Sponsored

Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here!

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Hmmm, where does the bag comes from if deployed?
Below are some screen grabs I snatched really quickly. I was trying to capture the moment the airbag begins to deploy so you can see where it comes from and how it deploys.

You can see here the airbag comes from the painted part of your dash, about in the middle, the panel splits apart as the bag comes straight out. It looks as though the bottom of the airbag is right at the top of the grab bar.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! Screenshot 2022-05-13 10.55.15 PM

This outside camera if you look closely you can see just a microsecond before the interior shot above. This shows the split of the dash better and between the two I think you can understand how the dash splits, the bottom part swings down, as the airbag comes out.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! Screenshot 2022-05-13 10.54.06 PM

Here is the video I grabbed these images from. On a PC you can step through youtube videos frame by frame using the , and . keys if you want to see the deployments for yourself frame by frame:

Last edited:
OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Watch out for the airbag deployment.
It comes out of the middle of the dash panel, well above where that is mounted. It would likely knock that thing straight down.

Definitely something you want to watch out for, though. Much higher and it'd send it would go through your passenger's mind quicker than a dirty thought!

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
From behind that wireless charger that's embedded in your passenger's forehead.
:giggle:
Imagine the painted part of the dash panel as a Kleenex box with an opening in the middle. That's where it comes out.

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
Installed a magnetic wireless charger on the front grab bar for the passenger use.
I used a motorcycle strap ball mound and a mag-safe compatible charger, both from Amazon for about $25 total.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! Screenshot 2022-05-13 10.54.06 PM
Genius - please share where you got the strap and charger.

ElDoc72

First Name
Rogelio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler unlimited Sport S
Imagine the painted part of the dash panel as a Kleenex box with an opening in the middle. That's where it comes out.
So basically any mount that places the phone on that area, either from above or from below, would be dangerous 😒

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Installed a magnetic wireless charger on the front grab bar for the passenger use.
I used a motorcycle strap ball mound and a mag-safe compatible charger, both from Amazon for about $25 total.

@ElDoc72 I assume this is for an iphone? Will an iphone 13 just stick right to it or do you have to have a special case to make it stick? I have a regular pretty thin case and wondering if it would work still.

links to where you bought these? Thx

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Thanks a lot for the videos, very informative 😀
ha yeah sorry I should have put some text around that but it was late and I thought I could grab some quick screen shots trying to show exactly where and how the airbag deploys. I'll go back an edit it for anyone who might see it in the future. The bottom link in that post goes to the video I grabbed them from so you can go frame by frame yourself if you want to see.

I don't know how I feel about mounting anything onto that grab bar, or those little trays that tuck in behind it. It's probably fine but with no way to test my setup I'm hesitant to put something there. If it were just in front of me, okay fine no problem I accept the risk. But I never know who might be riding shotgun. I'm single, no kids, so not like I can ask a spouse if they're OK with it. Might be one of my friends... or my friends kids all seem to love riding with me. So for my situation I'm just not comfortable putting anything above the grab bar which may become a projectile. (the bags that hang below it I'm fine with, the mounts that have a phone or radio off to the far driver side I'm maybe OK with) But I don't judge anyone who does as long as everyone involved understands the risk.

ElDoc72

First Name
Rogelio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler unlimited Sport S
@ElDoc72 I assume this is for an iphone? Will an iphone 13 just stick right to it or do you have to have a special case to make it stick? I have a regular pretty thin case and wondering if it would work still.

links to where you bought these? Thx
iPhone 12 and 13 stick to it. The case needs to be compatible with MagSafe otherwise you lose the attachment strength. These are the things I got from Amazon:
ARKON Bike or Motorcycle... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P9XC3YO?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
KKM Magnetic Wireless Car Charger... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0978SDV87?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So basically any mount that places the phone on that area, either from above or from below, would be dangerous 😒
Could be. But by that kind of extension, just riding in your Jeep is dangerous and life threatening.

How about having your hands on that grab bar? It could break your arms. Yet it is designed as a grab bar.

Know your Jeep, how it works, and use your judgement. The fact they put a grab bar for your hands there gives an indication that the bag comes out over the top. But I've also seen the opening with a deflated air bag hanging out of it.

My personal opinion is that the cell charger pictured is low enough to be ok. But that's just me. Not advising anyone to put anything there. My Jeep has two mic hangers for CB and GMRS on the grab handle, but they don't stick more than a couple milimeters above the top of it. Knuckles on hands grabbing the bar would stick up more.