Sponsored

Cheap ESS battery quick disconnect & applying TSB 18-092-19 for failed ESS battery

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Thank you for the effort... I forgot to mention I am leaning toward two q-cell 380 as another charging source via the victor on dc to dc inverter-pv manager. Thus the loads to the alternater would be reduced. Besides the mopar-warn winch does more harm to the stock agm batteries, than anything else.
Sponsored

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
Thought I would share a cheap/quick mod I've added for peace of mind. I've already had to replace (under warranty) one bad ESS battery that started to drain my main battery before it was replaced.

I know there are other more complicated/expensive options available which include voltage sensors and high Amp relays. This mod is $7 and 5 minutes. It allows the quick disconnect of the ESS battery ground without tools.

20201031_091412.jpg

If the ESS battery becomes a problem again, just a quick turn of the knob and it's isolated. I also have a fused N1/N2 jumper if I don't want to see the P00FD error code (and "circle A" error on dash).

The other fused line you see across the main battery is not related and just my battery tender connection.

Note: I recently had my PCM updated on TSB 18-092-19 which resolves a number of issues including the way the JL handles a failed ESS battery. EDIT - Make sure that you have a fused jumper on N1 & N2 if you don't have the latest PCM update. Otherwise the jeep won't start with the ESS battery disconnected!

Hope this helps others!
Can you help me tieTSB 18-092-19 to the update that allows the car to start even with a low voltage AUX battery? There is nothing in the text of the TSB that mentions this or suggests that it fixes that issue. Is there some more detailed information about the flash update that specifically mentions the programming update to allow the Aux battery to fail the voltage test on the second try without stopping a start? I am trying to explain to my Jeep Service Coordinator that we need to apply TSB 18-092-19 so that I don't get stranded again with a dead battery and no way to jump. In addition to the rolling of the eyes ... I'm being told that they replaced both batteries and that's all there is to it. I was told I should be thankful they squeezed me in. OK. In talking with the service coordinator after, I learned that nothing else was done. Just battery replacement. No flash. I know the shop is really backed up, so I am actually grateful that they got me running again. However, I overland and can get 20+miles away from pavement or more on infrequently traveled trails. The thought that I cannot get a jump or use my emergency jump battery to get going again is horrifying. Can you or anyone on the forum point me in the direction of some FCA literature, Jeep Cares email, a service invoice or some other documentation which actually mentioned reprogramming that remedies a failed AUX battery test? Any help or guidance you can offer would be very much appreciated. Right now, I'm just sitting here knowing this is going to happen again, probably out of warranty, unless I get the flash, which they have told me they will not do unless my VIN # is 'on the list'. Thank you.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Can you help me tieTSB 18-092-19 to the update that allows the car to start even with a low voltage AUX battery? There is nothing in the text of the TSB that mentions this or suggests that it fixes that issue. Is there some more detailed information about the flash update that specifically mentions the programming update to allow the Aux battery to fail the voltage test on the second try without stopping a start? I am trying to explain to my Jeep Service Coordinator that we need to apply TSB 18-092-19 so that I don't get stranded again with a dead battery and no way to jump. In addition to the rolling of the eyes ... I'm being told that they replaced both batteries and that's all there is to it. I was told I should be thankful they squeezed me in. OK. In talking with the service coordinator after, I learned that nothing else was done. Just battery replacement. No flash. I know the shop is really backed up, so I am actually grateful that they got me running again. However, I overland and can get 20+miles away from pavement or more on infrequently traveled trails. The thought that I cannot get a jump or use my emergency jump battery to get going again is horrifying. Can you or anyone on the forum point me in the direction of some FCA literature, Jeep Cares email, a service invoice or some other documentation which actually mentioned reprogramming that remedies a failed AUX battery test? Any help or guidance you can offer would be very much appreciated. Right now, I'm just sitting here knowing this is going to happen again, probably out of warranty, unless I get the flash, which they have told me they will not do unless my VIN # is 'on the list'. Thank you.
@69 ORIGINAL

Read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...flash-my-2018-wrangler-pcm.66199/post-1401777

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Can you help me tieTSB 18-092-19
Make an appt for “a/c fan sounds like a rocket ship taking off! Please apply TSB.”

It really is that simple. If you get push back, your dealership sucks. Go to a different one.

OP
OP
Htfan

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Make an appt for “a/c fan sounds like a rocket ship taking off! Please apply TSB.”

It really is that simple. If you get push back, your dealership sucks. Go to a different one.
Yes! This is same thing I reported to the dealership to get the TSB applied.

Jeepneck

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepnecks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
Occupation
Real Estate Professional
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018 and this happened to me about a year after purchase. I upgraded the aux battery, but I also uninstalled the hood open sensor near the radiator, because I don't like to use the ESS period. So can I bypass the aux battery all together since the sensor is not installed?

Here's a link to do the same thing if anyone is interested.

Uninstall Hood Open Sensor to Disable ESS
Sponsored