JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Until I can get my Jeep in the garage, it’s on the driveway and I charge it every night. What happens if they call for rain? Should I unplug it or is it designed to stay plugged in during rain?
Sponsored

manuka

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR (on order), 2017 Chevy Volt
Until I can get my Jeep in the garage, it’s on the driveway and I charge it every night. What happens if they call for rain? Should I unplug it or is it designed to stay plugged in during rain?
No problem to charge in the rain. No problem to plug or unplug in the rain. The power only flows AFTER the data lines in the connector 'talk' and agree on power levels. No risk of shock unless you have a damaged cable or connector.

OP
OP
JollieOllie

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No problem to charge in the rain. No problem to plug or unplug in the rain. The power only flows AFTER the data lines in the connector 'talk' and agree on power levels. No risk of shock unless you have a damaged cable or connector.
Thanks Manuka.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Agree. Both my plug in vehicles charge outside. (Just not comfortable charging in my garage just yet....). Never had any issue with rain while connecting or disconnecting.

Jeep#6

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4xe HYDRO; 24 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales in a Jeep
Similar question… what about random 110 outlets that may or may not be grounded. Any experience or information? I have an opportunity to charge at a parking lot with 110 but not sure of latest 🧐

Sponsored

no.sleep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Billet Silver JLUR 4xe
Similar question… what about random 110 outlets that may or may not be grounded. Any experience or information? I have an opportunity to charge at a parking lot with 110 but not sure of latest 🧐
I've been charging outside at work in the parking lot with 110 using the included L1 charger. Usually I place a bag over the charger brick and plug so it doesn't get wet (just the brick side, the J1772 seems to have some o-rings around the conductors to seal from rain). I have not had any issues doing this so far.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Old post, I know, but based on my past experience, the level 1 charger is very sensitive and won't function without a ground or even with reverse polarity. Mine has shut down in heavy rain, but no damage. Just let everything dry out and it's good to go again.

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
charged mine many times sitting in the driveway with rain overnight - no issues. Only charging problem I had was I tried using an extension cord - makes the outlet get very warm and the charger goes into an even further reduced charging mode.

Very happy now to have garage space for the Jeep and a L2 charger!

Lee Woiteshek

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
charged mine many times sitting in the driveway with rain overnight - no issues. Only charging problem I had was I tried using an extension cord - makes the outlet get very warm and the charger goes into an even further reduced charging mode.

Very happy now to have garage space for the Jeep and a L2 charger!
There is a Youtube Jeep mechanic named Brandon Hanline. He addresses this concern with his personal 4xe. I don't know how to post it here but it is a video you need to watch.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JollieOllie

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Agree. Both my plug in vehicles charge outside. (Just not comfortable charging in my garage just yet....). Never had any issue with rain while connecting or disconnecting.
Why are you not comfortable charging in the garage? Never heard anyone say that.