Cheap Jeep Hacks! Show 'Em Off Here!

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
This hack can save you money or at least a lot of aggravation...

Regarding the JL being "water resistant" and such.... :facepalm:

Years ago with one of my JK's, I was out in the mud and got back in the Jeep and got mud all up into the OBDll port. What a mess to deal with. It's just so easy to splash / get mud into it if you tend to get out in the yuck and then jump back in and...

Anyway, since then I buy and place a General Motors, OBDll cover over the OBDll port. Yes, it fits the JL's OBDll port perfectly.

I take a 6" piece of fishing line and tie one end to the cap and the other end up above and slightly behind the OBDll port itself to a cable there. I do this so when I or a Tech remove the cap that it just dangles there until I or they put it back on the OBDll port. Thus it does not get lost.

With the cap, the OBDll port is protected.... from snow, mud, water, horse shit, etc., that might head up the OBDll ports way.

For $10.00+- , the cap is a good investment. I know getting the mud issue in the OBDll port, remedied, years ago cost me way way more the that.

Real cool custom OBDll cover with JL grill on it..

JL-Custom OBDll Cover.jpg

il_1140xN.2533043381_cdkf.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/844123...wgrille-black-or?ref=shop_home_active_3&frs=1

Picture cap of below. Can be found on eBAY, etc..

Plastic Cover for OBDll Diagnostic Connector GM12146933

71SCorQNVFL._SL1500_.jpg

Just saw that an Amazon vendor is selling the Plastic Cover for OBDll Diagnostic Connector for about $6.99 with free Prime shipping..

Cheap insurance!

https://www.amazon.com/APTIV-Vehicl...d=1&keywords=obd2+cover&qid=1627217214&sr=8-1
666.jpg
Advertisement

elf883

First Name
steven
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl
Occupation
stationary engineer

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
@Heimkehr

All I want the cover for is to keep the dirt, mud, water, horse and cow shit out of the OBDll port..

I had an OBDll port damaged once..

That cover you linked to is an advertisement so to speak.... advertising that you have used a Tazer or other programmer or a tuner on the vehicle. I do not want that. Don't want dealer being told so to speak.... that I use a programmer....

Anyway, no way I would buy the one at your link. To each his/her own.

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
Done ! Thank you !
@four low

I gather that means you ordered one... 8-)

Be sure to make a tether for it with a piece of fishing line. See my earlier mention of the fishing line... otherwise you or a Tech working on your JL will remove, lay it down and lose it probably... If tethered, you can remove and drop and it just hangs there.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unencumbered
All I want the cover for is to keep the dirt, mud, water, horse and cow shit out of the OBDll port..

I had an OBDll port damaged once..

That cover you linked to is an advertisement so to speak.... advertising that you have used a Tazer or other programmer or a tuner on the vehicle. I do not want that. Don't want dealer being told so to speak.... that I use a programmer....

Anyway, no way I would buy the one at your link. To each his/her own.
The port cover I link to was gifted to me by a family member who is the original owner of a cheater Jetta TDI. He uses one on that car, not to advertise a programmer that he's never actually used, but to proactively inform dealer service staff that he doesn't want the car's computer reflashed. He's using that particular cover at the advice of fellow VW diesel owners.

The No Flash cover can serve several purposes. Life is more than one thing at a time.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I’ve thought about removing the rear view mirror. It blocks way too much of my forward vision. Any hack for covering up the hole after removing it?
I removed the mirror as I could not see out the back with the big tire back there. I installed a USB port in its place to power the dash cam. The USB outlet was like $12 on Amazon.

1627378948277.png

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
Bump ...In hopes that new JL/JLU owner's here.... that have not read through this thread.... do take the time to do so....

So many good ideas/hacks in the thread that will cost you little to nothing to do....

Advertisement

Tri-City Jeep

Advertisement