Charging Amperage/Speed of various USB ports

mclaugh

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLU Moab
Tried searching the forums as well as reading the manual, can't seem to find this answer in either location. When you consider charging with the following ports:
  • USB A, C under 'media' cover
  • USB A in center console
  • USB A, C rear driver side (charge & airplay)
  • USB A, C rear passenger side (charge only)
Are any of these ports rated faster (higher amperage) than the others? Personally, I prefer to keep the media panel door closed, so I use the center console USB- though I'd change if certain ports are rated higher than others.
In the manual, I found the PDC (Power Distribution Center) has some fuse information related to USB, but did not see a breakdown by port- can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Jurassic23

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Tried searching the forums as well as reading the manual, can't seem to find this answer in either location. When you consider charging with the following ports:
  • USB A, C under 'media' cover
  • USB A in center console
  • USB A, C rear driver side (charge & airplay)
  • USB A, C rear passenger side (charge only)
Are any of these ports rated faster (higher amperage) than the others? Personally, I prefer to keep the media panel door closed, so I use the center console USB- though I'd change if certain ports are rated higher than others.
In the manual, I found the PDC (Power Distribution Center) has some fuse information related to USB, but did not see a breakdown by port- can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
I haven't tried it yet, but I have an app on my phone called CPU X (android user) that has a tool to display real-time current draw (labeled under the battery tab called "Current Meter") to and from the battery, almost like an ammeter. Essentially what you could do is connect your phone to each usb port and write down each Amp reading (give it like 10-20 seconds to stabilize) in mA the usb is outputting. The higher the mA, the quicker the charging. Hope this helps!

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
You actually almost answered yr own question. USB c ports charge at 20 volts vs 5 from standard USB a ports. @ 100 watts

OP
OP
mclaugh

mclaugh

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLU Moab
You actually almost answered yr own question. USB c ports charge at 20 volts vs 5 from standard USB a ports. @ 100 watts
I didn't want to assume that, was hoping for documentation (that I'd missed in the manual or similar) which verified. If you're correct, it would be foolish NOT to upgrade to reliable "C" cables, as long as your device can support charging at a faster speed.........

TratzPatratz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JLUR
I didn't want to assume that, was hoping for documentation (that I'd missed in the manual or similar) which verified. If you're correct, it would be foolish NOT to upgrade to reliable "C" cables, as long as your device can support charging at a faster speed.........
Sorry to bump this old thread but I'm on the fence myself.
I prefer slower charging TBH. I currently use a Pixel 5 and I charge that up overnight using an old school blackberry charger that puts out 750mah.

in terms of battery longevity, the slower the charge the better.
What did you end up going with for yourself?

Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
USB c can support 20 volts, but does not on a 12v vehicle. The most it will provide is 12v. I would bet it's only supplying 5v.

Baconator

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
Re the media door, I picked up a right angle USB-C and it works great (brand I got was UGREEN after an Anker one didn't work). It only props the media door maybe 20 degrees, so less of an eyesore.

RenegadeJeeper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stingray JLU sport
Plugged my usb a phone anker charger and stated 7 hours to charge. Any others have issues with this?
Sponsored