Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
All I want the cover for is to keep the dirt, mud, water, horse and cow shit out of the OBDll port..

I had an OBDll port damaged once..

That cover you linked to is an advertisement so to speak.... advertising that you have used a Tazer or other programmer or a tuner on the vehicle. I do not want that. Don't want dealer being told so to speak.... that I use a programmer....

Anyway, no way I would buy the one at your link. To each his/her own.
The port cover I link to was gifted to me by a family member who is the original owner of a cheater Jetta TDI. He uses one on that car, not to advertise a programmer that he's never actually used, but to proactively inform dealer service staff that he doesn't want the car's computer reflashed. He's using that particular cover at the advice of fellow VW diesel owners.

The No Flash cover can serve several purposes. Life is more than one thing at a time.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I’ve thought about removing the rear view mirror. It blocks way too much of my forward vision. Any hack for covering up the hole after removing it?
I removed the mirror as I could not see out the back with the big tire back there. I installed a USB port in its place to power the dash cam. The USB outlet was like $12 on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! 1627378948277

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
This hack is for when I'm traveling along and sleeping in the Jeep with my camping gear. I had a couple of pieces of plywood laying around, 24" x 48". I folded the rear seat and used one piece of plywood to level it out a little bit then added a folding mattress that I bought on Amazon and put my sleeping bag on top of that. Then I used the other piece of plywood to make a shelf in the back, actually built like a table. I cut notches in the ends of that piece of plywood to fit around the body at the bottom of the rear roll bar struts. I ripped some scraps of 2x4 lumber to 2x2 to make legs and screwed the plywood to the legs. On its own this type of thing would not be stable or have much lateral strength but with the shelf held in place by fitting between the 2 sides of the body the legs didn't have to do much. I screwed a small strip of wood on one edge of the shelf to keep things from sliding off during braking. I could put 2 of the small cardboard moving boxes on top of the shelf as well as my folding chairs and folding table, then that freed up space for my legs. The boxes stayed in place just fine when driving and I could leave enough space between them for the rear mirror to still work. Before my next trip I'm going to make a shelf more like the commercial ones where the shelf has extension arms that bear on top of the body sides where the hardtop bears, that would eliminate the legs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! IMG_4252b

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! IMG_4262b

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Bump to a terrific thread that may be overlooked but should not be....:like:
Completely agree! This is one of the best threads on this forum. (In my humble opinion.)

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

This hack is for when I'm traveling along and sleeping in the Jeep with my camping gear. I had a couple of pieces of plywood laying around, 24" x 48". I folded the rear seat and used one piece of plywood to level it out a little bit then added a folding mattress that I bought on Amazon and put my sleeping bag on top of that. Then I used the other piece of plywood to make a shelf in the back, actually built like a table. I cut notches in the ends of that piece of plywood to fit around the body at the bottom of the rear roll bar struts. I ripped some scraps of 2x4 lumber to 2x2 to make legs and screwed the plywood to the legs. On its own this type of thing would not be stable or have much lateral strength but with the shelf held in place by fitting between the 2 sides of the body the legs didn't have to do much. I screwed a small strip of wood on one edge of the shelf to keep things from sliding off during braking. I could put 2 of the small cardboard moving boxes on top of the shelf as well as my folding chairs and folding table, then that freed up space for my legs. The boxes stayed in place just fine when driving and I could leave enough space between them for the rear mirror to still work. Before my next trip I'm going to make a shelf more like the commercial ones where the shelf has extension arms that bear on top of the body sides where the hardtop bears, that would eliminate the legs.
CheaperJeeper.tv has a really great design for a sleeping platform that's *kinda* like this - built off a single sheet of plywood. It fits together to support itself - no hardware needed - and provides some storage underneath. You can also use it with/without the rear seat folded/removed. It's on my 2022 project list for sure. Your system looks like it works, but thought you'd be interested in a slight upgrade.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a recent cheap (and slightly embarrassing but functional) hack for stopping the water from dripping on your leg during rain storms when the door is open.

I used a very small piece of foam weather stripping at the front edge "just as a test" , but it actually worked!

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! 20220103_103945

No water dripping after adding this little piece. It also has stayed in place even after a long highway trip at 70+ speeds.

I may change it to something more appropriate if it ever falls off.

However, my wife is now very appreciative of this cheap hack.

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not my hack, got it over a year ago from someone's solution on the defroster issues thread. 1/4" holes drilled in a piece of aluminum stock. Works for me.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! 20201217_114041
Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! 20201217_114005
Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! 20201217_114051

Sponsored

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Not my hack, got it over a year ago from someone's solution on the defroster issues thread. 1/4" holes drilled in a piece of aluminum stock. Works for me.
Can you elaborate on the "defroster issues" for those of us who are unfamiliar?

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
Can you elaborate on the "defroster issues" for those of us who are unfamiliar?
My question exactly! I live in south Florida and never even attempted to turn on the defroster - Ha! What’s been the issue with it for those of you up north?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
RE: Defroster

The ductwork in the 2018+ JLs is such that most airflow is limited to the center of the windscreen. Little to no conditioned air exits on the outboard ends of the vents. The natural outcome of that is any fog and/or ice accumulation that's already present clears away very slowly, or sometimes not at all.

Owners like myself, who live where the defrost function actually means something, have developed several workarounds to redirect the defroster's airflow. These end caps are a popular solution that allows the driver to redirect (i.e., increase) the airflow on the L&R sides of the dash to the degree that he prefers.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
The ductwork in the 2018+ JLs is such that most airflow is limited to the center of the windscreen. Little to no conditioned air exits on the outboard ends of the vents. The natural outcome of that is any fog and/or ice accumulation that's already present clears away very slowly
In 20 months in north Texas and even with numerous trips to Colorado I think I've only had to use the defroster once and that was yesterday. Yes the air only blows in the center and it takes a little longer to clear because of that.

BUSHRVN

First Name
MONTE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRANGLER JLU SAHARA HIGH ALTITUDE 3.0
I really didn't like the large holes in the frame rails that are in the wheel wells and just behind the front wheel in the spray zone of the front wheel. I can only imagine the amount of salt, mud, dirt etc. that will collect and build up within the frame, like my 04 TJ had when I bought it a few years ago. So I cleaned up the frame and used some Eternabond RV roof tape that I have in my RV and I covered three of the larger holes on each frame rails to greatly reduce the accumulation of junk in the frame rails. This stuff sticks to anything and is extremely tuff and has many uses other than it's intended design purpose of RV roof repair.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! tempImageTXRfTC

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! tempImageWRtlB
Sponsored