Charging Issues

Woolf

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My 2020 wrangler unlimited rubicon started giving me a warning today concerning the charging system. The icons on the dashes were a red battery on the left and start/stop malfunction on the right. I realize that the start/stop system will not work if the battery is low. The voltage started off in the 13 volt range after it happened, then after I turned it off and was driving around town it would stay in the 12-low 13 range. The message I received was “Your vehicle's Charging System Warning Light recently indicated there may be a problem with the electrical charging system. Have your vehicle serviced at your dealership immediately.” So far I have not had any issues with starting the engine which leads me to believe that the auxiliary battery is fine and that the issue might be the main battery or alternator. Am I right with this assumption and has anyone else experienced this issue?
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
My 2020 wrangler unlimited rubicon started giving me a warning today concerning the charging system. The icons on the dashes were a red battery on the left and start/stop malfunction on the right. I realize that the start/stop system will not work if the battery is low. The voltage started off in the 13 volt range after it happened, then after I turned it off and was driving around town it would stay in the 12-low 13 range. The message I received was “Your vehicle's Charging System Warning Light recently indicated there may be a problem with the electrical charging system. Have your vehicle serviced at your dealership immediately.” So far I have not had any issues with starting the engine which leads me to believe that the auxiliary battery is fine and that the issue might be the main battery or alternator. Am I right with this assumption and has anyone else experienced this issue?
There are a number of things that could be going on. However, the small Aux battery for ESS is a common culprit. You can test each battery separately to get more information before you take it to the dealer.

This picture below is from a ESS bypass thread showing how to isolate the Aux battery separately from the main for testing. The ground cable removed from the right side of the battery is the Aux battery ground.

Jeep Wrangler JL Charging Issues bypass installed

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Let the dealer sort it out.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Let the dealer sort it out.
True, however we can consider these things an opportunity to learn more about our jeeps. It takes about 10 minutes to complete the process of battery isolation and testing. Then you can bring it to the dealership to get the job done under warranty.

To each his own as people say.
Sponsored