Sponsored

Check in here if your steering is good. Tight, No wander, No Wobble

My JL Steering is

• Total voters

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
2018 JLU Rubicon, all stock. 6/18 build. 2600 miles. At first it seemed to wander a little bit. Not sure if things have tightened up on their own as things have settled in, or slightly lower tire pressure (33 now vs 38 at receipt), but everything seems really solid and true. No wander whatsoever now.
some folks have stated that it's less noticeable in the winter when the temps are cold
Sponsored

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
Mine is still brand new and unmodified. Steering is perfectly fine on road.

PizzaFreak

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue 2 door JL
2018 July build here, Jeep drives great, love it. The dog doesn't care for it though, I don't think!

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Late August build and good to go

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
Perfect! 7500mi :like:

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Get my 2019 next week but my 2012 JK with 37,000 miles drives perfectly with 305/70s. If the tire pressure is in the upper 30s it gets a little goosey.

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
So mine will go side to side slightly on the highway, but nothing id take it in for service for. I figured it was just a product of purposely imprecise steering (for offroad), and large sidewall tires.

More troubling is that at certain speeds on the highway i get momentary "axle hop" feeling, as if the tire is bouncing up and down very fast but it goes away within a half second. I figure this may just be a characteristic of Live axle... my Mustang will do this but only under heavy acceleration in the rear (since fixed with control arm upgrade).

Hard to tell whats normal as this is my first Jeep. None of this really bothers me much.. so unsure if i should go through the pain in the arse of taking in to the dealer to look at or not.
Anyone have an opinion?
Sorry to say, but I definitely think your steering is wrong. I have tested 3 different JL’s on and off road and one was definitely not tight enough.
I would certainly have it checked.

yell03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I checked off awesome, but keep in mind this is not a car,
My son always had Jeeps, this is the 1st one I drive primarily.
I currently also have a 2018 Ford Raptor and a 2014 Jaguar F Type V8S convertible.
Before that I have always had some sort of sports car, GTR, Vette, Viper, Mustang, etc...

I have over 5000 miles on mine, bought it with 3000.
Soon after I put on Fuel 17x9s with Toyo Open Country MTs 35x12.5

With that out of the way, in the city it drives fantastic, much more nimble than the Raptor and much easier to park.
The V6 has plenty of power, definitely quick enough.
On the highway I catch myself driving slower than I should and have to force myself to go faster.
It does not wander or maybe I am just used to it?

The 1st time I had it on the highway it was a windy day and I was fighting to keep it straight, but that was probably due to wind.

Last night coming home from a 76ers game on I-95 I would catch myself driving 55 when I should be driving 60-70 depending on lane choice.

I will say, this is is the only vehicle I have ever had that I don't like driving over 70, the Raptor or Jaguar I have to make sure I am driving slow enough.

Is all of this related to the handling, not sure, but the steering is tight and accurate and it tracks straight.

Sponsored

Jeepo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB C250; Audi A4; Toyota 4Runner; Ram 1500; Ducati Panigale; Harley Davidson Road King; Trek Mountain Bike; Segway.........
I have 4500 miles on my 2018 JLR with a build date of July 2018. The steering wanders. Around early September, I made an appointment with the dealership and dropped it off early in the morning, at around 4PM, they finally called me and said that the Jeep is ready. I went in to pick it up, they said that everything is normal (they drove the jeep for 60 miles). So I requested for the mechanic to go with me, after about half a mile, the mechanic said, yep, it needs to be adjusted, drop it off early in the morning and "we will prioritize the alignment, it should be in and out". I did that, after three hours, they said everything is good. After driving it for few miles, it does track straight but it still wanders.......... I don't take my jeep in the freeway as it drives fine up to 50mph. I was told by the dealership that it's a jeep thing. I secretly hopes that there will be a recall about this, but the way the poll is looking, recall is never going to happen. I still love the jeep, i just don't take it to the freeway. I do not have any confidence with the service department in any jeep dealership in AK. I do hope that this will get sorted out soon. It is what it is........ I am happy I have a jeep Rubicon, I'm just not confident driving it over 55mph, especially here in AK where you can find yourself on a ditch in no time. I took the back seat out and put some rice and gallons of water for traction on ice......

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Terrific! I have yet to understand any of the talk of steering issues or notice any in the three I drove prior to bringing Blu bi kong home.
Amazing to comfortably drive it to any off-road destination, put it in extreme cold, extreme hot, 3' of water, frame deep mud, rocks, hills, sand or fireroads then shift back into 2wd and comfortably drive a couple hundred miles home.
Big kudos to Jeep

LadynKy

First Name
Yolanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Moab
2018 850 miles got the Death Wobble, parts back ordered go figure!!!....
I was waiting and got the part and I still have the Death Wobble. The damper didn’t work for me. The wobble is t as bad yet but it’s bad. Good luck to you.

Jeepo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB C250; Audi A4; Toyota 4Runner; Ram 1500; Ducati Panigale; Harley Davidson Road King; Trek Mountain Bike; Segway.........
Sorry to say, but I definitely think your steering is wrong. I have tested 3 different JL’s on and off road and one was definitely not tight enough.
I would certainly have it checked.
i do believe mine is the same way, had it check and was told that everything is normal. This jeep is like a tank in snow. as long as I'm going below 50 mph, this jeep is great. The shifting between 2H and 4H is seamless, better than the 4Runner Off Road, the steering of the vehicle, not so much.

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
For the people that say their Jeep wanders a bit on the lane at highway speeds:

Have you thought about cross wind and their effects on vehicle dynamics? On cross wind gusts, even if you keep your wheels straight, the car will slightly shift its trajectory...
Sponsored