Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Does anyone else think that the base model JLU Sport is actually the best looking of the bunch?

To me I absolutely hate the Sport S wheels, Sahara grill accents, bumper chrome trim and running boards make it look like any other SUV, and the Rubicon design doesn't flow as well with the busy vented hood, flashy hood decals, and higher fender mounting points.

I love the clean lines of the JLU and feel that the black steel wheels and basic no nonsense trim of the Sport make it the best looking of the 4 models. Just wish there was a trim level between the Sport and the Sport S that came with steel wheels but offered Power windows and Door locks.

It looks like there are some great deals all models of JL's in OP's link.
I've always preferred the look of the Sports. I appreciate the Rubicons but I found the Hard Rocks and Recons a little over the top for me personally and I would feel like a Poser with one because I don't rock crawl. To me the base JL/U Rubicon is equivalent to a Hard Rock/Recon.

That being said when I saw a JLU Rubicon in person it was very badass. I had seen tons of videos and pics but they don't do it justice.
Sponsored

blackjackpershing

First Name
Rock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
wait is this our first look at a standard top? or does the premium top not come with tinted windows on the Sport base?

OP
OP
Armycop

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
wait is this our first look at a standard top? or does the premium top not come with tinted windows on the Sport base?
I looked at the window sticker on the website. Standard soft top.

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
A few months ago, my nephew (11 year old), recently rode in a car that had manual crank windows and thought they were "cool".

Sponsored

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at the window sticker on the website. Standard soft top.
thanks, yea i forgot the sport base does not get the premium soft top option so this is in fact the standard soft top.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Edit: Something odd about one of the listings though. Could be mistaken, but I didn't think push button proximity key start was available on the base JL.
Proximity key is for push button start only and standard on all trim levels. Proximity keyless entry not available option for Sport or Sport S.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Are those black wheels gloss or matte?

Also the rear quarter window in the soft top doesn’t line up with the rear door window. Wonder if the premium top has same alignment.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are those black wheels gloss or matte?

Also the rear quarter window in the soft top doesn’t line up with the rear door window. Wonder if the premium top has same alignment.
none of them do, I think there was a thread on that somewhere but I dont remember, my guess is it was intentional since they have been touting larger windows all around....its not as noticeable on the premium tops due to tinting.

Rubicon_Softop_002-864x520.jpg

2018-jl-wrangler-rubicon-unlimited.jpg

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
what worries me honestly is all the paint chipping on these mules.....the grills are all sorts of messed up...not trying to hijack just an observation because there have been a few early photos showing black all over the grills like the top coat is flaking away....maybe it was from the camo covers rubbing and flapping in the wind all that time they were being driven while concealed.

2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-2-door-rubicon-firecracker-red-3.jpg

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
what worries me honestly is all the paint chipping on these mules.....the grills are all sorts of messed up...not trying to hijack just an observation because there have been a few early photos showing black all over the grills like the top coat is flaking away....maybe it was from the camo covers rubbing and flapping in the wind all that time they were being driven while concealed.

2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-2-door-rubicon-firecracker-red-3.jpg
I don't think that is paint. I think it is black camo that has partially peeled off.

OP
OP
Armycop

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What may annoy me is having to pull out that huge keyfob, pop out the switchblade key to unlock the door then fold it back up, shove it in my pocket and push the button to start. I'm still going to have to walk all the way around to the passengers side door and unlock the back door for my daughter or have to stretch to reach the interior lock. I may just have to cough up the money for the S even though I hate the silver stock rims.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
There's just something about the simplicity of the Base Sport that makes me want it. I'm getting a 2 door, so the lack of power windows doesn't really concern me. I just wish I could get key-less entry and the Premium Top. I suppose I could just leave the doors unlocked. It's not like a canvas top is going to keep anyone out.

As for the trims with power locks and windows, It seems stupid of Jeep to make Proximity Ignition standard on a car and not include Proximity Entry standard. I mean, all the needed parts are in the Jeep already, aren't they?

Last edited:

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
There's just something about the simplicity of the Base Sport that makes me want it. I'm getting a 2 door, so the lack of power windows doesn't really concern me. I just wish I could get key-less entry and the Premium Top. I suppose I could just leave the doors unlocked. It's not like a canvas top is going to keep anyone out.

As for the trims with power lock and windows, It seems stupid of Jeep to make Proximity Ignition standard on a car and not include Proximity Entry standard. I mean, all the needed parts are in the Jeep already, aren't they?
They don't want you to buy a base model. There's FCA vehicles that have a navigation capable infotainment, where on a lower trim you have to pay the dealer several hundred dollars to electronically "unlock" it.

I bet it costs more for jeep to put crank windows in than power at this point, due to economies of scale. Wouldn't be surprised if the no A/C serpentine belt is expensive as well, due to being rare.

They do the same thing with the 2 door. The 4 door has standard A/C, and the 2 door does not. Because they are not trying to encourage 2 door sales.

They're happy to keep the 6 speed manual around so that they can offer an automatic for a $2,000 upcharge!

OP
OP
Armycop

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought that it was mandatory for cars to lock when the vehicle starts moving. All my vehicles that I've owned with power locks have done it. I would think making different doors and bumpers (winglets) for the Sport would cost more in the long run.
Sponsored