Sponsored

Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
very nice, you should see those, I would take a set.
@Brew211

I am in awe, when I see the goodies these guys are printing at home with their 3D printers.. The floor plug, you pictured, is a good example.... really nice, really cool.

----
I bought a custom OBDll cover with a JL grill on it, that some guy printed on his 3D printer.. I installed it today ....... it is really slick as chitt..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/obdll-port-cover-obdll-port-protection.54022/

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! JL-Custom OBDll Cover

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dorman hack...

Do you ever look at the fuggly, two empty holes on your JL's spare ...... and say geeez, sure would like to put 2 lugs there... those empty holes look like chitt..

Well, all you need are 2 -Dorman 610-329 (M14-1.50) ($9.00 total for 2 Dorman's) Wheel Studs, 4 metal washers, 2 rubber garden hose washers and of course 2 matching lugnuts to what you already have.

Here is the process:

NO, do not glue the 2 lug nuts on!. Very dangerous.... could come off while driving!

Well, there is the easy way or the lets say more involved way. The more involved way involves drilling two additional holes in the tire carrier itself and then then using the 2 Dorman's in those two holes you drilled.

The less involved way, that many to include myself have used, is to.....

Take the spare off the back of the JL and actually bolt the Dorman's right on to the spare/wheel. Push the Dorman's through from the back of the wheel and then screw on the 2 additional lug nuts you have to the Dorman studs.

Of course, you have to pick the correct two holes on the spare to use. 8-)

When you install the two Dorman studs, onto the spare, use a rubber hose washer to tighten the lug nut down onto. A metal washer in there will not work for you. You can use a regular flat garden hose washer but a rounded one, a quality, all weather one, like in the pic below works better. You can tighten the lug right up on the rubber washer. This does not damage the wheel.

Now, when you go to put the spare back on the carrier you will need say 3 or four metal washers altogether on the wheel studs there, to compensate for the bit of Dorman that is now residing on the back of the spare.

Geeez, hard to explain, but so simple to do the less involved way. When you get into it you will see what I'm spewing and that is is easy easy to do and takes but minutes. Hardest part is lifting that friggin spare.

YES, when you go to use the spare, you will have to take the extra 2 minutes to remove those 2 lug nuts you secured to the spare when you do the less involved way of adding the 2 lugs.

Anyway, I chose the less involved way. I saw no reason to make a 10 minute easy deal into an hour job requiring measuring, drilling and such.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! wheel-

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! dorman

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! rubber washers

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Save my frigging back hack:

I can't lift up my spare by myself in order to mount it on the spare tire rack..

2. 17 gallon, $8.00 totes as seen in the pic below, are handy to have around and for sure they are great for storage...

AND.... they also make a terrific, easily moved, when a tire is on them, platform to help you get that spare in place/mounted.

Most old frucks, can even get say a 35-37" tire, up on the stacked totes... the top of the totes is sunken, 1.5" inch, so the spare will not easily roll off... then the old guy/ young guy catchs a breather lets say, and then can position the stacked totes with spare on top, into place, so they an do the rest of the mounting deed..

Oh, I should mention that the 17 gallon size totes pictured, fit just right in the back of a JL if you want to use them for gear storage..

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! totes

Tactician133

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2016 Ram 1500
I checked it out this weekend. It did pretty well in a light rain. It diverted most of the water to the ends of the seal at the hinges, with just a few water drops forming near the center. However, I’m not sure it will be able to handle a heavy rain. In that case a more pronounced seal may be needed to direct water to the edges.
Do you have a part number, weblink, or store that you picked this seal up at? Thanks!!

Sponsored

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Do you have a part number, weblink, or store that you picked this seal up at? Thanks!!
Unfortunately no. My wife picked it up at a local glass shop. I expect that there are other shapes available that might be more appropriate, but the problem is finding them.

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
@Brew211

I am in awe, when I see the goodies these guys are printing at home with their 3D printers.. The floor plug, you pictured, is a good example.... really nice, really cool.

----
I bought a custom OBDll cover with a JL grill on it, that some guy printed on his 3D printer.. I installed it today ....... it is really slick as chitt..
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/obdll-port-cover-obdll-port-protection.54022/

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! totes
i need to make,design an print one of these - iv been working so much i forget to check this thread

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
a few of the things iv made so far - floor plugs , obd2 cover, key chains,
big flexible tpu plug for the frame hole in the front , and iv made tire spacers for the rear carrier but dont have a photo on hand - thanks every1 for the ideas that i could use and make myself !!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! IMG_0479
Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! IMG-1738.JPG

1.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpg

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I want someone to make floor plugs for the all season floor mats that makes the mat have solid contact with the floor pan opening so water can’t splash up into that gap and under the carpet.

Scott

Sponsored

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
I want someone to make floor plugs for the all season floor mats that makes the mat have solid contact with the floor pan opening so water can’t splash up into that gap and under the carpet.

Scott
the plugs i made are long and go all the way down through the mat ,and also expand the mat a little , mind u its not water tight but they have never let water in driving around, im sure it will leak if i run across a water crossing , but at that point , i would worry more about other areas leaking

if u have an idea , draw it up and ill see if i can add to what i made to make it better or 2 parts that connect on each end

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

LowCountry

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet Sport
Heres something that I did awhile back but after rediscovering this thread, I think might be worthy.
With everything Jeep specific being so expensive and the rarity of 2dr accessories I rigged up some cheap backseat storage.

I found some inexpensive tool pouches designed with a belt loop. I liked the size of these and the fact they matched well and didnt have any gaudy logos. I think they were less than $10 ea. at the home improvement store

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! IMG_20201005_180243801

Cut the stitches out in the back so you can open the loop out flat, then poke/drill a hole in the flap

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! IMG_20201005_180324437

These were perfect to hang in the backseat to give my a kids a little bit of storage for small things yet its still big enough to hold tablets and portable games or water bottles or books. Only downside ive discovered is that they do sometimes flap around when topless if they catch a crosswind so I usually only use them when I have the top on, besides since they're open top anything inside wouldn't be secured anyway. Heres a couple more pics

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! IMG_20201005_180452663

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! IMG_20201005_180632188

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
so yeah after watching this thread i went and re printed the front frame plugs with a slight change to make them tighter and look better / the old pix are in here somewhere - but heres the new print ---- plug is near the 2 bolts if u didnt know -----
-- i also looked at the rear frame hole and will make one for that soon as well and upload pix when finished - im maken an rc F1 car now so the plug is on hold lol all my machines are getting used to make that thing lolol
Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! image02

and a fast sketch of the rear plug needed to make

just to keep snow rocks mud and as much junk out of as possible
Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here! IMG_0551

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase