Cheap Lug Nuts and Air Impact Wrenches - A Cautionary Tale

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
First, I pray this never happens to you.

So, the story begins with me purchasing a beautiful JLUR from a forum member. I didn’t love the wheels he had on it, so I purchased some new bronze ones. I took it down to a shop that mounted the existing tires on the new wheels. All was well…..I love the new wheels. The shop that mounted the wheels did a poor job balancing them, but it was a little country shop, so I took it into Discount Tire to get them balanced with their Road Force balancing machines. I’m hanging out in the lobby when a tech comes to get me and take me to the shop. The short version is that they broke THREE lug nuts, leaving the bottom acorn portion on the stud. Of course, at this point, there is nothing they can do. They told me whoever worked on it last had over-torqued the lug nuts. I was pissed as you can imagine. The short version of the story is that I took it home and attempted to remove the remaining portions of the lugs, no joy on every method and attempt. So, after some Googling, I learn the only option is to drill out the stud and replace it. What a COLOSSAL PIA. I destroyed a number of titanium bits and learned the hard way how to effectively drill into steel. So, some pictures and lessons for you, in the event this happens to you.

RCA (Root Cause Analysis) - I have figured out that this was a combination of several issues. First, the lug nuts the prior owner had purchased were likely cheap eBay or Amazon lug nuts. He undoubtedly wanted to upgrade to black lug nuts and bought a $25 set. Second, the guys who mounted the wheels did in fact over-torque them. Third, the tech at Discount Tire used an air impact wrench to attempt to remove them and didn’t have the sense to move to a breaker bar after he sheared one off. I could forgive the first and maybe the second, but common sense was an uncommon virtue that day at Discount Tire.

The Fix - Get yourself some Cobalt drill bits. You need a good drill driver and just some regular motor oil to lube the bit. Drill slowly and progressively increase the bit size as you go. I nailed how to do it on the third one. Slow and methodical drilling with lots of lube (no “That’s what she said jokes”). After you bore out the threads inside the remainder of the lug, you can jack it up and kick the tire side to side with other lug nuts removed. With some patience, it will eventually give and break off. Replacing the lug studs is actually relatively easy in the rear. You knock the old one out and reinsert the new from the rear. You have to use some washers on the front and use the lug nut to pull in and seat the new stud. The front requires you to loosen the hub and remove the large nut on the front axle to give you enough space to insert it from the back. Putting the new studs in is really pretty easy.

Buy quality lug nuts - Gorilla and McGard are high quality. Torque to spec and don’t let techs use air impact wrenches on your lug nuts, to the extent you can control it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Lug Nuts and Air Impact Wrenches - A Cautionary Tale 4FD23A39-EBA6-43BB-B0CB-BDA20EEFC2B3

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Lug Nuts and Air Impact Wrenches - A Cautionary Tale 269A4ED9-2569-48D7-9A31-F704F54F8555

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Lug Nuts and Air Impact Wrenches - A Cautionary Tale C50E2AB9-E621-4B01-9F0B-36ED58B6043C

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Lug Nuts and Air Impact Wrenches - A Cautionary Tale 7BDD989D-E706-40D1-A258-48791BECFF3A

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Lug Nuts and Air Impact Wrenches - A Cautionary Tale 460826A7-B7A8-406D-8EB0-8326860CF703
Sponsored

Gobirat

First Name
Gobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4XE
Occupation
Retired
When I got my new 4XE and swapped to bigger tires, I told them no rattle guns and over stretching the lugs. Put them on by hand to correct torque. I had a new vet and bought new wheels and the first thing they do is use an impact and scratch the paint around the holes. I have a nice torque wrench and wont let anyone do tire rotations anymore. Not much pride left, I will do it myself

Last edited:

ClubKenny

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 2 Door
The techs have common sense, they just don't care. Pride in your work is what has really disappeared. I probably sound like an old man, but it's true.

I'm glad you were able to get them off, I would have been royally screwed, because I don't have the skillset to do what you did. I would have needed new wheels.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I watch guys all the time try to drill into steel at high speeds, pushing and twisting, cussing and spitting.

Drilling into hard metals at slow speeds is something I learned in shop class in 7th grade. :)

Lugs are especially tedious and boring. Congrats and getting it done.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I was just planning to put the white Quadratec CJ Retro alloy wheels back on my Jeep. The black anodized West Coast lug nuts that are on there are totally chipped and corroded, and was looking for a new set.

Thanks for the heads up!

Sponsored

Gobirat

First Name
Gobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4XE
Occupation
Retired

So, the story begins with me purchasing a beautiful JLUR from a forum member. I didn’t love the wheels he had on it, so I purchased some new bronze ones. I took it down to a shop that mounted the existing tires on the new wheels. All was well…..I love the new wheels. The shop that mounted the wheels did a poor job balancing them, but it was a little country shop, so I took it into Discount Tire to get them balanced with their Road Force balancing machines. I’m hanging out in the lobby when a tech comes to get me and take me to the shop. The short version is that they broke THREE lug nuts, leaving the bottom acorn portion on the stud. Of course, at this point, there is nothing they can do. They told me whoever worked on it last had over-torqued the lug nuts. I was pissed as you can imagine. The short version of the story is that I took it home and attempted to remove the remaining portions of the lugs, no joy on every method and attempt. So, after some Googling, I learn the only option is to drill out the stud and replace it. What a COLOSSAL PIA. I destroyed a number of titanium bits and learned the hard way how to effectively drill into steel. So, some pictures and lessons for you, in the event this happens to you.

RCA (Root Cause Analysis) - I have figured out that this was a combination of several issues. First, the lug nuts the prior owner had purchased were likely cheap eBay or Amazon lug nuts. He undoubtedly wanted to upgrade to black lug nuts and bought a $25 set. Second, the guys who mounted the wheels did in fact over-torque them. Third, the tech at Discount Tire used an air impact wrench to attempt to remove them and didn’t have the sense to move to a breaker bar after he sheared one off. I could forgive the first and maybe the second, but common sense was an uncommon virtue that day at Discount Tire.

The Fix - Get yourself some Cobalt drill bits. You need a good drill driver and just some regular motor oil to lube the bit. Drill slowly and progressively increase the bit size as you go. I nailed how to do it on the third one. Slow and methodical drilling with lots of lube (no “That’s what she said jokes”). After you bore out the threads inside the remainder of the lug, you can jack it up and kick the tire side to side with other lug nuts removed. With some patience, it will eventually give and break off. Replacing the lug studs is actually relatively easy in the rear. You knock the old one out and reinsert the new from the rear. You have to use some washers on the front and use the lug nut to pull in and seat the new stud. The front requires you to loosen the hub and remove the large nut on the front axle to give you enough space to insert it from the back. Putting the new studs in is really pretty easy.

Buy quality lug nuts - Gorilla and McGard are high quality. Torque to spec and don’t let techs use air impact wrenches on your lug nuts, to the extent you can control it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Lug Nuts and Air Impact Wrenches - A Cautionary Tale 460826A7-B7A8-406D-8EB0-8326860CF703

Good thing they were not tightening nuts on an airplane wing spar!

Gobirat

First Name
Gobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4XE
Occupation
Retired
I watch guys all the time try to drill into steel at high speeds, pushing and twisting, cussing and spitting.

Drilling into hard metals at slow speeds is something I learned in shop class in 7th grade. :)

Yes, I know a buddy that was drilling out stuff at high speed than was complaining it wouldn't drill. I watched him do one, he would go to fast and get it to hot, then quench it with water and go again. Not realizing he has now hardened the steel lol. Made it harder than the hubs of hell.

Last edited:

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
I was just planning to put the white Quadratec CJ Retro alloy wheels back on my Jeep. The black anodized West Coast lug nuts that are on there are totally chipped and corroded, and was looking for a new set.

Thanks for the heads up!
Your Jeep looks awesome w/ the white wheels, by the way! :involve:

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Sahara 4xe
Wife took her 4xe in for the jeep wave oil and rotation service while getting the battery replaced under warranty. They used a socket that wasnt deep enough with one hell of an impact wrench to push the top half out of line with the bottom half. Made it so I couldnt get a socket more than 1/3-1/2 on to the lug nut and had to break out the jack handle on the breaker bar to get them off.

Thankfully had an extra set of factory lugs from my gladiator that I was able to swap over when I switched rims and tires.

OP
OP
jthoms1

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Yeah it was brutal until I applied the principle of “slow is smooth and smooth is fast”.

Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Drilling hard steel can be tough and tedious so I know you earned that success. I've been looking those lug nut pictures over and I'm not impressed by them at all. Worked on lots of different cars and trucks and never would trust a lug nut with a sidewall that thin. These new thin walled splined lug nuts are not really strong enough to hold up over time in my opinion. I've never snapped off a standard hex style lug nut. Studs? Yes!

Yes, an idiot can send even very durable parts to the scrap heap. But it appears it was too easy for these to break off. I've pressure tested some lug nuts in my days as a mechanic and the stud was always the loser and not the lug nut. With one exception, Bud style truck wheels. The inner lug nut would snap off even under the best conditions. Anyway, just my opinion based on my personal experience.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
Jeep uses the shittiest lug nuts.

OP
OP
jthoms1

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Drilling hard steel can be tough and tedious so I know you earned that success. I've been looking those lug nut pictures over and I'm not impressed by them at all. Worked on lots of different cars and trucks and never would trust a lug nut with a sidewall that thin. These new thin walled splined lug nuts are not really strong enough to hold up over time in my opinion. I've never snapped off a standard hex style lug nut. Studs? Yes!

Yes, an idiot can send even very durable parts to the scrap heap. But it appears it was too easy for these to break off. I've pressure tested some lug nuts in my days as a mechanic and the stud was always the loser and not the lug nut. With one exception, Bud style truck wheels. The inner lug nut would snap off even under the best conditions. Anyway, just my opinion based on my personal experience.
Agreed. I'll send a pic of the Gorilla next to the cheap ones for comparison.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
It has, and I had to pay for the corresponding repair. After I discovered the damage and reached out to the dealer, I took cold comfort in learning that the offending "tech" was no longer in their employ.

I now write "Hand torque ALL fasteners" on the preliminary work orders that I sign when turning over the vehicle and the keys to the Service Writer. PA has an annual Safety Inspection requirement, so I know that at least one front and one rear wheel have to be removed to inspect the condition of the pads and rotors.

I'm glad you got things worked out here, Jeff. I've said before that impact wrenches should be designed and sold with counterclockwise (i.e., loosening) rotation only, and/or require a license to purchase them.

I know that time is money, but neither a Service Dept. nor a tire shop is a NASCAR pit stop, FFS.

Gobirat

First Name
Gobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 4XE
Occupation
Retired
It has, and I had to pay for the corresponding repair. After I discovered the damage and reached out to the dealer, I took cold comfort in learning that the offending "tech" was no longer in their employ.

I now write "Hand torque ALL fasteners" on the preliminary work orders that I sign when turning over the vehicle and the keys to the Service Writer. PA has an annual Safety Inspection requirement, so I know that at least one front and one rear wheel have to be removed to inspect the condition of the pads and rotors.

I'm glad you got things worked out here, Jeff. I've said before that impact wrenches should be designed and sold with counterclockwise (i.e., loosening) rotation only, and/or require a license to purchase them.

I know that time is money, but neither a Service Dept. nor a tire shop is a NASCAR pit stop, FFS.

They love rattle guns and torque sticks. I take pride in hand torquing my wheels on rotations etc. It only takes one idiot to stretch the studs or scratch the rims all up with a turned up impact.
Sponsored