DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I thought we need to have a thread for cheap Jeep hacks. Get your popcorn, because with some of the creative minds and skilled hands around here, there should be some good stuff.

Post 'em up! I know I've got some, too. I'll post up when I think of them and take pics.

Bring it on!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Well, one of my little mods / hacks, is the plastic hook I installed on the inside of my JL's fuel door.

Thanks to the hook, no more gas cap lying on the painted surface.

Also, keeps the gas cap out of mud, snow or sleet on the side of the JL.

I have had the hook installed or months now and geeeeeeeeeeeeeez, it has worked out well.

01.jpg

02.jpg

It's just one of these trimmed down and applied to the fuel door:
uuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

You can read more about the hook and where to get it, here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-fuel-door-install-video.4861/page-2#post-298930

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, one of my little mods / hacks, is the plastic hook I installed on the inside of my JL's fuel door.

Thanks to the hook, no more gas cap lying on the painted surface.

Also, keeps the gas cap out of mud, snow or sleet on the side of the JL.

I have had the hook installed or months now and geeeeeeeeeeeeeez, it has worked out well.

01.jpg

02.jpg

It's just one of these trimmed down and applied to the fuel door:
uuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

You can read more about the hook and where to get it, here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-fuel-door-install-video.4861/page-2#post-298930

Love it! I just put that in my cart on Amazon!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Last edited:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
@DanW if it's ok with you I'm going to put some links here to on and off bboard places where people have put hacks I've really enjoyed (I think this a great idea!)

Perhaps--and since you started this thread @DanW you ought to have a final say on this question/definition.

Q: "What's the difference between the thread "What did you do To you Jeep JL today" and hacks? In fact, what is a hack?

A: The "What did you do To you Jeep JL today" is awesome. Nobody disagrees. But it probably best serves the purpose of people showing modifications that they've made to their JL with, in large part, purchased product they've then installed on their rigs, or in the case of a vendor or a customizer, product they've made.

A Wrangler hack, on the other hand, and I admit there are sometimes fine lines, is more about solving a problem, usually a relatively simple one, by incorporating and repurposing off the shelf items of relatively minimal expense, in unique and creative ways, that either a vendor hasn't addressed before, or does so at a price that might makes us come up with a cheaper, albeit if not sometimes as polished a solution.

Maybe examples might help:

Here was the ultimate hack, before there was such a thing as people posting hacks. It was an example of American resolution at its finest:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
If cheap is the criteria, how about free. This might be dumb, but it works great for me so I'll share it here. When the sun goes down in the desert it gets cold fast. Thus, I keep a jacket in the Jeep. However, thrown in the back, it is always in the way. So, I simply folded it up, with the zippers inside the folds (non-scratch position), until it was about 1/4 width and stuffed it between the rear roll bar and the hard top. You know, that place where FCA forgot to put the sound proofing! Since it's black it blends in well ... out of the way, and yet, instantly available.

20181122_110904.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, really there aren't many restrictions. You could put any of this stuff in the what did you do to your Jeep today thread. I just thought this would be fun for free or cheap mods or hacks. A hack is something that you modify or use for a purpose not originally intended. It is something creative. The hook on the gas cap would be an example, as would caribiner grab handles. That kind of stuff.

I really don't want to take away from the do to your Jeep thread, but some may be looking for something more specific. For example, someone could post that they washed and waxed their Jeep in the other thread. It is pretty broad. This one is a bit more narrow, but again, it is for fun, not for policing. I just like talking Jeeps, so I don't think someone could post something here that would bother me one bit.

I know I've got some hacks in my JK, after 11 years of ownership. I've got to go out and sit in it and look around. The JL probably has a few, too, by now.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Ok, really there aren't many restrictions. You could put any of this stuff in the what did you do to your Jeep today thread. I just thought this would be fun for free or cheap mods or hacks. A hack is something that you modify or use for a purpose not originally intended. It is something creative. The hook on the gas cap would be an example, as would caribiner grab handles. That kind of stuff.

I really don't want to take away from the do to your Jeep thread, but some may be looking for something more specific. For example, someone could post that they washed and waxed their Jeep in the other thread. It is pretty broad. This one is a bit more narrow, but again, it is for fun, not for policing. I just like talking Jeeps, so I don't think someone could post something here that would bother me one bit.

I know I've got some hacks in my JK, after 11 years of ownership. I've got to go out and sit in it and look around. The JL probably has a few, too, by now.

Exactly.

Some of "What you do to Your Jeep today will be hacks."

This hopefully is a sub-subject of that massive thread where those things done are hacks, of which I'd say the vast majority of things on that thread are not hacks because they are relatively expensive and/or time consuming mods usually involving the purchase of some professional's creative idea, compared to the relatively inexpensive idea we discover ourselves and share.

This takes nothing away from that thread; in fact it enhances it because it branches its broad subject space down a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Last edited:

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Last edited:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I am revising post #5 above to include a suggestion, that members here may want to know about it, that was not mine, but from someone off bboard that I'll leave nameless and--please take my suggestion as well intentioned if not also unexplained--best remain that way (i.e. anonymous without explanation.)

This stuff

tubing.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...9b98a58d469e2a75fb0e8ec1d4c78f&language=en_US

some owners, particularly off roaders find useful to put between the fenders and body of their rigs to keep rocks from collecting there.

Last edited:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
I am revising post #5 above to include a suggestion, that members here may want to know about it, that was not mine, but from someone off bboard that I'll leave nameless and--please take my suggestion as well intentioned if not also unexplained--best remain that way (i.e. anonymous without explanation.)

This stuff

tubing.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...9b98a58d469e2a75fb0e8ec1d4c78f&language=en_US

some owners, particularly off roaders find useful to put between the fenders and body of their rigs to keep rocks from collecting there.
The company also sells a solid tubing. Does anyone have any experience with using it.

The reason I ask is that the gap between the fenders and the body is not consistent along the seam. I worked hard to get the welting evenly placed. But, the pressure washer drives the hollow welting inward in some places and not in others. Wondering if the solid stuff would work better. Either way, I love it out here in the land of decomposed granite particles ... does it's job well.
Sponsored