Sponsored

Changing out the grill inserts and fog light bezels

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
I think it’s fully possible to paint. It is held in with a single bolt on one side and a clip on the other. As you pry to get out, it twists and they have a tendency to crack. This happened to both of mine. You may have better access and it be easier with the full bumper face removed, but honestly that is a MUCH more tedious way to go and the replacement bezels are not a very expensive part.

I looked at itin a couple of ways. First, going this route wasto be considerably quicker / easier. Also, even if I had been able to get mine out without cracking, I preferred a new OEM part vs painted as I didn’t want to deal with pealing and cracking of whatever I sprayed not lasting over time.

that said, it is entirely possible.
Sponsored

JWAustinVTX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
I would like to just paint the fog light bezels instead of replacing them. Can someone explain why so many of them are getting broken when removing them? It seems like I might need to remove the entire bumper cover to avoid cracking them...
When replacing you don't have to worry about paint chipping, chips you might already have in the plastic etc.

I was able to remove them without cracking and gave them to another member.

JeepRx

First Name
Taz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sahara
Looking for a pair of silver fog light bezels if anyone has changed them out for black

Deepc408

First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler North Edition
Occupation
Eng.
Has anyone found a YouTube video on how to change the bezels? the part im stuck on is how to get the chrome bumper out and the nut that goes with it.

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I'm about to order the parts to do the fog light bezel swap and the blacked out grille. This thread has been helpful, but I've got a few questions. You remove the tabs to get to the screw holding the outer edge of the bezel. From there, are people use pry tools from the front of the jeep to dislodge the silver bezel? I'm also not clear on how get the new bezels installed. Any pro tips here are greatly appreciated. I'm not mechanically inclined, but learning! I've got a crystal granite and this looks amazing. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Woodynj

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'm about to order the parts to do the fog light bezel swap and the blacked out grille. This thread has been helpful, but I've got a few questions. You remove the tabs to get to the screw holding the outer edge of the bezel. From there, are people use pry tools from the front of the jeep to dislodge the silver bezel? I'm also not clear on how get the new bezels installed. Any pro tips here are greatly appreciated. I'm not mechanically inclined, but learning! I've got a crystal granite and this looks amazing. Thanks in advance.
When I took the bezels out I cracked one, the other came out no issue. The snap in so they do take a little force to pry out. If you are replacing it really does not matter. Doubt there is much of a market for the old ones.

Once the old are out the news one pop right back in. Just don’t forget to take the nut out of the old and install into the new one. The just put that screw back in from the back side of the bumper.

Just take your time and it should be no big deal.
Good luck!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2021 JLU Sahara Diesel
Has anyone found a YouTube video on how to change the bezels? the part im stuck on is how to get the chrome bumper out and the nut that goes with it.
I know this is an old post but I'm going to be doing this soon and this thread was super helpful! This is a video I found that covers everything. Hope it's helpful!

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to everyone for your directions, photos and help. I'm halfway there, having changed out the silver bezels. I wanted to share a couple of photos and tips, for those like me, who are less mechanically inclined. In short, this isn't a hard mod.

Once you gain access and remove the screw, put the new bezel up where the old bezel is still in place. You'll see where the clips are in place. Start from the top right with a pry tool and at the same time, wedge a credit card once you can see you've cleared the clip. Keep that in place and work your way to the left. This makes it so the clips remain free. Once you finish the top, undoing the one at the lower far edge of the bumper will make it easy to jiggle the bezels out. The more you free up, the easier it gets.

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing out the grill inserts and fog light bezels IMG_3604

Once you pop it off, you'll see the clip that you need to remove. As others have stated, use needle nose pliers and push it from the back out the front. Squeezing and pushing will set it free.

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing out the grill inserts and fog light bezels IMG_3608

It snaps in top down into the new bezel. Here you can see where it's partially out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing out the grill inserts and fog light bezels IMG_3605

When placing the new bezel in the bumper start from the inside and work your way out putting the clips in place. This should be super easy. They gently snap into place.
Jeep Wrangler JL Changing out the grill inserts and fog light bezels IMG_3609

Put your original bolt back and the plugs. That's it!

I'm super happy with the results. Next up is the grille!

Before and after.

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing out the grill inserts and fog light bezels pre

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing out the grill inserts and fog light bezels both

Awickedbeast

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Sahara Unlimited High Altitude
Occupation
Factory Mechanic
It looks like you did a great job. You did a nice write up with pics to help others do this. Take your time with the grill and you will be all done. One tip I can share is lay your grill on a towel to keep from scuffing it up while your working on removing the silver. You can do it.

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know this is an old post but I'm going to be doing this soon and this thread was super helpful! This is a video I found that covers everything. Hope it's helpful!
Thank you. That was super helpful. So many clips! The top corner clips on the edge of each light are my least favorite. The key for me was patience. I took plenty of pictures to make sure I put it back together properly. Looks great, but it's dark, so no photo to share. I'll snap a picture tomorrow. Overall, I'm thrilled with the blacked out bezels and grille. A little bit of black plastic goes a long way towards changing the look of the Jeep. So great.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2021 JLU Sahara Diesel
Thank you. That was super helpful. So many clips! The top corner clips on the edge of each light are my least favorite. The key for me was patience. I took plenty of pictures to make sure I put it back together properly. Looks great, but it's dark, so no photo to share. I'll snap a picture tomorrow. Overall, I'm thrilled with the blacked out bezels and grille. A little bit of black plastic goes a long way towards changing the look of the Jeep. So great.
Yes! Those damn top corner clips had me scratching my head for a while. Finally some not-so-light force got them out. Glad I didn't break any! Enjoy your blacked out grille!

Awickedbeast

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Sahara Unlimited High Altitude
Occupation
Factory Mechanic
Yes, those top corner clips can be a pain in the a**. I’m enjoying the blacked out grille and I hope you are too. It’s amazing how dramatic of a change it made going from the silver to the black.

94C5CED0-F4FD-462A-8F32-83E5331895C1.jpeg

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's dirty, but here's a look at the final front end project with fog light bezels, grill inserts and license plate frame for good measure. Loving it!

Jeep Wrangler JL Changing out the grill inserts and fog light bezels jee

mvng4wd

First Name
Keno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's - 3.0L EcoDiesel
Occupation
Municipal Community Services Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Hoping that someone from this thread can tell me if the inner panel of the bezel can be removed with a trim tool?

219CB436-FBB9-46A3-BF82-35A65E8BB315_1_201_a.jpeg
Sponsored