Charge wire for Mopar JL wrangler flat tow harness

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
My 2020 JL Wrangle battery goes dead when I tow it behind the RV for more than few hours. I am not using auxiliary breaking device and I have LED lights. I do turn ignition to OFF and there is nothing plugged in or running using jeep battery power. I ordered RVi towed battery charger. Don't have it yet but I am trying to figure out how to add it to Mopar flat tow wire harness. I am sure that I am not the first one trying to do this, so I am reaching out to see if anyone has any information on the subject. Dealer that installed the harness is not able to help.
Sponsored

Flyn G

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2021 Subaru WRX
Occupation
DFJ Pilot
Sorry, Iā€™m not following your question very well, I donā€˜t think a 4 wire will work from RV to toad for more than just lights. But I just installed the RVi charger on my JL. So maybe this will help.

7 pin on my E-450 chassis through a 7 pin to 6 pin umbilical cable to a 6 pin plug on my Jeep. My RV came with a ā€hotā€ wire and I just matched the location on the 6 pin plug and ran the RVi hot wire to it and then up to the RVi Controller then the battery post.

OP
OP

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Sorry, Iā€™m not following your question very well, I donā€˜t think a 4 wire will work from RV to toad for more than just lights. But I just installed the RVi charger on my JL. So maybe this will help.

7 pin on my E-450 chassis through a 7 pin to 6 pin umbilical cable to a 6 pin plug on my Jeep. My RV came with a ā€hotā€ wire and I just matched the location on the 6 pin plug and ran the RVi hot wire to it and then up to the RVi Controller then the battery post.
Thank for reply. Not sure if you have Mopar flat tow wire harness installed. Mopar wire harness connector on the Jeep has I think 8 pin connector. 2 pin locations are empty. I will see if I can locate 12 V pin on the cable coming from the RV, install pin in one of the two empty pin spots and jump 12V pin to it. Then I can run that wire to the RVi charger. Or, I will try something different and hope that it works. I have Goal Zero 500X power station and I will try to use it as a trickle charger for my Jeep battery while I am towing.

Flyn G

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2021 Subaru WRX
Occupation
DFJ Pilot
Thank for reply. Not sure if you have Mopar flat tow wire harness installed. Mopar wire harness connector on the Jeep has I think 8 pin connector. 2 pin locations are empty. I will see if I can locate 12 V pin on the cable coming from the RV, install pin in one of the two empty pin spots and jump 12V pin to it. Then I can run that wire to the RVi charger. Or, I will try something different and hope that it works. I have Goal Zero 500X power station and I will try to use it as a trickle charger for my Jeep battery while I am towing.
No I used the CoolTech Harness. However, running 12V power from RV to front Jeep plug through the RVi unit should be the same.

MattM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Is the blue wire the charge line for the battery found in the loom from connector to harness fuse box? I had the dealer install this Mopar harness but not working after 8 months. After the battery went dead in jeep a couple times due the the Demco Duo brake system , I had Camping World install the charge line. A month later the relays in the harness blew. Dealer voided the warranty saying it was tampered with (camping world line) and could not find the right relays, so the want me to purchase a new harness. Should the dealer have connected the charge line initially?
Sponsored