Sponsored

Charge Times

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
What is everyone seeing for charge times from empty? Jeep advertises 12 hours on Level 1, and 2 hours on Level 2, but I consistently see almost 17 hours on level 1, and 2.5 hours on level 2. My actual charge times on level 2 have gone over 3 hours before! Curious what others are seeing :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Charge Times Screenshot_20210602-070354_Uconnect
Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Similar. I haven't been able to run my level 2 charger yet, only the level 1 that came with the Jeep and I'm in a spot where I have to use it off of an extension cable because the outlets close enough aren't properly grounded. I'm assuming that's why it's taking longer but I'm not positive. It generally runs around 15-16 hours for a full charge.

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
every vid i've seen say s 16 hrs on Level 1. odd tho b/c it's same battery size as rav4 phev and ours charges in 12 hrs on level 1

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Mine has been clocking in around 13 hours for a full charge on the level 1 charger that came with the 4xe. I don’t have a level 2 charger

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Yeah so far I'm at 14.5 hours. Have only charged it 7 times so far so maybe there's a breaking in period before it gets faster

Sponsored

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
When I was using my level 1, it was saying sometimes 12-16 but always finished around 12ish.
I now run a level two charger at 40amps and I see Max maybe 2hr 20 minute. So rare am I fully depleted though. Keep in mind that the type of charger that you’re using for level 2 and the amps you have going to it can affect that time.

if I look at my history, the Max it’s gone for over the last month is 2 hr 18 min

Jeep Wrangler JL Charge Times 40A361B6-2F6B-4E5A-917A-FB6EE02E60BB

OP
OP
SpaceCase

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
When I was using my level 1, it was saying sometimes 12-16 but always finished around 12ish.
I now run a level two charger at 40amps and I see Max maybe 2hr 20 minute. So rare am I fully depleted though. Keep in mind that the type of charger that you’re using for level 2 and the amps you have going to it can affect that time.
I am using a public Chargepoint for my level 2, and I have hit 3 hours before. Good to see that I seem to be having the same experience with charge times.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
I am using a public Chargepoint for my level 2, and I have hit 3 hours before. Good to see that I seem to be having the same experience with charge times.
In your ChargePoint app, there is a Charging Activity screen accessible by entering the menu. If you click on one of those full charge sessions, it will tell you how much energy was added. That would be very interesting to see. Is it about 14.5 kWh or does it vary more or less than that figure?

I have a ChargePoint at home but I use it to charge my BEV so I don't have that data point on the 4xe. Might have to switch EVSEs at home just to satisfy my curiosity.....

OP
OP
SpaceCase

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
In your ChargePoint app, there is a Charging Activity screen accessible by entering the menu. If you click on one of those full charge sessions, it will tell you how much energy was added. That would be very interesting to see. Is it about 14.5 kWh or does it vary more or less than that figure?
My 3 hour and 3 min charge time gave me 15.19 kWh. I have a 2 hour 29min charge (different charger) at 14.34 kWh

Black96z

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Machinist, Applications Engineer
Some public chargers are 6.6KW chargers because commercial voltage is ~200 and not ~240. On a Charge point charger you can look on the app to see what the max rates are. A lot are 6.6KW, which explains the longer times.

Sponsored

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Some public chargers are 6.6KW chargers because commercial voltage is ~200 and not ~240. On a Charge point charger you can look on the app to see what the max rates are. A lot are 6.6KW, which explains the longer times.
Good point. Also, some L2 stations might be sharing a circuit so if there are two plugs and both are in use then you might see a split charge rate. Then if the A/C comes on to cool the battery then it will take longer to charge because some of the power is being used by the cooling system. And sometimes the car will slow the charge rate down as it gets closer to being full.

And sometimes the hybrid portion of the battery needs to be topped off as well. Just depends on how depleted the EV and Hybrid portions of the battery are. Lots of variables. Just wait until the full BEV Wrangler is released and everyone gets all worked up about DC Fast Charge curves and sustained kW speeds.

Luckily we are 18-24 months away from that craziness still....
:)

OP
OP
SpaceCase

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
You are spot on here. I checked and the chargers are 6.6kW. Explains the discrepancy :)

AVVATX

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara

if I look at my history, the Max it’s gone for over the last month is 2 hr 18 min

Jeep Wrangler JL Charge Times 40A361B6-2F6B-4E5A-917A-FB6EE02E60BB
I am using Volta, charging stations. They are free for the first two hours, enough to charge my 4xe. At home with a level 1 usually takes about 12.5 hours
Sponsored