First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Plumbing, HVAC, Electrical
I have a AAL rear aux battery setup going to a switch bank and the arb dual compressor. Maybe I’m over thinking this but just seeing if it’s possible or not. Right now the Aux battery is hooked up with the AAL 12v plug that plugs in the rear 12v outlet to keep it charged. Is it possible or would it make any sense to hook up one of the AUX switches to this battery so I can turn it on to charge it but still be able to have it off so it doesn’t run down my main battery if the Jeeps turned off. Sorry if this is nuts and completely crazy.
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Not crazy at all. I do think that would work, and it's pretty easy to run the wiring for it. Go for it!

OP
OP
runeglfbrg

runeglfbrg

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Plumbing, HVAC, Electrical
Not crazy at all. I do think that would work, and it's pretty easy to run the wiring for it. Go for it!

Thanks. I had this plan because I have a wire ran back there already that I had to power a compressor under the Jeep. So rather than to take all the wire out I can just sneak it up inside and to that new battery.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I have a AAL rear aux battery setup going to a switch bank and the arb dual compressor. Maybe I’m over thinking this but just seeing if it’s possible or not. Right now the Aux battery is hooked up with the AAL 12v plug that plugs in the rear 12v outlet to keep it charged. Is it possible or would it make any sense to hook up one of the AUX switches to this battery so I can turn it on to charge it but still be able to have it off so it doesn’t run down my main battery if the Jeeps turned off. Sorry if this is nuts and completely crazy.
Hey John:

I may be a tad off in your goal, but is it that you want the AAL rear aux battery to only charge when the rig is on?

If so I have two suggestions. The first is to buy a long 12V cigarette adapter extension cord and plug its male end into the front console's cigarette adapter, running the cord under the seats to the rear. This outlet is an "accessory type" (as opposed to a "battery type") one...in other words it's only energized when the rig is on.

The second approach involves switching the cargo area's 12V cigarette adapter outlet from its "battery" (always energized whether the rig is on or off) factory setting to the "accessory" setting by moving fuse F81 to F91 consistent with page 178 of the linked JL Owner's Manual here:

https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core...ications/en-us/Jeep/2018/Wrangler_JL/9510.pdf

There are other solutions if you want the battery charged when the rig is off but only to the extent it brings your factory rig's batteries to a voltage threshold--both homemade and purchased.

As to the latter, the first thing that comes to mind is the Genesis Offroad Dual Battery Kit which has such voltage monitoring features available. It is not cheap, plus you have to buy two all new car batteries for it, and it involves some, but not extremely complicated installation. I'd only suggest this route if the product's features also solve other needs you may be having.

http://www.genesisoffroad.com/2018-2020-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Dual-Battery-Kit_p_57.html
Sponsored