Charging the 4xe in Europe....?

Zacreth

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gecko 4xe
So I was contemplating of sending my 4xe to Greece as a summer car there. Does anyone know offhand if the 4xe can handle the 220v and is there a European wall plug that has the 1772 end? I've seen some new plug in hybrids vehicles in Europe and they have a different connector to the car.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, of course it handles 220V - even in the US, that's Level 2 charging - mine's sucking that down right now.

Your question might better be does it handle the 50Hz AC frequency? And yes, it does.

The only Wrangler sold in Europe is the 4xe, and as far as hybrid system goes, the only difference is the inlet port on the Jeep. The J1772 connector we use here is not used in Europe. In Europe they use the IEC 62196-2 Type 2 "Mennekes" connector.

You would need a different charging cord set, adapter, or to replace your inlet connector on the Jeep with the European part.

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
By the way, 3-phase AC wiring and chargers are common in europe, which is why they use that Type 2 connector which has more pins. However, the Jeep only has a 7KW single-phase charger. You do not need a 3 phase or 22KW EVSE.

OP
OP
Zacreth

Zacreth

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gecko 4xe
By the way, 3-phase AC wiring and chargers are common in europe, which is why they use that Type 2 connector which has more pins. However, the Jeep only has a 7KW single-phase charger. You do not need a 3 phase or 22KW EVSE.
So i should be able to buy a charger from the local Jeep dealership and they should have a 1772 end right? The other end would be local to the country I'm buying it from which is a 2 prong circular plug.

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
No, probably not from Jeep. They would only support the Type 2 plug.

This sort of adapter would take an existing european charger and allow it to plug into the Jeep:

https://www.evseadapters.com/products/european-to-us-type-2-iec-mennekes-to-type-1-j1772-ev-adapter/

*I have no experience doing this, and it is possible that it will not work due to software or other communication issues*

there are software configuration parameters in the Jeep's computers that identify the country/region it is sold in. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those parameters restricts 50 Hz charging or communication with type 2 chargers. It can't really be tested here, either.

Before I spent the money to ship the vehicle and expect it to charge in europe, I would contact a Jeep service technician. At the worst case, if it didn't work, you'd still have gasoline. But at that point, why not just rent a Jeep locally?

Sponsored

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
4xe's sold in Japan need to support both 50 and 60 Hz. It's less complicated because they also use the J1772 connector that we use. This is one example that indicates the Jeep hardware can do it.

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Independent strategy advisor
Interested in hearing if you ever figure this out OP - I’m in the US but with a high chance of moving to Europe in the next few years. Would love to take my 4xe with me!

OP
OP
Zacreth

Zacreth

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gecko 4xe
No, probably not from Jeep. They would only support the Type 2 plug.

This sort of adapter would take an existing european charger and allow it to plug into the Jeep:

https://www.evseadapters.com/products/european-to-us-type-2-iec-mennekes-to-type-1-j1772-ev-adapter/

*I have no experience doing this, and it is possible that it will not work due to software or other communication issues*

there are software configuration parameters in the Jeep's computers that identify the country/region it is sold in. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those parameters restricts 50 Hz charging or communication with type 2 chargers. It can't really be tested here, either.

Before I spent the money to ship the vehicle and expect it to charge in europe, I would contact a Jeep service technician. At the worst case, if it didn't work, you'd still have gasoline. But at that point, why not just rent a Jeep locally?
Interesting, thanks for the link to the converter. I would assume Jeep would sell their standard cable in a different region with the local power connections. They sell the 4xe in Greece but it starts at $93k after the 24% tax on all vehicles....lol.

But as for contacting a technical locally, that would be futile since they barely know what the vehicles here need to work. They are always contacting Chrysler Headquarters on what to do next in troubleshooting steps...lol

OP
OP
Zacreth

Zacreth

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gecko 4xe
Interested in hearing if you ever figure this out OP - I’m in the US but with a high chance of moving to Europe in the next few years. Would love to take my 4xe with me!
Yea I'm in the same boat and have a high chance of either moving there is fall or next year but plans are still in the air as to what is going to happen. But if I do move I will definitely taking my 4xe with me.

OP
OP
Zacreth

Zacreth

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gecko 4xe
4xe's sold in Japan need to support both 50 and 60 Hz. It's less complicated because they also use the J1772 connector that we use. This is one example that indicates the Jeep hardware can do it.
Sorry it's early in the morning and I must not be fully awake. Thank you for the link to the adapter since a cable from Jeep wouldn't work since the end wouldn't be J-1772...lol

I'll check the adapter out and it seems they have the tesla adapter that I was looking at earlier since there's a few tesla only chargers around me.

Sponsored

finn1969

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4Xe
I bought a US Spec 4xe in Texas and moved to Germany for work. I bought a 22v charger and adapter as others have said off German Amazon. I think between the adapter and power cable combo it was 600euro. I charge from home and I can charge at local charging stations with my adapter.

It is 220v w/ 50mhz here and haven't had any issues. I even got the ZB7 recall flash completed at a local dealer. No problem with the 4xe here in europe.
Jeep Wrangler JL Charging the 4xe in Europe....? Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 18.56.11

Jeep Wrangler JL Charging the 4xe in Europe....? Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 18.56.40

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a US Spec 4xe in Texas and moved to Germany for work. I bought a 22v charger and adapter as others have said off German Amazon. I think between the adapter and power cable combo it was 600euro. I charge from home and I can charge at local charging stations with my adapter.

It is 220v w/ 50mhz here and haven't had any issues. I even got the ZB7 recall flash completed at a local dealer. No problem with the 4xe here in europe.
Thanks for confirming! Have you looked into getting the inlet port of you 4xe swapped to the Type 2 eu one?

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
Also, have you had to do any other modifications, like install the side view mirrors with the turn signals? I've seen they don't like aftermarket bumpers.

finn1969

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4Xe
Thanks for confirming! Have you looked into getting the inlet port of you 4xe swapped to the Type 2 eu one?
I have not since I plan on taking it back after this tour. If I were staying here or wanted to sell to a Euro person, definately and option. I have never tried charging at a Tesla station as I don't have that adapter and I watched a bunch of YouTube videos where people couldn't get it to work for the 4xe.

I just charge at home mostly.

finn1969

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4Xe
Also, have you had to do any other modifications, like install the side view mirrors with the turn signals? I've seen they don't like aftermarket bumpers.
No I haven't seen that. I registered the vehicle with the US military over here so US spec cars are fine. I believe the differences is the side marker (covers or bulbs) and potentially the glass. I am really not certain about that. This biggest stickler for US/EURO registrations has always been the VIN. Since they use different prefixes it doesn't show up in their databases and vice versa. I would check the Greek systems for compatability.
Sponsored