Sponsored

Chargepoint HomeFlex Level 2 Charger for the 4XE

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Figured I'd share my initial impressions of the Chargepoint Homeflex Level 2 Charger with the 4XE: So far, it's awesome.

I know there's a plethora of EV chargers to choose from these days and I was questioning whether or not it was worth buying a Level 2 charger. However, the way the industry is moving towards EVs/PHEVs, this was more of a future proof purchase and to take advantage of the Federal and Local EV rebates related to the cost of the charger and installation costs. Plus I totally dig driving around in all-electric mode and don't want to wait 12-13 hours to recharge.

FWIW, this is the same charger our electric company uses at their free EV charging locations. Given how cold and snowy it gets here during the winter, that gave me confidence to pay extra vs the cheaper off-brands being sold online.

Pros:
  1. The 4XE recognized it immediately
  2. The build quality is solid and beautifully designed
  3. Clean install
  4. WIFI connects flawlessly
  5. The app is fantastic! Tons of features, to include determining on/off peak hours and showing your charge costs based on your electric company's rates
  6. Amperage is set within the app
  7. Has the ability to be hardwired
  8. Compact size vs others (i.e. Clipper Creek was huge)
  9. The cable is well made, but not too stiff
  10. Cable management
  11. Built-in plug holder
  12. Bright light indicator
  13. 3 year warranty
  14. Super-fast charging times vs the provided Level 1 charger
Con:
  1. I wish the cable was longer (i.e. 22ft vs 25ft).
  2. Higher price than others (i.e. Grizzl-e)

Conclusion:
For those looking at level 2 chargers, I'd recommend considering a Chargepoint Homeflex, especially if your electric company provides added incentives to negate the higher cost.

I'll update if anything changes.

Jeep Wrangler JL Chargepoint HomeFlex Level 2 Charger for the 4XE Chargepoint - Copy
Sponsored

Last edited:

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Nice. I’ve been back and forth between the ChargePoint and the Clipper Creek. I’ve used both at public charging stations and they are both well built. I guess it’ll come down to pricing when I eventually do pull the trigger.

Did you already have a 240 volt outlet or did you have to have one installed? If so, which plug type did you go with? I would need one installed and I still need to research it, but I’d rather have the one that can plug in at RV campgrounds to be able to charge quickly on the road.

Roobicon

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I bought and installed the Jeep-branded Clipper Creek (the non-branded HCS-40 direct from CC was $100 cheaper, but there was a 12-week wait). It works awesome. Def. buy from Clipper Creek if you can To save some money.

Self installation costs were around $340 for extra materials (less if you don’t have to buy as much wiring as I did [85 ft]). The most expensive part outside the charger was the GFI 40AMP fuse — I installed the hard-wired version and needed to add a dedicated breaker. That alone was $133.

Best of luck!

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the write up! I have the Grizzl-E, and the one thing from your list that I wish I had is #5. I think it would be great to have an app track and calculate the electric supplied and report that in terms of dollars. Other than being about $300 more than the Grizzl-E, I don't think I've ever heard anything negative about the Chargepoint Home Flex.

OP
OP
wranglerbro

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Nice. I’ve been back and forth between the ChargePoint and the Clipper Creek. I’ve used both at public charging stations and they are both well built. I guess it’ll come down to pricing when I eventually do pull the trigger.

Did you already have a 240 volt outlet or did you have to have one installed? If so, which plug type did you go with? I would need one installed and I still need to research it, but I’d rather have the one that can plug in at RV campgrounds to be able to charge quickly on the road.
I had an electrician install a 240v outlet next to my fuse box for the NEMA 14-50 plug. Total cost was just over $200 for parts and labor.

Regarding Clipper Creek, they are a great company and worth the wait. Like you, I was able to try both products out prior to purchase and it was clear they’re equally well built. What held me back from going the CC direction was the lack of WIFI. Besides not being able to track my usage and costs through an app, I would have also missed out on the local credits/rebates being offered (50% cost of the unit, up to $250 - same deal for installation). Something to check on before making your purchase. If WIFI doesn’t matter to you, Clipper Creek is a great option.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wranglerbro

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Thanks for the write up! I have the Grizzl-E, and the one thing from your list that I wish I had is #5. I think it would be great to have an app track and calculate the electric supplied and report that in terms of dollars. Other than being about $300 more than the Grizzl-E, I don't think I've ever heard anything negative about the Chargepoint Home Flex.
Thanks man! Did you go with the Grizzl-e original or wifi version? I almost bought the former until I learned about the incentive requirements. Grizzl-e makes a good looking product, especially the avalanche edition.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Have had the chargepoint for about 2 years now. Great product... can't wait for my 4xe to be delivered and plug it in.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks man! Did you go with the Grizzl-e original or wifi version? I almost bought the former until I learned about the incentive requirements. Grizzl-e makes a good looking product, especially the avalanche edition.
I only have the "dumb" version of the Grizzl-E. I thought about the wi-fi upgrade, but it looks like they are better at chargers than software, so I think I'm going to pass on it. Still can't help but to be a little jealous of the Chargepoint app though!

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Figured I'd share my initial impressions of the Chargepoint Homeflex Level 2 Charger with the 4XE: So far, it's awesome.

I know there's a plethora of EV chargers to choose from these days and I was questioning whether or not it was worth buying a Level 2 charger. However, the way the industry is moving towards EVs/PHEVs, this was more of a future proof purchase and to take advantage of the Federal and Local EV rebates related to the cost of the charger and installation costs. Plus I totally dig driving around in all-electric mode and don't want to wait 12-13 hours to recharge.

FWIW, this is the same charger our electric company uses at their free EV charging locations. Given how cold and snowy it gets here during the winter, that gave me confidence to pay extra vs the cheaper off-brands being sold online.

Pros:
  1. The 4XE recognized it immediately
  2. The build quality is solid and beautifully designed
  3. Clean install
  4. WIFI connects flawlessly
  5. The app is fantastic! Tons of features, to include determining on/off peak hours and showing your charge costs based on your electric company's rates
  6. Amperage is set within the app
  7. Has the ability to be hardwired
  8. Compact size vs others (i.e. Clipper Creek was huge)
  9. The cable is well made, but not too stiff
  10. Cable management
  11. Built-in plug holder
  12. Bright light indicator
  13. 3 year warranty
  14. Super-fast charging times vs the provided Level 1 charger
Con:
  1. I wish the cable was longer (i.e. 22ft vs 25ft).
  2. Higher price than others (i.e. Grizzl-e)

Conclusion:
For those looking at level 2 chargers, I'd recommend considering a Chargepoint Homeflex, especially if your electric company provides added incentives to negate the higher cost.

I'll update if anything changes.

Jeep Wrangler JL Chargepoint HomeFlex Level 2 Charger for the 4XE Chargepoint - Copy
Nice update.
I have an Aerovironment-RS (32A) outside my garage and have been using it for about 3 years. Works great.

Also have the ChargePoint Home Flex inside my garage on a 60A circuit so it is set to 48A max (must be hardwired for that speed). It maxes out at 50A but I would need a 70A circuit to meet code. My Mach-E can only accept up to 48A so the 60A circuit is fine. I have charged the 4xe with the CPHF and it works great.....just at the slower 32A speed (which of course is totally fine).

I also have Seimens VersiCharge and Wallbox at work. I think the Wallbox is another good choice for a home EVSE since they come with a 24' cord and the premium J1772 connector. And, they can power share so that means you can install another unit on the same circuit and share power. That will be super helpful for those of you that purchase another EV to add to your stable.

CPHF does not circuit share.
I don't believe Grizzl-e does either.
Not sure about ClipperCreek. It might, but I think their unit is 32A max?
Juicebox circuit shares.
There may be others but I have not tested them yet.

Leftwork

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JlU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed the ChargePoint at my house. WOW! What a HUGE difference! 2 hr charge instead of 14 hour charge!!!

Sponsored

DukeFrisbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i/Golf R/GT350
I would have bought this one but the cable length was a deal breaker. 22' wouldn't even make it to the front of my garage and the Jeep stays out. I ended up with a generic Amazon level 2 with a 30' cable. It's been flawless so far (2.5 months).

IrishJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 T&C, '17 Grand Cherokee, '21 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Technical Writer
We had the ChargePoint installed as well. I have nothing bad to say about it. Completely in love with it. We also had the second meter installed and use it solely to charge the Jeep. Hubby is a an accountant, so he has to know to the penny how much everything is costing. :LOL: All the incentives to buy/install didn't hurt either. :giggle:

I absolutely love the difference in time between level 2 and level 1. I'll only go back to level 1 under duress. :punch:

MD13

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 WJ; 2022 JLU 4xe
Occupation
IT
Jeep Wrangler JL Chargepoint HomeFlex Level 2 Charger for the 4XE PXL_20220917_185623893 (1)
Jeep Wrangler JL Chargepoint HomeFlex Level 2 Charger for the 4XE PXL_20220915_144112270

I got the ChargePoint Home Flex because we have CP at work (free charging under he solar panels for employees!) so I only need one app to manage charging, and our electric company (Eversource) was offering rebates on the purchase and install.
Works great, no issues, love it.
Sponsored