cheap sleep system (for 1 person)

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Has anyone figured out how to move the front passenger seat a bit further forward to get more room. I need a few more inches to be able to stretch out. My head is rubbing on the back of the front seat, otherwise this would be perfect.
I move the front seat all the way forward and tilt the tack all the way forward. I'm 6'4" tall and I can't stretch out completely this way but if I sleep slightly diagonal then I can. Normally I don't sleep stretched out all the way so this isn't a problem. When diagonal I am still all on the brown mattress except my feet are off of it by about 6".

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Has anyone figured out how to move the front passenger seat a bit further forward to get more room. I need a few more inches to be able to stretch out. My head is rubbing on the back of the front seat, otherwise this would be perfect.
This was one of my biggest gripes when reviewing the JL to some fellow Jeep friends after I picked mine up. The fact we lost the flip down front seats (granted, the JK's were the same) in unlimited models felt like a huge let down to folks who had unlimited TJs (LJs). It's like they decided we didn't need that space with unlimited models, rather than being like yea....the additional space is cool and why not even more? Total Bummer.

As the forward slide is limited by the track you'd need to make custom brackets to physically move the bolt location even further.

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
I may seriously consider that. I know a company a makes them to have the seat go back further for tall guys.
I have a TJ which is why it’s weird for me the limitation.
min also going to try tilt forward and see how that works.
I have a stove on my tailgate so I lose the 4” I need.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have set up a cot like this:

Jeep Wrangler JL cheap sleep system (for 1 person) 1621955229168

In the back of my grand cherokee when I'm at the race track for the weekend many times. It works great unless you end up drinking a lot. Trying to get out at 4 am to take a leak and not kick all your belongings out of your vehicle in a drunken stumble is difficult to do haha! Not sure if this REI cot would fit in the back of a JLU, but man is it comfortable. I swear sometimes I sleep better on this cot than I do my memory foam mattress.

I liked how this setup creates some space under you, rather than restricting space above you.

Sponsored

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
This was one of my biggest gripes when reviewing the JL to some fellow Jeep friends after I picked mine up. The fact we lost the flip down front seats (granted, the JK's were the same) in unlimited models felt like a huge let down to folks who had unlimited TJs (LJs). It's like they decided we didn't need that space with unlimited models, rather than being like yea....the additional space is cool and why not even more? Total Bummer.

As the forward slide is limited by the track you'd need to make custom brackets to physically move the bolt location even further.
I had an LJ also... I simply removed the front passenger seat and built a small plywood shelf to be even with the lvel of the back of the Jeep so I could sleep flat. Was (is) just me anyway, and the passenger seat served no purpose other than to hold up my camera bag, which the wood platform also did admirably. Obviously not so swell if one has other folks to cart around.

On the other hand, if your sleeping in the Jeep jaunts are really frequent, it may be worth it to just take it out, and if it is an infrequent camp occasion then maybe it isn't such a heartache to build a small platform to take out the seat and put it back in when you are done. A bit more bother, but it just becomes part of the trip prep, as it were.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I had an LJ also... I simply removed the front passenger seat and built a small plywood shelf to be even with the lvel of the back of the Jeep so I could sleep flat. Was (is) just me anyway, and the passenger seat served no purpose other than to hold up my camera bag, which the wood platform also did admirably. Obviously not so swell if one has other folks to cart around.

On the other hand, if your sleeping in the Jeep jaunts are really frequent, it may be worth it to just take it out, and if it is an infrequent camp occasion then maybe it isn't such a heartache to build a small platform to take out the seat and put it back in when you are done. A bit more bother, but it just becomes part of the trip prep, as it were.
I hear ya man. I slept diagonal in thw LJ lots, eventually got a heavy ass tube rack and a RTT. That was a fun setup, pic below. On the JL, same deal went with the diagonal sleeping for 7 months (because I ordered my UM first month and had to wait)
Jeep Wrangler JL cheap sleep system (for 1 person) 20190726_202752

Now it's all ez mode. :)
Jeep Wrangler JL cheap sleep system (for 1 person) Screenshot_20210525-151749_Instagram

Sponsored

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Heh heh... well... the ultimate (IMHO) is the UM option.

Want to order one, but it would be mostly unused for the foreseeable future and maybe not fit in my garage (which I will not do without in the snowy north here).

Alas, the floor plates and cramped quarters of the non-modded JLU will have to suffice for now. At least I am shorter and fit just fine from the tailgate to the pushed forward front seat.

I will be missing that UM if I get to take my mountains trip this summer, but I will be stoked to get the hell out of dodge for awhile!

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
I move the front seat all the way forward and tilt the tack all the way forward. I'm 6'4" tall and I can't stretch out completely this way but if I sleep slightly diagonal then I can. Normally I don't sleep stretched out all the way so this isn't a problem. When diagonal I am still all on the brown mattress except my feet are off of it by about 6".
My seat does not tilt forward very much. Am I missing something - it maybe goes to 90 deg.
Sponsored