Sponsored

Changing to LED headlights from the standard lights?

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Just wondering if anybody here has changed to LED lighting from the standard lights? I'm only looking for the front lighting as I got the safety group which has LED tail lamps.

I figured I could probably do it much cheaper than the $1,300 they were charging. I'm just looking to replace the bulb units themselves and not the whole headlamp.

Wondering if anybody has any good suggestions for the front lights, including the fog lights and turn signal lights. I've seen some people saying it can be done for a couple hundred bucks or less but want to make sure I'm getting some good products.

Just wondering if anybody had any links to some products they've bought that worked well.

THANKS
Sponsored

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
There's no comparison to the all inclusive factory lighting package. It was $995 msrp for my 2019 JLUR. I paid about $780 for it. Just my 2 cents

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I came across these: https://www.quadratec.com/p/dv8-offroad/led-headlight-pair-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt

They look identical to the Mopar LEDs, but cost 1/3 less and, according to Quadratec, are completely plug-and-play, including the halos. They are backordered for a couple more weeks, though.

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing to LED headlights from the standard lights? 1601260882405

I did the Mopar LED upgrade: I am happy with the results overall. But between the LED headlamps ($800), the halo wiring installation ($200), and the Tazr needed to activate the halos ($300), I wouldn't recommend going the Mopar LED route; $1,300 is a lot of money for what it is.

If I knew then what I know now, I’d go with those DV8 LEDs instead.

Good luck.

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
I found bulbs from a post around here somewhere, did all the front lights for about $100, and got eBay taillights that had a resistor built-in for another $100.
the cheapest way to do it IMHO

OP
OP
tts42572

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
These look like pretty high quality. Maybe a bit more than i was looking to spend. All I really want are the bulbs themselves and don't really need the whole housing. Those look pretty nice though so maybe....

Have you seen similar items there for the fog lights and turn signals? Or maybe I'd be able to just find the bulbs for those things and buy these for the main headlights.

I came across these: https://www.quadratec.com/p/dv8-offroad/led-headlight-pair-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt

They look identical to the Mopar LEDs, but cost 1/3 less and, according to Quadratec, are completely plug-and-play, including the halos. They are backordered for a couple more weeks, though.

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing to LED headlights from the standard lights? 1601260882405

I did the Mopar LED upgrade: I am happy with the results overall. But between the LED headlamps ($800), the halo wiring installation ($200), and the Tazr needed to activate the halos ($300), I wouldn't recommend going the Mopar LED route; $1,300 is a lot of money for what it is.

If I knew then what I know now, I’d go with those DV8 LEDs instead.

Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tts42572

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Any idea which items you bought? Links?

I saw a video on You Tube that prompted me thinking about this. They just swapped out the bulbs for the headlights, fog lights and turn signal lights and it looked fairly easy. And they said the cost was around $100 total. I'm not sure exactly what products they used though.

I do only need to do the front lights. My LED lighting upgrade was going to be $1,300 and that seems silly to me for 6 LED bulbs.

I found bulbs from a post around here somewhere, did all the front lights for about $100, and got eBay taillights that had a resistor built-in for another $100.
the cheapest way to do it IMHO

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
These look like pretty high quality. Maybe a bit more than i was looking to spend. All I really want are the bulbs themselves and don't really need the whole housing. Those look pretty nice though so maybe....

Have you seen similar items there for the fog lights and turn signals? Or maybe I'd be able to just find the bulbs for those things and buy these for the main headlights.
Yes, the matching DV8 LED fog lights are half the price of the Mopars https://www.quadratec.com/p/dv8-off...r-jeep-wrangler-jl-and-gladiator-jt-bcfljl-01

MooseJeepJLUS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Altitude

I saw a video on You Tube that prompted me thinking about this. They just swapped out the bulbs for the headlights, fog lights and turn signal lights and it looked fairly easy. And they said the cost was around $100 total. I'm not sure exactly what products they used though.

I do only need to do the front lights. My LED lighting upgrade was going to be $1,300 and that seems silly to me for 6 LED bulbs.

I decided to try the bulbs themselves for around $179 and then circle back if I felt they weren't good enough to do the full assembly replacement. I have it narrowed down to Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0's or S-V4 Led headlights. Both of which carry manufacturer's warranties of 2-3 years. I watched Headlight Revolutions in depth review of these bulbs (and a couple of others) before deciding. Their review is posted here:

AlanD

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I have the SV4's Hey there great nice and white but the stock 9 reflector/headlight is terrible. By the time you get them turned down enought not to blind drivers/getting flashed, you have distressingly bright patch for about 150 maybe 200 feet. I'm saving enough to replace headlights with projectors which have a much stronger cut off.

MooseJeepJLUS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Altitude
I have the SV4's Hey there great nice and white but the stock 9 reflector/headlight is terrible. By the time you get them turned down enought not to blind drivers/getting flashed, you have distressingly bright patch for about 150 maybe 200 feet. I'm saving enough to replace headlights with projectors which have a much stronger cut off.

How do you feel the SV4 perform in high beam? I do a lot of gravel back road driving on the weekends to a buddy's house and the high beams allow for more deer reaction time. And did you have to get an adapter to stop flickering or did they work great out of the box?

Sponsored

swflfireguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired Fireman
Vehicle Showcase

Turn signal/DRL
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RJDWD4X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

headlights
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHCQ8KY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fogs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GTC8267/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AlanD

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
How do you feel the SV4 perform in high beam? I do a lot of gravel back road driving on the weekends to a buddy's house and the high beams allow for more deer reaction time. And did you have to get an adapter to stop flickering or did they work great out of the box?
Well, like I was saying they are very bright up cloe so your eyes adapt to the brightness, making it harder to see out past the light. It does light up street signs and i would assume the deers eyes but otherwise, past a couple hundred feet, not sure how much gain there would be. Watch the headlight shoot out on headlight revolutions you tube video's I still haven't found n affordable headlight so i still run the SV4 bulbs. I did not add any adapter for flickering on my 2018, right out of the box.

bjjones

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have a 2020 Sahara that had stock halogens in the front. I've installed the ORACLE Oculus Bi-LED headlights (satin silver), the oracle led fog lights, and the morimoto xb gen2 drl/turn signals. It's a huge improvement over the stock halogens and if I can install them, anyone can. :CWL:
Jeep Wrangler JL Changing to LED headlights from the standard lights? IMG_7129

OP
OP
tts42572

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Those look great! Do you have links to each of those you could share?

Assuming they'd work on the Wrangler JL too.

I have a 2020 Sahara that had stock halogens in the front. I've installed the ORACLE Oculus Bi-LED headlights (satin silver), the oracle led fog lights, and the morimoto xb gen2 drl/turn signals. It's a huge improvement over the stock halogens and if I can install them, anyone can. :CWL:
Jeep Wrangler JL Changing to LED headlights from the standard lights? IMG_7129

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
There's no comparison to the all inclusive factory lighting package. It was $995 msrp for my 2019 JLUR. I paid about $780 for it. Just my 2 cents
Technically there is a much better option over Factory LED, the less expensive and better quality light of the ORACLE Lighting Oculus Bi-LED Headlights.

You can see here the Oculus headlights out-perform the factory LED headlights in every way.

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing to LED headlights from the standard lights? wall_test_1_1024x1024

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing to LED headlights from the standard lights? wall_test_2_1024x1024

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing to LED headlights from the standard lights? wall_test_3_1024x1024
Sponsored