Charging Main and Aux Battery

Villpa1

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler JLU sport
2.0L Turbo sport. Battery died as I did not cycle my tazer and it killed my battery. I installed a Noco 2D battery maintainer/trickle charger as I drive once every other week.

the question: when I have the charger plugged in, is it charging the main and aux battery at the same time? I’ve had it plugged in for a few and it is still below 75%? The Noco is supposed to tell me when and if the battery is bad. Anyone have any experience with this charger or brand?
Sponsored

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
when I have the charger plugged in, is it charging the main and aux battery at the same time? I’ve had it plugged in for a few and it is still below 75%? The Noco is supposed to tell me when and if the battery is bad. Anyone have any experience with this charger or brand?
If the batteries are both "ok", it would charge both.
However, as many others have said in the reviews of these little trickle maintainers, they aren't true battery chargers.
Best thing you can do is use a REAL battery charger of 10 amp capacity or better, and truly charge each battery, reset the IBS, and then use your trickle charger to keep 'em topped off.

A real charger for AGM batteries will take a battery through all phases or stages of charging.

IMO (from an auto-electric experience over decades) -
Pull the negative cables off the top of the IBS.
Take the IBS off the negative cable of the main battery.
Charge the main battery (+ from charger to + cable clamp on the main battery, - of charger to the negative post on the main battery)

Take the two negative cables apart so you can connect only to the cable going to the aux battery.

Once that is done successfully, move the negative clamp from the main battery to the cable going to the aux battery. Leave the positive charger clamp on the main battery cable.
Charge the aux battery.

Of the two negative cables that goes to the negative of the main battery, one goes to the fender body/chassis ground, the other goes to the aux battery negative post.
On a 2020 model year, the top of the two ground cables is the one that goes to the aux battery. The other cable that goes onto the IBS first is the chassis ground cable.
They are switches starting 2021 model year (and later)

Put it all back together if both battery charge properly this way.
Now, if they are ok, the maintainer will or should keep them up.
Very possible that being a 2020, one or both batteries are going south...........

In this picture, I am charging the aux battery on a 2020 Jeep. On a 2021 or later, the two black cables are switches around and the one with the larger end with the stud is the one that goes to the aux battery.

Jeep Wrangler JL Charging Main and Aux Battery 1679281304239

Taking the IBS off resets it to factory, erases the data.

Otherwise, in the future, ALWAYS charge by connecting the negative charger connection to the top of the IBS and not the battery directly.

Jeep Wrangler JL Charging Main and Aux Battery 20220329_093912

OP
OP

Villpa1

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler JLU sport
Wow thank you for such a detailed response. Do you recommend a particular 10a charger?

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Wow thank you for such a detailed response. Do you recommend a particular 10a charger?
I really like the Noco Genius GenPro 10x1

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
" Taking the IBS off resets it to factory, erases the data. "

What is the data? Does connecting the IBS to both fully charged batteries set the IBS to know their individual charges once reconnected, and therefore know when either or both are fully charged? The OP mentioned a 75% stopping point in the charging. Was that caused by the IBS using 'old' data? Thanks for your great explanation. Just trying to more fully understand the IBS role in a two-battery trickle charge setup.

In Aug 2022, I reconfigured my battery arrangement as follows:

1. Removed Aux battery.
2. Routed Aux Pos to Main Pos.
3. Taped off Aux Neg cable.
4. Attached trickle charger to Main Pos post and to Main Neg post (Not IBS).

The trickle charge appears to repeatedly and successfully charge the Main.
The ESS system operates as usual but I mostly turn it off.
Battery gauge readings in dash behave normally.

I do not see any battery/vehicle injury by excluding the IBS from the trickle charge. The IBS continues to participate in Alternator charging.

I would appreciate your opinion on my setup. Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited: