Cheap fridge/freezer on websites??

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
I started seeing cheap (like $150 to $250) fridge/freezers. Usually they are super expensive, and for no more than I camp would be excessive.
Any experience with the cheap ones? A little easier to stomach the price!
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I started seeing cheap (like $150 to $250) fridge/freezers. Usually they are super expensive, and for no more than I camp would be excessive.
Any experience with the cheap ones? A little easier to stomach the price!
Yep! I've got an Alpicool from Amazon and I think I paid under $200. It does well. It is a 20 quart or 20 Liter, whichever they use. Anyway, it can get super cold. It uses more energy than my larger and more expensive Snomaster, but it is reliable and anything cold tastes the same from either fridge. It has less effective insulation and a much less efficient Chinese compressor, but I rectified some of that with some 1/4" stick-on foam insulation I bought from Amazon. That helped it a lot.

I'll post a pic or two later, when I'm on my home computer.

OP
OP
Ksvette

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
Yep! I've got an Alpicool from Amazon and I think I paid under $200. It does well. It is a 20 quart or 20 Liter, whichever they use. Anyway, it can get super cold. It uses more energy than my larger and more expensive Snomaster, but it is reliable and anything cold tastes the same from either fridge. It has less effective insulation and a much less efficient Chinese compressor, but I rectified some of that with some 1/4" stick-on foam insulation I bought from Amazon. That helped it a lot.

I'll post a pic or two later, when I'm on my home computer.
Don't forget that pic! Really curious as could upgrade/simplify my camping and tailgating setup.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't forget that pic! Really curious as could upgrade/simplify my camping and tailgating setup.
Sorry! Here you go!

New and unmodified....
umMX3Is.jpg

With 1/4" insulation and a stick on handle for strapping down. The handle needs more strength, though, so I'm going to epoxy something better on it. Then I can put a couple bungee cords or even a bike lock on it to keep it from walking off.
vhZqq5t.jpg

I did not mention that while it really isn't noisy, it does have a little more noise than the Snomaster.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's one that will give you an idea of how much it can hold. You can stack cans 2 deep.

KlVOhPb.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ksvette

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
Here's one that will give you an idea of how much it can hold. You can stack cans 2 deep.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap fridge/freezer on websites?? KlVOhPb
Awesome, ty!!! Looks like might have to take the leap!

InMyImage

First Name
Bill & Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU

Jeep Wrangler JL Cheap fridge/freezer on websites?? KlVOhPb
Does it also work as a freezer? We just started RV’ing full-time and have been thinking about one of these for long distance grocery runs

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the exact same alpicool unit. Road trips and wheeling it comes along. Only had it about a year but it has been good enough so far.

I’m not one to cheap out on stuff, but since I don’t overland, and really the car is on the whole time I use it, the lower efficiency of a cheaper model hasn’t been a problem for me.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does it also work as a freezer? We just started RV’ing full-time and have been thinking about one of these for long distance grocery runs
Yes. It can get below zero, supposedly, but I haven't gone below 33 degrees. I'm pretty confident it'll do it.
Sponsored