sport S
Steering is great, no issues with 6.5K on Scarlet so far.
Sponsored

Rasdanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Had a bad steering wheel shimmy problem at higher speeds 65-70mph after hitting bumps or expansion joints. Scary AF! Got a wheel balance and now everything is fine. 36ish psi. Otherwise, no drift, no wheel play or dead spots. For anyone who has the high speed “death wobble” or wheel shake problem, try wheel balance first. Cheap fix

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
While I have had other issues (valve train and center screen) mine steers just fine, clearly not like a sports car, but like you would expect a highly competent off road vehicle to act. I can easily steer with one hand or even a few fingers on the interstate. Surprisingly, even after the dealer topped off the tires to 39psi (gee thanks!) the steering still acts fine on the freeway at 70-75mph

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Day two and my steering still feels awesome. Much better than my old JKU, and that wasn't bad.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I've had perfect steering from day 1. No death wobble, no looseness. I only hit the loss of power assist once (on the first sub freezing day) then had the TSB applied and it never happened again.

I relate my steering feel to that of a Tahoe or other SUV.

Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
well, if there is one good piece of news in this thread, it's that the power steering freezing / lockup that has been discussed on this forum appears to be an infrequent complaint. hopefully FCA comes out with a TSB soon so the rest of us can get an alignment / suspension check / stearing gear and/or software flash under warranty to fix the excessive play and wandering.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Thick pacers can give you wobbles, folks. You are lifting the Jeep up and messing with its caster, without correcting it. If you are going to lift it a few inches or more, spend the money and get a real lift that comes with the ability to dial your geometry back into place. Those cheap spacers can really do some damage.

To adjust toe, lift your driver side wheel and make the adjustments per the pictures. Do the toe in very very very small increments, like the width of a hair (seriously) drive it around, readjust, until you like it. Then do the steering wheel alignment.

If you have a cheap lift kit you might be screwed until you get a real lift and can make adjustments that you can’t make on a stock Jeep, but remember, as you keep driving around with wobble, you are damaging everything more and more.

Once a year, get your ball joints greased. Worn out ball joints will make your Jeep wobble.

This is all easy stuff once you learn it and get used to it. Enjoy your Jeeps! Wobble is easily avoided if you know what to do. And keep those wheels balanced.

CE02ECC8-1EA9-4A4D-94E9-C2122DC0DDA7.jpeg

57AF6D11-61ED-41FF-96E7-990D78941B19.jpeg

Zelena’s green

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara, Mojito green
2018 Mojito! JL ordered on 9/08/18, received on 10/18/18, currently at 1750 miles, and I have had no issues. Zelena is AWESOME!

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
My 2019 JLUR was delivered on 12.5.18. I picked it up on 12.7.18. Currently, it has some 4,500 miles.

The steering and handling have been perfect, thus far. I trust that it remains that way.

Billw

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Sport S
Occupation
Business Owner
2018 JLU Sport S with built date in March 2018, purchased a few weeks ago with about 700 miles on it now. Updated with aftermarket wheels and 33" tires led lights, etc., I'm happy to report that I have no steering issues, steering is fairly tight and precise, no wondering at any speed, lucky me!

Sponsored

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Good morning , I'm not sure if there's a specific thread for this so forgive me. I just had an idea because it did work for me some years back. Regardless of the issues we are having with theJeeps, Most states have pretty stringent lemon laws. However, you need to follow the exact protocol for your particularstate. Perhaps whether it's a steering issue, oil , water leakEtc if everyone follows their state guidelines for the LemonLaw perhaps FCA and every single dealership will take us more serious with what we aretrying to tell them? In New Jersey, I did this many years ago. what I had to do and it's been awhile so forgive me if I'm a little off on this but, from the very first attempt at a repair I had to put in writing /certified mail and send it to the dealership and the manufacturer my intention was to proceed with lemon law guidelines. I think they get three chances to fix it after that they replaced my vehicle, but you need to follow the protocol from day one. so ,perhaps if everyone on here did this let's face it the bottom line is the almighty dollar! if the dealerships and FCA have to start replacing vehicles they'll be a lot more on top of things and hearing what we all have to say. :)

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
2019 JLUR. Almost 2000 miles. Steering was non-defective to begin with, no issues with welds or poor performance. No play, no lockups. It isn’t like a sports car like I’m used to, but nothing was wrong with it. However I still replaced the stabilizer with the Fox one and that improved the feel. I added the SteerSmarts Yeti XD front track bar while installing my 2” Dynatrac lift this past weekend and that improved it even more. It’s crisper and firmer. At some point soon I’ll add longer or adjustable LCA to increase caster to 6 degrees.

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
nearly 14k miles and I have been in 4x due to DT. They replaced my stabilizer about 5 weeks ago and it is now back again. I was able to reproduce it with the lead technician at the dealership in the car. They just went through it top to bottom and it is all tight except they say there is excessive play in my steering box. They still have the JL. New steering box on order for Thursday delivery. We’ll see.
Sponsored